Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2014
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Re: How to go for 1 or 2 year cruise?

I think you will do fine with that Tartan. You asked about anchoring in the Caribbean. You can anchor basically anywhere without a problem. Really good ground tackle is a cheap investments (which anchor is a constant battleground here so I won't get into it now). $1500 a month is ample. We cruised in the Caribbean on a 45 footer on less than that without having to cut corners. If you don't had this book, get it. It lays out how you get from Florida to the Eastern Caribbean without too much pain. It is a tough route because you are battling the trade winds. The book suggests how to use frontal systems to make easing.

The Gentleman's Guide to Passages South: The Thornless Path to Windward: Mr. Bruce Van Sant: 9781470146962: Amazon.com: Books The Gentleman's Guide to Passages South: The Thornless Path to Windward: Mr. Bruce Van Sant: 9781470146962: Amazon.com: Books

christian.hess and LaVarlope like this.
Back to Grenada in early December. Not sure I will remember how to sail. Will spend the winter and early spring in the Caribbean and then head to Bermuda and the northeast US. Still trying to decide if we will bring the boat to Canada, either in 2015 or 2016.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-14-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
You will find that having work done in Trini is much cheaper than the states.

I had my 44 ft boat Awlgripped there. for $4200 US inclusive of materials. That was prep removing old paint by sanding, 3 coats of primer and 3 top coats plus boot top in a different color.

Go price that in the US.

Most jobs will 1/3 to 1/2 what it would cost in the US.
I KNOW same applies here

my emphasis is that YOU the boat buyer must be prepared to do all those things too "just in case"

Ill give you an example just one

if I mess up my rigging job here and need a new norseman terminal from the states by the time it gets here, I pay 3 or 4 times the price of that piece only

now in trini you have all that, and labor, and expertise...but you still have to source some stuff that you cant get there

this would apply to any place in the world that doesnt have massive parts sourcing and stocks...

now Ill offer something PRO for doing work and or jobs in cheap places

I did my deck gelcoat, chainplates, bulkheads all for less than $2k including labor...yeah work was slow...and I had to be on top of it but you couldnt source that out back in the states could you?

so we agree in reality

ps my last sentence on that previous post specifically agreed with what your are saying about chaguaramas btw....jajaja

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by christian.hess; 08-14-2014 at 01:31 PM.
Old 08-18-2014

vtsailguy is on a distinguished road

So I come across this thread, and tomorrow my family of five begin our year of sailing to the Caribbean. I have a post about how I chose our boat on our blog, a tartan 41. We have been two years in the planning, it all comes to fruition tomorrow.

We are heading down the east coast and them doing the Carib 1500 to quickly get to the tropics. I thought about going via the Bahamas but that would have eaten almost the whole year just getting there!

Check out the blog, and hopefully I'll be able to post something useful for you.
utchuckd and christian.hess like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Three mini-pirates scour the Caribbean Seas with stops for ice cream and legos
Latest blog post:
Old 08-18-2014

Delezynski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtsailguy View Post
So I come across this thread, and tomorrow my family of five begin our year of sailing to the Caribbean. ...snip...
CONGRATS!!! Have a GREAT time!
Take it easy and enjoy the trip, don't rush.

Greg

Youtube page -
Old 08-18-2014

vtsailguy is on a distinguished road

Thanks

My goal for the year, to get the boys to understand... It's the journey, not the destination....
utchuckd and christian.hess like this.

Three mini-pirates scour the Caribbean Seas with stops for ice cream and legos
Latest blog post:

Last edited by vtsailguy; 08-18-2014 at 10:02 AM.
Old 08-18-2014
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtsailguy View Post
Thanks

My goal for the year, to get the boys to understand... It's the journey, not the destination....
Welcome to the wonderful world of cruising. Remember time is no longer your master and schedules and itineraries that are set in stone will get you beaten up.

