SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   Cruising: A Way of Life or Vacation? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/11544-cruising-way-life-vacation.html)

TomS 04-17-2005 12:00 PM

Cruising: A Way of Life or Vacation?

When I started my cruising life, "cruising" meant living aboard a sea-worthy vessel and supporting yourself as you voyaged from port to port. Most did some sort of repairs to the yachts that frequented the desirable sailing areas at the appropriate time of year, but practically everyone had a skill they sold.

Today''s "cruisers" miss out on so much by taking a pile of money and going on vacation for a couple of years. Until you go to work someplace, you are a tourist. When you take a job, you may be from "away" as they say in Maine, but you become a member of their community. You learn about the characters of the town, how people think, and what their values are. Having the opportunity to work with people from Texas to Maine, is,in my mind, the most enjoyable part about the last twenty-some-odd years.

When you start planning your cruise, throw a little time in for getting a job. It will not only expand your cruising kitty, but also your circle of friends.

Remember:Cruisers do it down wind. Happy sailing.

JeffC_ 04-20-2005 08:05 PM

Joshua Slocum, <s>world cruiser</s> tourist.

Hmmm…

TomS 04-21-2005 06:44 PM

It has been years since I read Capt. Slocum''s book, but I do seem to recall him hauling some freight at one point. However, I may very well be wrong.

Be that as it may, I stand by my point that by taking a job in a place you get a deeper appreciation (or perhaps loathing) for that place.

rleslie 05-02-2005 02:41 PM

Tom

Let me know where you''ll be working and my wife and I will drop-in and say hello while on our never-ending vacation. (grin)

Actually Tom, you do make a good point. Working in a community does give you a different perspective. But, I''ve been working 55-60 hrs per week for the last 20 years so that I won''t have to get another job.

Roger

TomS 05-07-2005 05:58 PM

If you''re ever in the Clear Lake,Texas area,(for awhile) look me up. I''m sure I can find someything for you to do to get you out of your wife''s hair for awhile.(big grin)

Perhaps there is a bit of rationalization taking place on my part. I was impatient, hell I still am. But, I heard Paul Harvey one day read a bumper sticker, "Eat your desert first. Life is full of uncertainty." I am kind of embaressed to admit to adopting this philosophy, but it has lead to some great adventures and fun.

In all honesty, I would love to have enough money to be limited only by my abilities and desires, but alas, that is not the case. However, cruisers like me help make your cruising more enjoyable by being there to fix things when they break. I think we have a symbiotic relationship. Happy sailing! Tom