SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   Just Do It--You're Not Getting Any Younger (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/115049-just-do-youre-not-getting-any-younger.html)

svHyLyte 01-03-2014 06:26 PM

Just Do It--You're Not Getting Any Younger

The title, above, says it all. This video (clipped from Sail-World) is worth watching:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/aEuBLeVZrgs?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rhapsody-NS27 01-03-2014 06:33 PM

Re: Just Do It--You're Not Getting Any Younger

I like how Drake did that video. Everyone has the same advice.

Markwesti 01-03-2014 08:55 PM

Inspiring , thanks .

Group9 01-04-2014 08:46 AM

I have taken short cruises all of my life, hampered by jobs, mortgages, bills, children, etc. When I finally took off and cruised for eight months a few years ago, I realized I should have started doing it when I was a lot younger.

If I had to do it over again, I would save like hell from the time I was 18, and go when I was 20 or 21, in whatever boat I could get for myself.

Plenty of time to come back, and start the grind later. My next cruise isn't scheduled for when I want to go, it's scheduled for when I can afford it, about six years from now.

I think the Pardey's summed it up perfectly. "Go small, go simple, go now."

Sal Paradise 01-04-2014 11:10 AM

I don't know. I was ..uhh.. less wise when I was 20. I tended to go out in all sorts of rough weather and do other sorts of risky behaviors. Perhaps its just as well that I didn't go too far.

At 48 I am still physically able to do pretty much anything, thankfully, and in 7 more years Uncle Sam owes me a pension that will should hopefully make the dream a reality, with little or no need to work.

svHyLyte 01-04-2014 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sal Paradise (Post 1271649)
I don't know. I was ..uhh.. less wise when I was 20. I tended to go out in all sorts of rough weather and do other sorts of risky behaviors. Perhaps its just as well that I didn't go too far.

At 48 I am still physically able to do pretty much anything, thankfully, and in 7 more years Uncle Sam owes me a pension that will should hopefully make the dream a reality, with little or no need to work.

A good friend of mine used to say the same thing. He reached his 50's relatively well preserved with lots of plans. Five days before his retirement, he suffered a massive stroke. He lived, like a vegetable, for another two weeks or so. Tomorrow isn't guaranteed. A year off likely won't kill you at 48. Seven years might.

TQA 01-04-2014 03:29 PM

I went cruising for 7 years when I was in my 40s. Sold my house to finance it.

Best thing I ever did.

Now I am retired and out cruising again. I am not sure I would have had the bottle to go at age 60 without the experience I gained in my 40s.

Torch 01-04-2014 03:58 PM

You guys are really 'speaking to me'.

I'm 49 years old and expect to be layed off in the next few months. I am going to use my severance to buy a boat. I have kids and family here locally so won't be leaving on a long voyage but do plan to spend a few months in the Caribbean.

After about a year I plan on getting another job and while I'm working outfit my boat for a longer voyage so that when the kids are grown and I retire in a few years I can go on some long distance cruises.

Sal Paradise 01-04-2014 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svHyLyte (Post 1271737)
A good friend of mine used to say the same thing. He reached his 50's relatively well preserved with lots of plans. Five days before his retirement, he suffered a massive stroke. He lived, like a vegetable, for another two weeks or so. Tomorrow isn't guaranteed. A year off likely won't kill you at 48. Seven years might.

That does suck about your friend. Sorry to hear that. You are preaching to the choir, but then again we all have to do what we have to do, especially if taking care of a family. I could never get back in the system at my current level if I left for a year.

I might live on a boat for a month or two at a time. My dream would be a beach house in the carrib, Florida or maybe Grenada with a sailboat out front. Sail a few weeks at a time, then relax at home. Maybe get a few motorcycles. That's more my speed than 100% on the boat.

xort 01-04-2014 10:15 PM

Of course if everyone 'followed their dream' who would pick up the garbage? :)