Like Tree31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2014
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Re: How to go for 1 or 2 year cruise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaVarlope View Post
Hey, I am now getting a little closer to the dream. After many boat visited, I even went to San Carlos, Mexico to look at some boat over there I think I have found what I am looking for. It's a Tartan34c that I have found in Maine. Plan is to splash it next spring the start cruising from there, do the whole east coast till fall, then head south for winter, then who knows...

Anybody here knows good surveyer in the belfast Area? I also wonder how it works when a Canadian buys a boat in the state and start cruising from there. How do I register it as a canadian vessel? Would also like some input if any of you ever have sailed a Tartan34.
BIG MISTAKE --------- LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION

Nothing wrong with the type of boat you are buying it is just you are buying it in the wrong place.

Assuming your second year is going to be trying to get to the Caribbean there is a reason that the route is called the Thorny Path.

Buy somewhere in the Eastern Caribbean and sail the Windwards and Leewards for a year maybe heading down to Guyana for an adventure. Then sail back to the USA for your second year BVI USVI Puerto Rico DR Turks and Caicos and finally the Bahamas. If you do this you will be able to SAIL most of the time and again most of it with a warm wind over your shoulder. I know because that is where I sail. Coming south from Maine I can almost guarantee you will spend a lot of time motoring down the ditch then you get to do the Thorny Path..

Cmon fly to Trini and buy this Dynamite Marine Ltd (Chaguaramas, Trinidad and Tobago) It is even Canadian registered !

You will be Caribbean cruising in a week. The living is easy and the rum is cheap. Fewer naked ladies than there used to be though.

Last edited by TQA; 08-12-2014 at 11:05 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-12-2014

LaVarlope is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
Cmon fly to Trini and buy this Dynamite Marine Ltd (Chaguaramas, Trinidad and Tobago) It is even Canadian registered !

You will be Caribbean cruising in a week. The living is easy and the rum is cheap. Fewer naked ladies than there used to be though.
Food for thought! Still is more reassuring to start on a know cruising ground(sort of) and from what I saw in mexico, boats in the south are'nt in tip top shape. I like your input and will think about this. When is the best time to start cruising the caribbean?

Nothing to help a already undecided sailor
christian.hess likes this.
Old 08-12-2014
Bombay Explorer 44

Quote:
Food for thought! Still is more reassuring to start on a know cruising ground(sort of) and from what I saw in mexico, boats in the south are'nt in tip top shape. I like your input and will think about this. When is the best time to start cruising the caribbean?

Nothing to help a already undecided sailor
That boat is ready to go

Quote:
"Hoplite" was lovingly restored in 2012!

NEW paint Topsides, Hull and Antifouling. cushion and all upholstery all replaced. Wiring redone! NEW Yanmar 29HP Engine fitted. NEW Sails.

Owner has not been able to make good use of her due to work commitments and he has been transferred out of the country.

HOPLITE has made three successful Atlantic crossings and is equipped and ready for her next adventure!

CAN Reg
October is good time but a little earlier is OK. Just stay low and watch the weather.
christian.hess and LaVarlope like this.
Old 08-12-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
That is my big question,the size. This is a huge step for me, the purchase of the boat, I don't want to regret going too small or too big. I am willing to invest a major chunck of my saving to live the dream.

I found an Albin vega in NS 1969 for 10k with a trailler hul #0703. I am going to see it in 2 weeks to judge if i like this kind of boat. I figure that with a boat this cheap I cannot go wrong but still would of like a boat around 30' or so. That boat was updated in 08 for cruising so this could keep the cost of refit down.

Is it worth it to look at a 45 years old boat???
Get the boat YOU like. You'll be a lot happier that way than buying the boat someone else likes. There is a reason there are so many different styles, rigs, hull shapes, etc. in sailboats.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 08-12-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

Im no expert but I have dabbled...in this used boat thing

if you dont carry your tools, are 100 percent profficient in all systems, can change bulkheads, do glass work recore decks, do all rigging etc..no matter how good of a bargain said boat is overseas you will loooooooooooooooooooose money and spend money big time doing what you could easily at "home"

now there are exceptions to the rule, and luck plays a part too, but what the op feels is valid...

playing it safe is fine.

now
chaguaramas has a fame for having great deals, boat work, and services...so thats solid advice too
LaVarlope likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Islander 36 refit still going on...

Old 08-12-2014

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road

Get a Mac 26 with water ballast and 65 hp OB. You could trailer it anywhere. Take it Florida, sail the Keys for experience. Watch the weather and hop across to West End in Bahamas UNDER POWER at 10 kts then sail the Abacos. I have a friend in Marsh HArbor and that is what he does (he lives on it) and he takes it further down all the way to Cat Island and if he can get there then it is easier to get to Georgetown.
Smaller boat, lower costs, much lower. You could even take your trailer across to Marsh harbor and keep her on it to save money.
Get tired of Abaco, go down to Eluthras and then Exumas, island hop to Turks and Caicos and then to Hispaniola.
Suggesting the Mac26 will get me accused of blasphemy but it is a far more practical boat than the Norsea27 and I maintain is actually a safer option as it can float in almost no water allowing it to be beached or moved into very shallow anchorages. At 10-12 kts with the big 65 hp outboard, it'll get you to safety in a hurry while the heavy boats are plodding to safety at 4.5 kts.
Good used Mac 26 will not cost too much.
Old 08-13-2014

Delezynski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogwatch View Post
Get a Mac 26 with water ballast and 65 hp OB.
Suggesting the Mac26 will get me accused of blasphemy but it is a far more practical boat than the Norsea27 and I maintain is actually a safer option as it can float in almost no water allowing it to be beached or moved into very shallow anchorages. At 10-12 kts with the big 65 hp outboard, it'll get you to safety in a hurry while the heavy boats are plodding to safety at 4.5 kts.
Good used Mac 26 will not cost too much.

There are SO MANY types of boats out there at all different prices. But we NEED to consider what LaVarlope said in the original post.

He said, " I look at different option. I shop for a 28 to 35' boat around 20 to 30k. I wonder if I should cross the atlantic from halifax to azores than go to carrabean or cross form Florida to carrabean."

The Mac might be the choice for some one who want to sail protected waters from time to time. But I don't think it's up to crossing the Atlantic. A cared for Nor'Sea 27 has no problem with that voyage and can still be trailed from place to place almost like the Mac, just a bigger truck.

Disclaimer, I own and cruise a Nor'Sea and Jill and I lived aboard 24/7/365 for many years at dock and full time cruising in the Pacific, and recently for 4+ months in the Gulf of Mexico.

Greg

Youtube page -
Old 08-13-2014

LaVarlope is on a distinguished road

Yes and i started this post 8 month ago, been looking at many boats since then. I got to understand what is the use boat market other then just looking at adds on yatchworld. The trip to Mexico really opened my eyes as to what work it will be to buy a boat that far away from home.

But to step away from real life for 2 years and taking a huge chunk of my net worth in the process sailing right of the bat in paradise other the motoring from port to port is to be considered.

I will get in contact with the guys in Dynamite see what's what otherwise I'll go with the Tartan34 and hope to cast off next spring.

Thanks guys and will keep you posted.
Old 08-13-2014

Delezynski is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I will get in contact with the guys in Dynamite see what's what otherwise I'll go with the Tartan34 and hope to cast off next spring.

Thanks guys and will keep you posted.
A Tartan 34 looks like a good choice for you!
Good luck, have FUN and let us know how it goes.

Greg
LaVarlope likes this.

Youtube page -
Old 08-13-2014
Bombay Explorer 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
Im no expert but I have dabbled...in this used boat thing

if you dont carry your tools, are 100 percent profficient in all systems, can change bulkheads, do glass work recore decks, do all rigging etc..no matter how good of a bargain said boat is overseas you will loooooooooooooooooooose money and spend money big time doing what you could easily at "home"

now there are exceptions to the rule, and luck plays a part too, but what the op feels is valid...

playing it safe is fine.

now
chaguaramas has a fame for having great deals, boat work, and services...so thats solid advice too
You will find that having work done in Trini is much cheaper than the states.

I had my 44 ft boat Awlgripped there. for $4200 US inclusive of materials. That was prep removing old paint by sanding, 3 coats of primer and 3 top coats plus boot top in a different color.

Go price that in the US.

Most jobs will 1/3 to 1/2 what it would cost in the US.
christian.hess likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.