Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2005

FRRizzo111 is on a distinguished road
Learning to Cruise in MD

I recently bought my first boat, a Precision 21. My wife and love it. I would like to improve my skills and gain confidence on larger boats, so I one day can feel comfortable bare boating a 30+ sailboat. Does anyone have any good recommendations for sailing schools or programs along the Chesapeake Bay, not too far a drive from Washington DC?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-11-2005

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Learning to Cruise in MD

Womanship offers a really good advanced cruising course but of course only your wife would be able to take the course.

J-world has a really great course in boat handling which deals with performance boat skills.

I am not a big fan of Annapolis Sailing School. They tend to be be a little breezy in their approach to subjects but I understand that they offer some ASA courses aimed at developing chartering skills.

I am going through a divorce and so have been single-handing a lot lately. I am based in Annapolis. If it worked out, I would be glad to take you both out on my boat to give you some sense of larger boat handling.

Regards,
Jeff
Old 03-15-2005

Bruceo1 is on a distinguished road
Learning to Cruise in MD

We took our first few sailing lessons with Baysail in Havre deGrace and would recommend them highly for introductory sailing courses, through ASA 103-104. For the rest of the ASA courses, we went to The Maryland School of Sailing and Seamanship and would also recommend them highly. I think that Baysail is better for the introductory courses because they use smaller boats. The Maryland School uses Island Packets and are really good for the more advanced courses.

Bruce
Old 03-20-2005

A_Bellow is on a distinguished road
Learning to Cruise in MD

We hear Halpern teaches women to sail on his "Synergy", hence the primary reason for his divorce....he owns a pretty nice chic magnet in Annapolis. Go for it, but don''t expect to stay married once your wife gets a look at Jeff''s equipment!
Old 03-21-2005

DougSVAndiamo is on a distinguished road
Learning to Cruise in MD

Jeff took me and my fiance out sailing on Synergy before we bought our boat. He is a very good teacher, very patient. We both learned a lot. Be prepared for a flood of information, a bit overwelming at times but he is good at explaining things. He is funny to watch as he moves around the boat tweaking this and that but he knows what he is doing as the helm will suddenly balance out almost by magic. Synergy is a cool boat to sail on.

I am sorry to hear that he is going through a divorce. Both he and his wife were nice to us when we were there.

Old 05-17-2005

sailnaway is on a distinguished road
Learning to Cruise in MD

Hi Jeff
Well we made it down south and are anchored in Marathon after days and days of northers. I was sitting on the hook and the wind changed directions and hiding behind a big boat was an old FOLK BOAT she is fully rigged and painted blue. No name on her and looking sad but I thought of old days gone by and thought EASY ON / BALLARINA might still be alive. I am at the library and will check back in a few days when the lobster and rum run out hahahah. Hope all is well my friend take care.
Jim J
Old 06-02-2005

kristenmiller is on a distinguished road
Learning to Cruise in MD

hey Jeff,
so I just dropped in on this conversation, and I''d love to have a flood of information and be overwhelmed!
my fiance and I bought a 34 foot sailboat in the fall, we''re refurbishing it right now after sailing from Sept. through November.
If your offer extends to others, let me know, any and all sailing experience and experties is welcome.

Kristen
Old 06-02-2005

JeffC_ is on a distinguished road
Learning to Cruise in MD

A_Bellow,

Your post was less than civil. Passing on gossip, then using someone''s personal pain as captial for jokes, in a public forum that he is likely to read, is at the least insensitive, and at the most, purposefully cruel.
______
Don''t mean to make you uncomfortable by taking up the sword in your defense, Jeff, but I just couldn''t stand by.
Old 06-03-2005
Senior Nappy Headed Ho

Denr is an unknown quantity at this point
Learning to Cruise in MD

Hey isn''t that what these messages boards are for, to impugn reputations, offer character assignations and the general spread of ill will? I love Jeff_H''s comments about the instructors being a bit "breezy", isn''t that the pot calling the kettle black?
Old 06-03-2005

HenkMeuzelaar is on a distinguished road
Learning to Cruise in MD

As the saying goes:

"Old salts dream of voyages;

newbies fret over equipment; and

wannabees talk about other sailors"

Have fun!

Flying Dutchman
"Rivendel II", Port Vila, Vanuatu