Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2005

flyhop is on a distinguished road
Dufour Atoll 43

I''m interested to hear from anyone with first hand knowledge (second hand would do) on the sailing ability of the Dufour Atoll series. How does she handle? Can she go close to the wind? Tacking? Heeling? Responsiveness? Any thought you have would be appreciated.

Double helm control. I''m assuming that''s due to the large galley/salon right in front of the helm, and a helmsman would have to shift from one side to the other to see what coming at them. Is this an awkward setup?

What about storage? Bluewater crusing the Carribean could be in our future, and the price of these boats seems reasonable. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-19-2010

redoz is on a distinguished road
Dufour Atoll 43

Im interested to hear wether you got any feed back on the dufour Atoll 43
Old 04-19-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Well, they ain't pretty....

We've seen a few of these down in the Caribbean... odd ducks with that covered cockpit/galley/lounge. With such a large doghouse the sight lines would be horrible from a central wheel, so I suppose that's one rationale for the twin wheels (other than it's trendy but these are not really new boats)

I imagine they are based on otherwise standard Dufour hulls so they probably sail not too bad as long as the deck layout isn't hugely compromised by the huge covered area.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-19-2010

gtod25 is on a distinguished road
I delivered one.......

Run, do not walk....run away from this unmitigated piece of S%^t.......

Horrible sailor, horrible rigging, weird cabins, sails like a pig......

Ahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-19-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
What the hell happened to that boat????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-19-2010

gtod25 is on a distinguished road
Its was a hybrid....

of a cat layout in a monohull. They managed to combine the worst qualities of both types of vessels into one boat. I almost never criticize a boat in front of the owners but this one left me speechless.

Old 04-19-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Yeah, it looks like the cabin of a Lagoon or Fountaine Pajot got stuck on a monohull.. UGH...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtod25 View Post
of a cat layout in a monohull. They managed to combine the worst qualities of both types of vessels into one boat. I almost never criticize a boat in front of the owners but this one left me speechless.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-20-2010

Thanks guys, sounds like a dog...
Any thoughts on any thing else, dont want to live in a submarine though
Old 05-13-2010

Bliss42 is on a distinguished road
Redoz I own an Atoll 43 and have for the past 6 years. I don't agree with either the descriptions of the boat, hull or sailing ability. First the hull is designed by Phillipe Briand. He knows a thing or two about yachts. Second, I am not sure what the delivery trip was that created the impression it was a pig but apart from going to windward, especially in a chop, when it does not point well, it performs better than could be expected from first glance. It does however need to be sailed and some thought given to sail balance. But so does every yacht, Atoll demanding a bit more care than most to obtain proper performance. Third, the amenity of the yacht far outweighs any reservations about its looks. It is a party upstairs, sleep downstairs configuration. The galley and saloon are on the one level and adjacent, separated only by a huge fridge and cupboard. Deck space is expansive. It may not be to everyone's taste but she was a very successful charter boat for 5 years and kept by me after that for private use. My family love it. It is not a passage maker. Although having said that we have done many miles inside the Barrier Reef.
Last, I spent 12 months with my family cruising in a "submarine" and apart from foul weather or adverse conditions the Atoll was far far preferable. Go have another look at one. Regards
Old 05-13-2010

Atoll 43

Thanks Bliss42,
appreciate the effort with the reply. The living space is what Im after as you suggested. I was looking at one in the Carribean, Im in Perth, so sounds like bringing it home might be testing. Sounds good as a coastal cruiser or island hopper with plenty of party room. How does she go for speed?
cheers