Not a Member? 

Like Tree31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road
Re: Just Do It--You're Not Getting Any Younger

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
A good friend of mine used to say the same thing. He reached his 50's relatively well preserved with lots of plans. Five days before his retirement, he suffered a massive stroke. He lived, like a vegetable, for another two weeks or so. Tomorrow isn't guaranteed. A year off likely won't kill you at 48. Seven years might.
There is only a slight chance of being killed by the sea. There is a one hundred percent chance of dying of old age, or disease. Why be more scared of the sea, than of life?

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-05-2014

youmeandthed is on a distinguished road

I saw this post and it intruigued me. First off, go when you feel like going. If you aren't ready, then wait. And when you do go my recomendation is to go slow, take your time and enjoy the journey. You will most likely only be in an area of the world once, so milk it for all it's worth.

Our experiece was; we had little money, bought a boat and just took it sailing (3 weeks in the yard). We had very little experience and we just took it one day at a time. When I hear of people spending years at the marina it makes me feel better about our boat having things done to it now, after two years of cruising, while we work back home; instead of working on the boat for 3 years and then cruising. But that is what is best for us.

When it comes to age, I laugh, we left in our mid twenties after squeezing dimes out of pennies back home and having a tough time with jobs ( recent graduates in a bad economy). We had done very well for ourselves considering the circumstances. When we left, people said we were young and weren't supposed to get good careers, so we rented our place out and went sailing. We were then 10 years younger than the "young" crowd out cruising. And everyone treated each other with mutual respect, something missing back home. When we finally went back home, we were treated as if we were even younger than before. It is a strange feeling when you are nearing on thirty, you have a home, degrees, amazing and difficult life experiences under your belt and society treats you like you are just out of highschool. Maybe wat I am saying is age doesn't account for **** these days.

I digress, I would recomend for those thinking of cruising to go when you feel ready. If you pack up everything and leave today you will probably be fine, and if you wait a few years you may or may not be better off. The hardest part is finding the right balance for you and who you are.
jerryrlitton and Sal Paradise like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-06-2014

Yofy is on a distinguished road

Its easy to say go when your young and it does work for those who are lucky enough to live in a economy that allows them to find work and to save. In our case we spent 10 years looking for work and trying to scrape together the funds just to buy our first boat. It took us another 7 years to raise the funds to go cruising. We were 40 by that time.

I envy those who could do it in their twenties but we never gave up the dream.
Robyn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-06-2014

Youth is so wasted on the young.
mrhoneydew likes this.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 01-06-2014

Unkle Toad is on a distinguished road

my plan keeps on changing but I have the boat. and now I'm looking closer at the finances. if I can come up with a plan that will realistically get me a little better income while traveling I will spend a couple years around the Puget sound gunk holing and expanding (knowledge, buisness contacts, skills) if in the next few months I can not come up with a plan then Im going to head out somewhat sooner and see how it goes. Heck I live in the Puget Sound.. maybe Ill just cruise here full time for the next 20 years and manage to see 15% of the Sound.
mrhoneydew and Rhapsody-NS27 like this.
Old 01-06-2014
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

I've owned a lot of boats during my 73 years on this planet. Most were power boats, some measuring up to 75 feet, but the best adventure was aboard my 33 Morgan Out Island when I took it down to Marathon Florida from the upper reaches of Chesapeake Bay. The trip, at age 72 was exciting, but the absolute best part about the trip was all the wonderful people I met along the way. Cruisers are ALL wonderful people, and my fondest wish is to meet them all again in 2015, when I fully intend to make that trip again. My wife says if I do she will divorce me, and if that's the case so be it. I've been married to this woman for 51 years at this point, so I don't think she'll actually carry through with the threat, but if she does, there are a lot of nice ladies that I've met over these many years that would love to enjoy the adventurous live aboard with me.

Gary
Old 01-07-2014
1984 Bene First 35'

gbgreen59 is on a distinguished road

Travel, I hope your spouse isn't reading this forum. If she is, I think after 51 years you two are probably "happy to be stuck with" each other.
Old 01-08-2014

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

Lot's of time. The best is that once you've tried elderly you'll never go back.Priorities change along the way so none of this will matter.
Old 01-09-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Len View Post
Lot's of time. The best is that once you've tried elderly you'll never go back.Priorities change along the way so none of this will matter.

I keep telling myself that (and told myself that when I came back from my last cruised). In six more years, I'll be financially ready to never work again (will only have one kid left in college and that's close enough to done) and I already have the boat. My wife and I will both be 62 then, so our plan is to keep running and working out to be really young 62ers.
jerryrlitton and mrhoneydew like this.

Old 01-09-2014

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

My plan was to head S. this coming Fall. Now, I believe that I might need another year to prep. No worries, as I have my clock set to "Island Time"

Combine this thread with the 'old boat' thread/s, $500/annum cruising thread and a few other similar posts and that's me!

The first casualty of battle is the plan. So don't fixate on a plan. Just do it.....once prepared for most contingencies

Last edited by deltaten; 01-09-2014 at 11:32 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.