Nothing wrong with diverting to the Bahamas if it gets real snotty out there going south. The Bahamas are a great cruising area.
Old 08-18-2014

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogwatch View Post
Get a Mac 26 with water ballast and 65 hp OB. You could trailer it anywhere. Take it Florida, sail the Keys for experience. Watch the weather and hop across to West End in Bahamas UNDER POWER at 10 kts then sail the Abacos. I have a friend in Marsh HArbor and that is what he does (he lives on it) and he takes it further down all the way to Cat Island and if he can get there then it is easier to get to Georgetown.
Smaller boat, lower costs, much lower. You could even take your trailer across to Marsh harbor and keep her on it to save money.
Get tired of Abaco, go down to Eluthras and then Exumas, island hop to Turks and Caicos and then to Hispaniola.
Suggesting the Mac26 will get me accused of blasphemy but it is a far more practical boat than the Norsea27 and I maintain is actually a safer option as it can float in almost no water allowing it to be beached or moved into very shallow anchorages. At 10-12 kts with the big 65 hp outboard, it'll get you to safety in a hurry while the heavy boats are plodding to safety at 4.5 kts.
Good used Mac 26 will not cost too much.
I swore I wasn't going to do this but this was the last straw....Having read quite a few of your posts, it would appear that your standard response to any questions is "Get a Mac 26 with water ballast and 65 hp." It does not seem to matter what the question is. From "What kind of boat should I buy for daysailing?", "What kind of boat should I buy to cross the Atlantic?", "What kind of sail boat should I buy to do a great loop and save a lot of fuel?", to "Does this tie match this shirt?", your answer is always the same chorus "Get a Mac 26 with water ballast and 65 hp."

It does not matter how irrelevant it is to the question. It does not seem to matter whether you have thought through the question or considered the fine points such as the question involves crossing 1,800 miles of open water and how is a Mac 26 going to carry that much fuel, or the question involves crossing some pretty treacherous waters, or that the question involves a family of four, and so on; your chorus remains "Get a Mac 26 with water ballast and 65 hp."

And it would not be so bad if your answer actually made sense in most of these cases, but it rarely if ever does. And when someone calls you out on it you say that they are boat snobs or prejudice against Macs. Years ago I worked for a company that sold trailerables, commissioning Macs and Ventures and teaching people to sail them. They were slightly better built than some of the options out there, but not as well built as most normal sailboats of the day. In looking at newer Macs, they don't seem to get any better than they were back then. I have seen them try to sail in a broad range of conditions, and their sailing capabilities are poor, and approaching dangerous in a blow.

So, while I don't know why you think that a "Mac 26 with water ballast and 65 hp" is the Swiss knife of answers, but I would suggest for your own credibility that you at least try to filter your answers so that they at least sound plausible.

Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
Old 08-18-2014
First String

ltgoshen is on a distinguished road

Not to mention bad advise that it may cost someone there life. Always air on the side of caution. Like sizing an anchor " Figger out what size you need then go one size larger. Safety first.
Old 08-18-2014
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

Jeff Don't feed the troll.
Old 09-15-2014

LaVarlope is on a distinguished road

Hey everybody , I'm looking for a surveyor in the ottawa region. If you know any reputable one in the area I would like to contact them.

In the meanwhile here's some picture I took of the boat that I'm interested in buying. I really like the Tartan34 but cannot find one in my budget and close buy that has Diesel engine. Is ti foolish to consider buying one with the old Atomic-4???

Here are the feature in this boat that I really like. Cape horn windvane, Tiller steering, great ground tackle (Mantis, CQR, Danforth) Propane range, solar panel, 3 head sail(110%,135% and 60%), 3 reefing point in mainsail, 6 new stainless opening port.

Only thing really bothering me is the engine really and maybe the rust showing on the bow roller.
Attached Thumbnails
How to go for 1 or 2 year cruise?-photo-1.jpg   How to go for 1 or 2 year cruise?-photo-2.jpg   How to go for 1 or 2 year cruise?-photo-4.jpg   How to go for 1 or 2 year cruise?-photo-5.jpg   How to go for 1 or 2 year cruise?-tartan-34-ocean-ready.jpg  

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.