Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2014

bigdogandy is on a distinguished road
Re: How to go for 1 or 2 year cruise?

I second what Jeff says....

Also, you may want to look at some of the older boats that were designed for offshore work that have been sailed up north and taken care of. Here's an example:

1975 Allied Princess 36 Ketch Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

I have no idea of the condition of this boat other than reading the listing, but something like this could give you the option of bluewater or coastal crusing at somewhere near your budget.
1981 Endeavour 32

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-16-2014

LaVarlope is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
Welcome to the wonderful world of tough decisions. I think at the start of it, you perhaps need to make decisions about what you are planning. There is a huge difference between crossing the Atlantic from Halifax to Azores and then sailing down to the Caribbean vs. simply working your way down the U.S coast, crossing from Florida to the Bahamas and then down to the Caribbean.

Jeff
Thank you Jeff very helpfull post. You are right, I have to make up my mind about where to go , than defining my need for what kind of boat I need will be clearer. Thing is I eventually want to be crossing a ocean but maybe it will be wise to play it safe an gain experience going along the coast . Im still young (33) but i dont know if I will have the same opportunity ever again, no debt, money in my pocket, no kids or family obligation....

I would like to purchase the boat this spring to test sail it this summer and make the prepartion than go.
Old 01-18-2014
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaVarlope View Post
How are those 27 pocket cruiser? I own a 25' tanzer and cannot imagine living on it for a long period of time.

I know that they have more headroom and better function. They must be confortable for you to live on it for 12 years. was yours the aft cabin model?

That nor'sea is not to far from where i live I could go look at it. What should I be worried about and look for??
Wife and I have lived aboard and cruised a Vega 27 for going on 18 years. I lived aboard that same boat in Honolulu for six years before we met. The Vega is a bit roomier than a Norsea, possibly a bit faster, certainly less expensive to buy on the used market, but the Norsea has a lot to offer. Either one would Work fine for one or two people. Either will take you anywhere you want to go on the worlds waterways and still fit on a trailer for overland trips or cheap storage.

With a paid-for boat and US$50K, I think you could cruise until you get tired of it - almost indefinitely - if you are frugal and stop to work occasionally.

My advice? Don't saddle yourself with "Too much boat". Don't worry. Be happy
captain jack likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-18-2014

Delezynski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vega1860 View Post
My advice? Don't saddle yourself with "Too much boat". Don't worry. Be happy
VERY well said!

Far to many people believe big is better.
I remember some time back, a couple sitting in our cockpit (27 foot) wining on how there boat was to small for the two of them and the dog.

I HAD to ask if they knew who they were talking to!!

Greg
captain jack likes this.

Youtube page -
Old 01-27-2014

I found this boat near where i live. Allied princess Ketch 1975 hull #58. talk to the broker today and they are asking 40k for it negociable. Anybody has experience with this kind of boat? To big for singlehanders or a crew of 2? How much should i expect to put into her before considering making long distance cruise? i have a survey of the boat from 2010, looks clean. It has 150L water tanks and 150L diesel tank. Boat is to old?Moisture meter in 2010 has shown 20% to 40% humidity pretty much all over (deck and hull) good or bad?
Old 01-27-2014

Markwesti is on a distinguished road

Those boats look to be capable off shore cruisers . I would say that if you want answers about the boat , you must get a mechanic to look over the engine, then a rigger, then a general survey . As far as single handing that is a matter of how you rig the boat, like auto pilot, roller furling, lines leading aft . But then you will want to do that to some extent for any boat . Good luck !
Old 01-27-2014
MikeGuyver

MikeGuyver is on a distinguished road

OH BULL CRAP.. There aren't more than a hand full of you old ladies that can stand up to even half of what the average Catalina or Hunter can withstand. Why would you want to piss away a whole lot more money on some over built tank that can't get out of it's own wake with any kind of speed. All this horn honking is ridiculous. Buy a boat that is big enough to serve its purpose, provision it and get the hell out of the marina. If you listen to all these arm chair quarterbacks you'll never go anywhere.
Old 01-29-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGuyver View Post
Buy a boat that is big enough to serve its purpose, provision it and get the hell out of the marina. If you listen to all these arm chair quarterbacks you'll never go anywhere.
That is my big question,the size. This is a huge step for me, the purchase of the boat, I don't want to regret going too small or too big. I am willing to invest a major chunck of my saving to live the dream.

I found an Albin vega in NS 1969 for 10k with a trailler hul #0703. I am going to see it in 2 weeks to judge if i like this kind of boat. I figure that with a boat this cheap I cannot go wrong but still would of like a boat around 30' or so. That boat was updated in 08 for cruising so this could keep the cost of refit down.

Is it worth it to look at a 45 years old boat???
Old 01-29-2014

Delezynski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaVarlope View Post
That is my big question,the size.
-- SNIP --
That boat was updated in 08 for cruising so this could keep the cost of refit down.

Is it worth it to look at a 45 years old boat???
LOOK AT EVERY BOAT YOU CAN!

Our Nor'Sea 27 is BIG inside with two cabins that we lived in full time for years. And had two 2 big boys in the aft cabin for a time. BUT, you won't see one in any good condition for 10 K. BUT you might find a used one in the $ 30~40K range.

Use a bit of caution when a boat is advertised as recently being fitted out for cruising. The "upgrades" done to the boat was not by you and MAY have been done by some one who has no concept of blue water cruising!! I have seen boats "outfitted" by some wired people!!!! I saw one fine boat that was outfitted like a submarine! Complete with round hatches instead of a normal companion way, the mast cut down to half size and other strange stuff on deck. The guy said he wanted to make sure he was safe and didn't care about performance. Outfitting is a very personal thing.

ONCE more.... I would suggest you look at EVERY BOAT! And the age seems to make the most difference in the lesser built boats. Our Nor'Sea has thousands of open blue water miles and thousands more of fresh water miles on it. There are still NO stress cracks to be seen any place on it! I have seen MUCH younger boats with lots of stress cracks. I am NOT saying that the stress cracks are structural, but I do consider them an indicator to the build of the craft.

Greg

Youtube page -
Old 08-12-2014

Hey, I am now getting a little closer to the dream. After many boat visited, I even went to San Carlos, Mexico to look at some boat over there I think I have found what I am looking for. It's a Tartan34c that I have found in Maine. Plan is to splash it next spring the start cruising from there, do the whole east coast till fall, then head south for winter, then who knows...

Anybody here knows good surveyer in the belfast Area? I also wonder how it works when a Canadian buys a boat in the state and start cruising from there. How do I register it as a canadian vessel? Would also like some input if any of you ever have sailed a Tartan34.

Last edited by LaVarlope; 08-12-2014 at 07:43 AM.