LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2014

azguy is on a distinguished road
Re: How to go for 1 or 2 year cruise?

I like the 10' beam and the shallow draft here:

1989 Erickson 32-200 sailboat for sale in Florida

and the price here:

1988 Catalina 30-T sailboat for sale in Florida

Plus, add $10K for personal outfitting, sails, etc so your time away is spent sailing and not waiting for repairs IMHO. I think if you are mainly island hoping and not crossing the Atlantic (you could) these are solid bets..
Old 01-16-2014

LaVarlope is on a distinguished road

How are those 27 pocket cruiser? I own a 25' tanzer and cannot imagine living on it for a long period of time.

I know that they have more headroom and better function. They must be confortable for you to live on it for 12 years. was yours the aft cabin model?

That nor'sea is not to far from where i live I could go look at it. What should I be worried about and look for??
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-16-2014

Delezynski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaVarlope View Post
How are those 27 pocket cruiser? I own a 25' tanzer and cannot imagine living on it for a long period of time.

I know that they have more headroom and better function. They must be comfortable for you to live on it for 12 years. was yours the aft cabin model?

That nor'sea is not to far from where i live I could go look at it. What should I be worried about and look for??
Our Nor'Sea is the aft cabin model. It is VERY comfortable for a couple to live aboard! We even had 2 of our boys stay for a time in the aft cabin. It still is our home for half a year at a time. You can see a lot of info about ours on our web site and on our Youtube page (listed in the sig area below).

If you can, take a look at the one close to you. I agree, it looks like a very good price! The major item I would be concerned with is the fuel tank, but the ad said it's new.

If you do decide to get interested in one, there is a Nor'Sea Yahoo group (Yahoo Groups) with a LOT of info and owners (13140 + messages and over 580 members).
Attached Thumbnails
How to go for 1 or 2 year cruise?-fireplacesmall.jpg   How to go for 1 or 2 year cruise?-salsupiadessmall.jpg   How to go for 1 or 2 year cruise?-sails.jpg   How to go for 1 or 2 year cruise?-sun_rise_s.jpg  
LaVarlope likes this.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube page -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-16-2014
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

I'm not familiar with the Nor'Sea's, so I did a quick search. I found these resources which might be of interest:

Ellen and Ed sail around the world in their NorSea 27 Entr'acte

Nor'Sea 27

2008 Nor'Sea 27 Aft Cabin Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
1975 Albacore 15

Old 01-16-2014

LaVarlope is on a distinguished road

Thank you for all the boat suggestion this should put me on the right track.

What are the cost of cruising the carribean? Is it easy to anchor in protected bays? Is the food expensive over there? IS a budget of 1500$/month reallistic?

what do boaters usually do in the summer over there? everybody leaves or are there safe place to store the boat in the huricanne season?
Old 01-16-2014

krisscross is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Boat displacement tells you a lot more then length. Tanzer 25 has a displacement of 4200 lbs, Nor'Sea has a displacement of 8100 lbs - so you get almost twice as much room in the second boat.
Old 01-16-2014

manatee is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I know that they have more headroom and better function. They must be confortable for you to live on it for 12 years. was yours the aft cabin model?

Here's sailingdog's thread that will help you decide whether a boat is worth looking at further: Boat Inspection Trip Tips

Good luck!
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you don’t."

~~Dylan Winter,
Old 01-16-2014
Moody 46

orthomartin is on a distinguished road

First know that I departed Lk Michigan out the St Lawrence in 2008 and just completed an around the world. I loved the Gaspe, NF and NS!
Your question is really a big one, so many variables. Purchase price of 20-30k limits the field a lot making it difficult but is doable. If you want a strong sea-going vessel look for something like a Baba 35 or Cabo Rico. Problem will however be finding even a 20 year old boat of this quality for under 50k without having to put a lot of work into it.
The "plastic fantastics" like benny's can be fine but do require better sailing skills in heavy seas. The spade/fins do not heave to like the traditional boats but you can get a lot of boat for the money. My personal take however would be stay away from the older Hunters. The discussion of what boat could go on and on but you will be challenged to find a sea worthy boat in that price range if looking for 35 ft or larger.
The route to the med is not that difficult from NF or Halifax but in the normal passage period of May and June you can get slammed my strong gales north of about 39 degrees so some experience would of course help, thus a crew perhaps??
To get your feet wet so to speak consider going through the Bras d'Or Lakes and then down and around Nova Scotia to Maine and then down the US eastern seaboard working your way to your first winter cruising in the far Bahamas. You will love it and that is a good distance for a one year cruise from where you are.

Old 01-16-2014

rigalio is on a distinguished road

We are intend to leave in 2015 and selling the house and go living on our boat
the boat is a vander stadt 30 steel cutter and we are going down the st Lawrence not the intra costal.
Old 01-16-2014

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

Welcome to the wonderful world of tough decisions. I think at the start of it, you perhaps need to make decisions about what you are planning. There is a huge difference between crossing the Atlantic from Halifax to Azores and then sailing down to the Caribbean vs. simply working your way down the U.S coast, crossing from Florida to the Bahamas and then down to the Caribbean.

If you are taking the first route, you are out of land for longer periods and more exposed to seriously bad weather. If you are going that route, then you want to pick a boat which is really designed for offshore use. And if you are doing this on a tight budget, i.e. the money that is left from $75K after you have set aside enough money to cruise for a couple years, you are probably looking for an older 30 to 32 foot cruiser and not a recycled racer-cruiser or value oriented coastal cruiser. In other words, probably almost none of the boats recommended above.

The high production volume, value oriented, coastal cruisers mentioned above that are within your price range are more than likely going to be tired and worn out. For a very few dollars more, you can typically buy an equal size boat that started out as a better design with better construction techniques. (The hull to deck joint on the Catalina 30 should take it off your list if nothing else about the boat does.)

The high production volume, value oriented, coastal cruisers may be okay for the coastal routes, but it would greatly raise the risks and maintenance cost to try to use them for the offshore routes. The small offshore cruisers are neat boats for that kind of thing, but I would expect them to be well outside your price range or well past their 'use by' date if they were in your price range. The one exception is the Nebe, which may work, but I would be cautious about a thirty year old steel boat that someone is only asking $15K for.

But if you are doing the US Coast to Bahamas to Caribbean route, then you might get by with a high volume, coastal cruisers since the hops are short and you are usually close enough to a safe harbor to pick a decent weather window and to repair facilities should you need them.

I am also skeptical of the advice to buy a boat in Florida. Florida typically has had slightly less expensive prices than other areas of the continent, but the Florida climate is very hard on a boat. So when I have looked at some of these so-called bargain boats in Florida, they have rarely been worth their asking price.

The reality is that boats from Canada, Great Lakes, and New England have generally been sailed less due to the shorter sailing season, have not had the harsh UV exposure, and have longer maintenance sesons. As a result they are generally in better condition, and their prices are not all that different than the prices in Florida, especially when you are comparing boats of equal condition.

Respectfully,
Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies