Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By BluemanSailor
  • 2 Post By Tim R.
  • 1 Post By mitiempo

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2013

BluemanSailor is on a distinguished road
Electric heaters and boat connections

To all my fellow live boards in the cold Northeast and PNW area, PLEASE CHECK ALL your power cord connections this winter. There was a fire last winter at out marine due to the poorly maintained power cord connections.
BoatUS says that 1 cause of boat fires is AC and DC wiring/appliance - 55%
I noticed one day that my cord felt warm where it was plugged in to the boat, “thought that shouldn’t be” checked the connector and this is what I found!

A lot of corrosion and some of the plastic plug was melted.
Here’s how all my connectors looked ….

Time to replace them – nice new connectors, I really liked the new Furrion plugs – really well made.

Here’s an article I copied from the Marinco site..
“What to look for...
Examine the ends of the shore power cords. Look for discoloration or melting around the blades of the plug (male end) and around the slots on the connector (female end). Examine the face of the inlet on the boat and look for discoloration or melting around the blades and the inlet. Examine the receptacle on the dock and look for discoloration or deterioration around the slots.

What causes overheating…
If a device shows signs of overheating, it is generally caused by one or two conditions: corrosion on the metal blades or contacts, or bad connections between the wiring device and the wires connected to it. Severely corroded blades or contacts are a result of exposure to a corrosive environment, most commonly salt water. If the ends of the cord set are dropped into salt water and not properly cleaned and dried, the contacts will eventually corrode. Corroded contacts do not make a good electrical connection and overheating results. Bad connections between a wiring device and the electrical wires can be a result of loose termination, corrosion on the wires or terminals, or the wires not being stripped properly so the wire insulation is under the terminals. A bad connection will result in overheating of the terminal, and this will be visible on the face of the wiring device.

What to do…
If a wiring device shows signs of overheating, it should be replaced immediately. Do not wait for the problem to get worse. When replacing wiring devices, examine the electrical wire and make sure the wire strands are clean, and are not corroded. Even a new device cannot make a good connection to corroded wire.
Many boat owners think overheating is a result of over loading the circuit, but this is rarely the case. A bad connection in an inlet will also cause the mating connector to overheat. All too frequently a boat owner will merely continue to replace his connector, not realizing the inlet is causing the problem. Both devices should be replaced in order to prevent the problem from happening again.

The same is true for the plug and the receptacle on the dock.”
http://www.marinco.com/files/media/g...#39;sGuide.pdf
So please everyone who keeps their boat plugged in with electric heaters over the winter take a moment and check your connectors..
Dave_E likes this.

New boat sailblog -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BluemanSailor For This Useful Post:
Dave_E (12-09-2013), Lothario (12-09-2013)
Old 12-09-2013

Dave_E is on a distinguished road
Re: Electric heaters and boat connections

Good Advice, thanks!
Allmand Sail 31 #15 "Traveler"
GOD, Family, career
Old 12-09-2013

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

Great info. Before replacing any of these components look into Smartplugs. I replaced my whole system with these last year.

http://www.smartplug.com/learn.html
jimrafford and Delta-T like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Tim R.; 12-09-2013 at 02:27 PM.
Old 12-09-2013

BluemanSailor is on a distinguished road

I did look into them, but they where 2x as much and I still have a lot of refitting and stuff to buy for the boat.

But they do look great! But the new Furrion are really nice..

New boat sailblog -

Old 12-09-2013

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

Don't compare the MSRPs of the Smartplugs. Hamilton Marine has some great deals on these compared to Smartplug's website. They are more but well worth it for my boats and my families safety.

~$90 for the inlet and ~$130 for the cord. Or you could convert your existing cord for ~$45.

-----------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Tim R.; 12-09-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old 12-09-2013

Group9 is on a distinguished road

What are the pros/cons to using some kind of conduction grease, like dielectric conductive grease, on the the shore power connections?

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 12-12-2013

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
What are the pros/cons to using some kind of conduction grease, like dielectric conductive grease, on the the shore power connections?
Dielectric means not conductive. A conductive compound could lead to a short circuit if it contacted 2 prongs of the plug. Dielectric grease is not a bad idea I guess though, although I haven't seen anyone doing that.

One thing to keep in mind is that a 30 amp plug system is rated for 24 amps continuous, 30 amps intermittently.

The Smartplug is a good idea, about time the twist lock Marinco type were upgraded - the design is faulty really as well as being about 80 years old.

In Canada (at least in B.C.) many insurance companies give a 10% one year discount for switching to the Smartplug.
Delta-T likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to mitiempo For This Useful Post:
Group9 (12-12-2013)
Old 12-12-2013

Lurking and Looking is on a distinguished road

Dielectric grease is really only good for prevention of corrosion... Quite frankly, I don't think it would help in the OP case... The plug looks "old" in the first place, and let's face it, I really doubt the boat was designed to use electric heaters and all the other electric gadgets now on board in the first place.

Boats have very few 110 outlets in the first place... add electric heater(s), micro, laptops, phone and what ever electronic devices you may have and you are quickly reaching the outer limits of that 30amp connection...

Look at a lot of newer boats that have 2 shore power connections... I wonder why...
The Following User Says Thank You to Lurking and Looking For This Useful Post:
Group9 (12-12-2013)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.