SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   How to go for 1 or 2 year cruise? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/117450-how-go-1-2-year-cruise.html)

LaVarlope 01-16-2014 08:13 AM

How to go for 1 or 2 year cruise?

Hello everyone, Im a long time reader of this forum but never really post anything. I in a point in my life where I considere taking 1 or 2 year off to travel and clear my head and look for new opportunity and horizon.

I am new to sailling, I have a Tanzer 7.5 that i bought 2 years ago and i have been sailling the st-laurence river in Québec city for 2 years now. The river is fun to sail but can also be challenging with the 20' tide that we have.

I would like to go cruising for 1 year or 2, got some money aside +/-75k. What would you suggest I do. I look at different option. I shop for a 28 to 35' boat around 20 to 30k. I wonder if I should cross the atlantic from halifax to azores than go to carrabean or cross form Florida to carrabean. I have zero open water experience I read alot on the subject.

English is my secong language so excuse the many grammatical error that i probably did.

Im looking for guidance, idea, tips on where should I start if I want to go cruising.

Thank you!

krisscross 01-16-2014 08:35 AM

Re: How to go for 1 or 2 year cruise?

Good plan. Go south, dude. Warm water, palm trees and nekkid women. If you can't find yourself there... it will be grim... ;)
I would sail relatively close to the shore until you get to Florida. Standard Thorny Path route from there.

LaVarlope 01-16-2014 08:58 AM

Yeah south is a good idea, I was wondering if buying a boat already there (carrabean) is a good idea?

Is it too expensive outfitting a boat overthere? Would you advice against it?

azguy 01-16-2014 09:08 AM

Buy a boat in Florida, maybe a Catalina 30, spend a few months doing local runs and doing the necessary repairs/upgrades and head south :D

krisscross 01-16-2014 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaVarlope (Post 1313442)
Yeah south is a good idea, I was wondering if buying a boat already there (carrabean) is a good idea?

Is it too expensive outfitting a boat overthere? Would you advice against it?

If you can find something you like that is already there, I would go for it. Depending on where that boat is it may be more or less costly than outfitting it in Canada or US, but usually not by much. Try to find a boat that already has what you need. Much cheaper option most of the time.

LaVarlope 01-16-2014 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azguy (Post 1313458)
Buy a boat in Florida, maybe a Catalina 30, spend a few months doing local runs and doing the necessary repairs/upgrades and head south :D

I was under the impression after reading many threads about bluewater boats and the like that hunter/catalina/beneteau were cheap coastal cruiser and should be avoid if considering taking on the sea.

But i like the idea of not spending all my money on a boat that is way to good for what I want to do and where I want to go. I might want to go further after a while so that is why a was looking at albin vega, alberg and the like...

If i go with your suggestion of test sailing a boat in florida then traverse to the carribean. What is the ideal time frame from the purchase of the boat to the crossing ?

krisscross 01-16-2014 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaVarlope (Post 1313602)
I was under the impression after reading many threads about bluewater boats and the like that hunter/catalina/beneteau were cheap coastal cruiser and should be avoid if considering taking on the sea.

Lots of people cruise the Caribbean in Catalinas and Benes. I would not automatically cross them from your list unless you really want to make long ocean passages. And if I was a sailor experienced in deep sea sailing I would not be afraid to take a well equipped Catalina 30 across Atlantic. Many such passages were made by sailors.

krisscross 01-16-2014 10:25 AM

Here is a nice boat in Florida I would not mind buying for coastal cruising:
Nebe Cape 28 Blue Water Cruiser Built in South Africa The Islands Are Calling | eBay

Delezynski 01-16-2014 10:45 AM

LaVarlope,

A nice sounding plan! We know a few people who did multi-year cruising and some doing half year cruising. I called it, "retirement on the installment plan".

You might consider looking for a Nor'Sea 27.We lived aboard ours (Jill and I) from 1996 to 2008 full time. We cruised from 04 to late 08 down the west coast. They are not as low a cost as many, but more capable.

BUT, the beauty of the boat is that it is capable of circumnavigating (many have) yet can be stored on a trailer to be towed (by the owner) cross country when wanting to go to weather at 55 MPH. Also when not cruising, it's VERY low cost to store close to home, even when far from water.

Just an idea!

Greg
http://www.svguenevere.com/photos/a04.jpg

krisscross 01-16-2014 11:01 AM

A Nor'Sea for sale - very reasonable price:
NOR'SEA 27 sailboat for sale by owner - SAILBOATDATA.COM