Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2014

norsearayder is on a distinguished road
Re: Pearson 27/28-2 vs Irwin 32.5

pearsons rule,during the winter of 11/12 i did maine to bahamas and back [4200 miles] on a pearson 32,including offshore legs etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-01-2014
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Petersen View Post
Regarding the hardness of the hull. Rock solid. These boats were built in the early to mid 70's before they really knew how strong fiberglass is. It wasn't until around the 80's that manufacturers started using thinner fiberglass (you occasionally hear about 'tin-canning' in some of those models because of the thin fiberglass). I just cut some holes in the hull just below the toe rail for the diesel heater ports and the glass at that point seemed to be just under 1/2" thick (I think it was about 3/8").
This story of not knowing the strength of fiberglass is not true. This recent post from Jeff_H goes well into the changes in fiberglass techniques over the years:
Pearson Vanguard 33 reviews?

This story covers mostly the 60s into early 70s, but shows how techniques did change. You can find many other details on how fiberglass work changed between the 70s and 80s. The changes were in layup technique, not understanding of how thin the glass should be.

FWIW, the hole that I cut into my Pearson 28-2's transom for the holding tank vent also showed that the transom was also about 10mm thick. I think I have the plug in the hole saw still, I can measure it if there is interest.

I would read ChucklesR thread on replacing chainplates in an Irwin before purchasing one, and checking to see if a boat that you are considering has similar construction techniques.
Old 02-11-2014

sowanocna is on a distinguished road

You seem to have ended on .. Still, one more question, how would you think the 27 Pearson do in the Caribbean for one person, at the same time a single hander. I think its Pearson 27-2 now? Seems to be a bigger boat inside per design, then the 28? I want to go out there sooner then later after all, and one could be had for up to 20K. Would it do to cruise the caribs for 6 months?
Old 02-17-2014

eternity is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Pearson 27/28-2 vs Irwin 32.5

hi Hal ,where did you find a nice 32.5 irwin ..i have been looking .i was aboard one in wa, state last week.it looked its age for sure ... is yours ketch or sloop . diesel or atomic 4 .. did you find a second choice boat that may interest me ..i am looking for a diesel , sloop ...only interested in irwin 32.5, somewhere in north america .for under 18,000 ,,, thanks jim s/v eternity watkins 27
Old 02-17-2014
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowanocna View Post
You seem to have ended on .. Still, one more question, how would you think the 27 Pearson do in the Caribbean for one person, at the same time a single hander. I think its Pearson 27-2 now? Seems to be a bigger boat inside per design, then the 28? I want to go out there sooner then later after all, and one could be had for up to 20K. Would it do to cruise the caribs for 6 months?
I've never seen a Pearson 27 in person. They were only made for a year, and I'm guessing that they didn't make very many of them. On the other hand the Pearson 28-2 was made for about 5 years and they made 200 or so of them.

I think you are confusing multiple boats.

The Pearson 28-2 (1985+) is a "large" 28-foot boat with a big open interior. This is the one that I wrote about. Two key features are the aft head and double sized aft cabin/quarterberth. There are two major berths, a double V-berth and the double aft-berth.

The Pearson 28 (1980s) is a more typical 28-foot cruising boat. It has a more traditional layout with a foreward head. By all accounts it is a nice boat, but I've never sailed one.

The Pearson 27 (1988+) is a 27-foot scaled down version of the 28-2. It replaces the V-berth with a small storage area. The dinette table can drop to fill the settee space with a large double berth. It has a wing keel (the 28-2 has a fin or shoal keel) and looks like a nicely outfit boat. Hot water is optional instead of standard on the 28-2 and there isn't cabin heat. It has a tiller instead of a wheel. I've never been on one personally, but it looks like a nice boat.

There is no 27-2, but some 27s appear to be listed that way on Yachtworld.

There is also a boat called the Triton 27 that was made by Pearson. These were made with old US Yachts molds and are much less interesting boats.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.