Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2005
Senior Nappy Headed Ho

Denr is an unknown quantity at this point
Dreams of Sunsets, Rum & Island Life

Maybe you should start out with a Trawler!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-15-2005

TomS is on a distinguished road

Twenty years ago, I dropped out of "the race"to become a sailor. I had a twenty-three foot Columbia sailboat. After I gave away my suits and ties,and sold my car,tv, steroe, and everything else that required 110vac power, I moved on board my little boat. While waiting to find a boat that needed crew, I worked in a ship''s store to learn the proper nomenclature of boat parts. All the while, sailing my boat under all kinds of conditions. And I told everyone that I met that I wanted to go sailing. Wasn''t it Tristan Jones that said, "Never sail your own boat when you can sail someone elses." I sailed as crew for awhile, then as captain. That was twenty something years ago. I am still playing with boats, living aboard a boat, and the remarkable thing is that as I get older, people assume I get smarter. What a life!
Old 04-22-2005

MarcellaRio is on a distinguished road

First of all, JeffC is right about the "Handbook of Sailing" by Bob Bonds.
My husband, coming from farmland in Oklahoma, dreamed of sailing. It was his biggest most desired dream a man could ever contain. He never really thought he would do it. He read that book and learned SO much. The day we set out for the first time together for a sea trial on our first sailboat, I, like you, was hooked. It took a month before it hit him. He had his sailboat and was about to fulfill his dream.
We are now in Guatemala and love it!
Of course our family and friends, even to this day, think we are nuts and clueless. But the day we arrived at Isla Mujeres, after a 7 day crossing from Pensacola Florida, the joy and achievement my husband felt was priceless and made my heart soar. His comment was simple, "No matter what happens after this, that can''t be taken from me." The ''that'' he spoke of was living his dream...sailing his boat, across the Gulf, through everything dealt to us during that passage. Beat to hell, more bruises than we could count, tired, grungy, and hungry suddenly didn''t seem so bad when we sailed upon something we thought was a wad of floating seaweed and turned out to be a huge seaturtle. We were just five yards from it when it dove under. We could not have gotten that close in a power boat, and we could not have seen that beauty if we had listened to our family and friends. You tell me who the clueless ones are.
Now, as far as the dog issue goes. There are several people who have brought their dogs along on their voyages. If you have the right health certificate, you shouldn''t have a problem. Email different Countries'' Embassies to see what they reccommend. Dogs are actually great security (especially when anchored).
As for the ice maker, you may want to look at a 110/12v refrigerator/freezer.
Finally, to the question you posed about making a living abroad. Even here in the Rio Dulce there are cruisers making livings by utilizing their trades. There are sail repairers, canvas makers, computer geeks, electricians, etc. Also, look at the possibility of managing a marina. There are many marinas around here and other places that use cruisers as managers of the marinas. In some cases you just get a free slip, and some others offer a commission or pay along with the free slip.
Look at the places you want to visit, then plan around your budget. Some places cost a lot more than others. The Western Caribbean is cheaper in Mexico, Guatemala, and farther south. Belize can be about US prices (and more for US products). There are ways to stretch the budget.
Either way, it''s your choice to sit on the sidelines and ''coulda-shoulda-woulda'' in your later life or live the dream that burns inside you.
Here''s to dreaming,
Christal
Old 04-22-2005

MarcellaRio is on a distinguished road

Sorry, forgot about the cruising guide.
You don''t want to cruise the western caribbean without Freya Rauscher''s crusing guide to Mexico, Belize, and Guatemala.
The charts say they aren''t for navigation, but most cruisers wouldn''t be this far down here in the Rio without them. They are great charts in her book!
Christal
Old 04-23-2005

starcresttoo is on a distinguished road

leave the dog home.it may look like a tasty meal wherever you go,if they dont eat their dead.
Old 08-26-2005

oceanmaui is on a distinguished road

Heheheh!
:O)
Old 08-26-2005

sneuman is on a distinguished road

marcellario:

Through life, you will always encounter the naysayers and the stay-at-homes. Unfortunately, those people are often part of your own family. But their skepticism makes your triumph even more sweet.

When I was 28 and decided to go live and work as a freelance journalist in India, my family thought I was nuts too. A decade later, I am still living (and making a living!) in Asia. The experience has been life changing. If I''d listened to family and friends, I''d still be in Indiana.

That isn''t to say some ventures aren''t risky - they are. But too many Americans have lost touch with their past. Was it the naysayers who left the Old World behind (family, friends, country, culture ...) and settled the American West? Not. So, why have so many Americans turned into risk-averse panzies?

There''s nothing wrong with calculated risks -taking them, and the satisfaction of overcoming them, are among the few real joys in life.
Old 08-30-2005

captronb is on a distinguished road

Forget the watermaker. They cost more in maintenance than the water you could buy with the money. In Georgetown Exuma, water was $.10 a gallon at the marina and free at the Exuma Marketsdinghy dock...both good R/O.

Forget the ice maker ... small refrigeration units are much lower battery drain especially in a well insulated box.

Rum is cheap in the Bahamas and Caribbean.

Learn to sail on a small boat ... i.e. Hobie Wave (great learn to sail boats), Sunfish, Pram. Then try a bigger boat. I used to teach a Learn to Sail class on Hobie Waves ... less than 10 hours of instruction would get most people soloing.
Old 12-07-2006

Fareast is on a distinguished road
Christal,

Your husband is a lucky man, and your post was powerful. I agree with you 100%.

Mike and Paula
S/V Tivioli
Old 01-07-2007

Kuhntar is on a distinguished road
I just wanted to say that this is a GREAT thread. Yeshua, I am in the same boat as you (kewl pun huh?). I grew up in Illinois and I have been on a sailboat for all of 2 hours in my life. I am now in Iraq hording away and dreaming of the day when I too can cast off.

To everyone else this has been really informative as to the process of moving aboard and eventually sailing away. However, I still have a question. When I come back to the states I will hopefully have a job in Tampa and I would like to live aboard. Is it really a bad idea to just buy one boat say 28-32' to learn and live on?