Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Capt.aaron
  • 1 Post By mrhoneydew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2014
A melon with a dream...

mrhoneydew is on a distinguished road
Anyone taken a Columbia 28 offshore?

Hello everybody... I am wondering if you have or have known someone who has taken a Columbia 28 offshore? I just purchased mine (a '69) in September. Originally I was just planning to stick to Puget Sound and up the Inside Passage, but of late I am coming to the conclusion I would like to take it out. Likely from Seattle down to Mexico, Panama, and then into the Caribbean. I would like to hear from past or present owners about their experiences with this particular boat. If there is anything to watch out for regarding the boat, anything to address before heading out, any particular sail configuration that works well... I don't know, whatever you've got.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-12-2014
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: Anyone taken a Columbia 28 offshore?

I have been off shore in a trip Columbia 26. We sailed south out of Key West into a lively gulf stream with a 15 knot wind opposing the stream, nice 10 to 15 foot swells. Took them on the beam in a full moon for about 8 hour out and back on shake down cruise. She handled fantastically. My own boat is 1965 Soverel 28 and she is very cummfy out there. Most of the production sail boats from the 60's hold their own in an offshore situation.....I find.
tomperanteau likes this.
Old 01-12-2014
A melon with a dream...

Thanks for the reply! I think boats of this era tend to be pretty well built. I need to go through my rig, but apart from that the rest is pretty cosmetic. Guess I'll find out.
Old 01-12-2014

Markwesti is on a distinguished road

Hi , a dock neighbor of mine had a Columbia 28, years ago he and his wife did some short range cruising with it .Basically they took it 26 miles to Catalina Ca. and because at the time they didn't have much money they always anchored . Also they did the Newport to Ensanada race . But really I think you should treat cruising the boat like any other , inspect everything . Good luck ! Hey you will be going right by my front door , stop by for a beer .
Old 01-12-2014
A melon with a dream...

That is my thinking as well... go through everything so I know what's there even if I don't replace it. If I hadn't been on board with the guy I bought it from when I bought it I would swear it had been abandoned. Needed a deep cleaning and to sort through a bunch of crap that he left behind. I have been busy with work so I STILL get to do a lot of that.

I might just take you up on that beer!
Markwesti likes this.
Old 01-12-2014

Markwesti is on a distinguished road

What does your boat have in the way of a motor ? My friend had the gasoline Atomic . That motor gave him a lot of trouble . I'm not saying that's a bad motor, no not at all . my wife before I met her had a Catalina 30 with a Atomic , that motor was smooth and reliable . On the other hand I know of some people that have problems with them(like what engine does not have problems !) Good news you can still get any part you need, and down here there is a guy who sells rebuilt replacement motors . Also you talked about sail combos . For sure you need a working set (main & jib) with reef points . If you don't have roller furling , you can still reef the jib . Check it out in The Sailor's Sketch Book ,it shoes you how to do that plus some other stuff . Finally you need a down wind sail , Spinnaker for sure . but if you are not into that , at least get a drifter . I don't have a Spin just a drifter . So what I do is pole out my jib to the windy side and set the drifter to leeward side . I would tell you how fast I go with that set up , but some people accuse me of lying about it, haha .
Old 01-12-2014
A melon with a dream...

It came with the Atomic 4 in it, but it won't start. I had intended to put a diesel in it... which I have an Atomic 5411 and Hurth transmission that I will rebuild before I swap them. In the meantime I am planning to tinker around with the A4 to see if I can get it running and use it this spring/summer. Then I would have a running engine that I can sell.

I think I am set for main and jib (have roller furling), though I will likely look into getting a used set in case I blow something out. Haven't decided between drifter or spinnaker, but I need something for light wind. Been thinking about an Asymmetrical kit from sailrite. Thanks for the input... it will likely come down to cost, mostly. I need a storm jib that I can hank on over the furler too. Then I need a 30' dinghy to tow behind so I can haul all of this stuff with me!
Old 01-15-2014
Crotchety Old Member

tomperanteau is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhoneydew View Post
It came with the Atomic 4 in it, but it won't start. I had intended to put a diesel in it... which I have an Atomic 5411 and Hurth transmission that I will rebuild before I swap them. In the meantime I am planning to tinker around with the A4 to see if I can get it running and use it this spring/summer. Then I would have a running engine that I can sell.

I think I am set for main and jib (have roller furling), though I will likely look into getting a used set in case I blow something out. Haven't decided between drifter or spinnaker, but I need something for light wind. Been thinking about an Asymmetrical kit from sailrite. Thanks for the input... it will likely come down to cost, mostly. I need a storm jib that I can hank on over the furler too. Then I need a 30' dinghy to tow behind so I can haul all of this stuff with me!
In re your thoughts on repowering; it you're going offshore, go with a diesel. Gas turns to varnish, but diesel will last a year or two before you need to worry about it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Footprints

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Old 01-16-2014
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Short answer: Yes. Follow along here:
Any advice for liveaboard off-grid during the winter? - Cruising Anarchy - Sailing Anarchy Forums

Not only are they doing it, they're doing it with electric auxiliary propulsion.
1973 Pearson 30 #255

Tags
bluewater , columbia 28 , offshore , preparations