Help choosing the project and the designer/naval architect. - Page 6 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2014

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Help choosing the project and the designer/naval architect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou452 View Post
I think it is a typo ? I make them all the time. Your post # 29 would seem to indicate Dr. Stanly is average or just a sailor that happens to be on a boat ? the use of the word not. " Not a top sailor " I read most of what you post because it is so good.
Good day, Lou
There are not top sailors with 76 years of age not even if he would have been once one. After 50 everybody starts to lose abilities and capacities that loss increases substantially after 60 and even more after 70.

Not a problem continuing sailing after 60, or 70 or even 80 but taking into account our own limitations that come naturally with age. Dr Santley was not cruising at a leisure pace but doing a non stop navigation with a very powerful boat trying to beat a record. Beating records is a form of racing and I don't think it makes any sense racing with well over 70 years, neither sailing solo a very powerful boat.

Grafare, sorry this detour about the subject of this thread.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-11-2014

grafare is on a distinguished road

No problem, my friend. BTW, I have a blog where I put all the info gathered around. You can access it on: Aventura de Magalhães
Old 01-11-2014
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

I hope the off topic can be overlooked. Sorry about that.
PCP should be of great help. He seems to be able to pick some of the best boats to match up with the folks that wish to use them.
He shares a language and some things can not be translated. Brazil is a great place.
For me If I was going to have a metal boat I would want to look at the aluminum. Its wide spread use is on the rise. Pop cans all over the place. Welding and the ability to weld it is advancing. Many welding machines are now coming with this option. Technology will only move forward at an ever increasing pace. They know a lot more about anodes now then they did even ten years ago. I say this as a welder with a fair amount of time in the trade. Steel has some very good things going for it. Steel is still a good choice. Aluminum would seem to have a lot of what you seem to be looking for. Wood and fiberglass is good but far from what you want.
Good day, Lou
Old 01-12-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafare View Post
No problem, my friend. BTW, I have a blog where I put all the info gathered around. You can access it on: Aventura de Magalhães
Ok, I had a look at your site and it seems you are for real

So a last suggestion: Some years back I was seriously thinking in a boat for doing pretty much what you are doing and the boat I liked more was this one by Dick Zall:

Interesting Sailboats

It joins a fantastic seaworthiness, a decent speed and the ability to go anywhere or to seek shelter near the coast, on anchor, due to the lifting keel.

This boat is built in Holland by a small shipyard and is very expensive but I found out that Dick Zall has a study for a similar boat on is portfolio of standard designs, this one:

http://www.dickzaalyachtdesign.nl/ya...einfo/?id=1432

I like the boat but I did not wanted a boat with a racing outlook. I wanted a boat with a pilot house that would serve not only for steering the boat (Joy stick) but also to have a sea berth that allows an easy surveillance of everything at the middle of the night, just by seating and looking around.

I modified that design in what regards the interior also making it a bit longer (88cms) as a way to fit everything and to have the space to carry a small dinghy on a garage. I contacted Dick Zall and asked him if he could change his plans accordingly with my drawings. He said yes, for a small amount regarding the cost of the original plans.

This was what I have draw:

Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Live changed and I did not went ahead with this project.
If eventually this is of any use to you I can give you the plans as they are, providing you give me a ride on your boat when you pass by Portugal or the Med, just to look how it looks and sails.

That Zall design is still a modern one, a light boat with a big B/D ratio, a huge stability and lots of sail. If you don't want all that sail you can always have a smaller rig and keep the stability. I was planning in doing that since for questions related with simplicity and interior I was not planning in using the water ballast tanks that are previewed on the design.

I don't know the cost of doing a boat like this in Brazil but surely it would be a lot less than the cost of an Atlantic 43.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 01-12-2014 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-12-2014
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Size: It is my intention to have the bigger boat possible that I can single hand it.
Not really a problem with care, thought, and good judgment. I single hand boats to 50 feet regularly and sometimes to 60 feet.

Quote:
I still need to come up with a shortlist of designers and projects. Without that, it will be very hard to come up with a budget and strategy to manage this project. So far, I came across: Van de Stadt, Berckemeyr, Olivier van Meer, Marc Lombard, Ted Brewer, Dick Zaal, Tanton, Dudley Dix, Ted Brewer and Roberto Barros (Cabinho).
At the risk of adding to your list I suggest you add German Frers, who have an office in Argentina, and Farr Yacht Design. In the case of the latter talk to Jim Schmicker and tell him Dave Skolnick referred you.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 01-12-2014

Jim, any good NA with experience in aluminium or steel boats will be able to custom design a boat that will fit his needs. The problem here is that a custom design can costs 10 times more than a stock project that is an existent project that is available and sold to several clients as it is. To my knowledge neither German and Frers neither Farr Yacht Design has stock plans.

Old 01-12-2014

copacabana is on a distinguished road

Grafare, if I may add to the advice being given ... why not use Thierry Stump as your designer (he did Amyr Klink's Paratii 2) and use Amyr's yard outside São Paulo. They are both probably the best in the country for aluminium work. Personally, I'd buy something used in the US and go sailing. Any boat boat building project in Brazil is going to cost a fortune, as you probably know by now.

Last edited by copacabana; 01-12-2014 at 02:47 PM.
Old 01-12-2014

outbound is on a distinguished road

Think the small 54' bougainvillea would fit his bill with Dr some mods. He may also want to speak with Ed Joy
Old 01-12-2014

copacabana is on a distinguished road

Links:

.. Equipe Thierry Stump ..

Amyr's estaleiro is in Itapevi-SP, but I can't find the link to it right now.

Boa sorte!
Old 01-12-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by copacabana View Post
Links:

.. Equipe Thierry Stump ..

Amyr's estaleiro is in Itapevi-SP, but I can't find the link to it right now.

Boa sorte!
Yes it makes sense to use a good and experienced aluminum shipyard, or at least a crew that works for them but I guess they will be happy to build any good design from a any other NA. I saw what they have done and It seems well done but not really any design I really like.

Why do you say that the building in Brazil would be very expensive? I thought that it should be a lot less expensive than in Europe.

Regards

Paulo