Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2005

c25 is on a distinguished road
Where not to go on Lake Mich

Irwin,

I worked the race committee boat a number of times last year on your wednesday night races (prior to buying a boat..now I probably won''t have the time). A buddy of mine is a RYC member...he sails the S2 7.9 vinikula (sp?).
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-24-2005
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough

JeffC,

Congrats on picking up on the Yogi Berra line in my prior response about South Haven. It only took someone a month on here to spot that!

I looked at this post the same way I do when someone asks for my favorite gunkhole on the Chesapeake. NO WAY am I giving that info out!
Old 04-24-2005

Irwin32 is on a distinguished road

I think that is Navicula, isn''t it? I really don''t know him though we have spoken a few times. What type of boat did you buy?
Old 04-25-2005

c25 is on a distinguished road

Irwin,

I picked up Cal 25 last fall. I''ve been a power boater for many years and wanted to give the ''dark side'' or ''light side'' a try, depending on your point of view...I guess the light side on this board. I consider the Cal a practice boat in a number of ways (maitenance as well as sailing). If all goes well then I''ll step up a few feet(5-7) in 2-3 years.
Old 02-23-2006

sailingchi is on a distinguished road
where not to go on Lake Michigan

I honestly don't know what the fuss is about with Waukegan. I will admit the town isn't the greatest, but I have had my boat there for 4 year and haven't really had any issue with people. If you're looking for a picture perfect location, I'd move on. But the ice is at the dock, bathrooms are always clean and there's 24 security. Haven't been to the yacht club and don't know that I need to.

For my choice, I'd say stay away from Beaver Island. Docks aren't that great and the people on the island are, well 'strange'.
Old 02-23-2006

Irwin32 is on a distinguished road
Having stayed several places, I think you are right about Waukeegan Municipal. The town, as you said, is no great shakes. If I were cruising, just the town would make me consider elsewhere.

My experiences on Beaver are good having dealt with only locals as opposed to summer residents and tourists. We had a real nice conversation with several locals about life on the island. Found the bartenders pretty friendly, too. We ended up getting together for a jam session with some local musicians that was a lot of fun.

I also avoid Monroe St. Harbor in Chicago. Gets pretty nasty in a SE and fees are very high. I do, however, like the Colombia YC.
Old 02-23-2006

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
As Monroe is my home port, I can attest, it does get pretty sloppy. I've had a boat in that harbor for over 25 years now.
In general Chicago is not a boater friendly city. Its too bad, we have some of the best resources and entertainment around. We as boaters have been trying for years to get the city to make improvements. By the time any improvements are made, maybe my Grandchildren will be able to enjoy them.
Over the years I've learned to play the game and have enjoyed sailing out of Monroe very much. We do have a wonderful backdrop for sailing, The Chicago Skyline makes it worth all the hassles.