SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Mast height restrictions on the ICW

21K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  gstrazds 
#1 ·
The rig on my Hunter 40.5 is almost 64'' from the waterline. Does anyone know what the lowest fixed bridge is? Do I need to worry?

Thanks,
s/v CATALYST

#4 ·
Bridge Restrictions - The ICW - Mile Zero Norfolk, VA -to- Key West, FL:
http://www.cruiseguides.com/iwfg/BridgeRestrictions.asp

ICW Bridges Florida East Coast - Fernandina -to- Miami:
http://www.islandhopping.com/bridges.html

Skipper Bob’s ICW Updates - Updated June 4, 2005
http://home.att.net/~skipperbob/waterway.htm

#5 ·
all the fixed bridges are good for 65'' but there is a bridge in Miami that is 56. Its anyone''s guess who transposed the numbers. Waiting for the tide is awkward there too, as the ICW is narrow in each direction If you need the clearance, go out in Ft Lauderdale and back in either at Miami or one of the ship channels going into the bay.

#6 ·
Catalyst...have done the ditch several times in my boat which also has a 64'' mast height and have never brushed a bridge even though several are close. Might be a problem in some places with an exceptionally high tide but in normal conditions you can do everything but the Julia Tuttle bridge in Miami. Depths and shoaling are much more of a problem and you should definitely check out skipper Bob''s waterway guide AND his web updates (see link on Gord May''s reply above. The BoatUS.com message boards also ave a waterway update section from Tom and Mel Neale which is most helpful. Finally...if you have an SSB reception capability, the daily Cruizheimers net provides the most up to date comments on ICW problems. (Daily Net on 8152 USB at 0830 ET) Best..BigGB

#9 ·
As long as you don''t plan on following the ICW westward through Lousianna some day. There is at least one bridge that has a 50'' clearance and is a ''Lift'' bridge (doesn''t open. Maybe research you guides to make sure even the ones where you are wanting to go are opening and not lift bridges.
Have fun,
CJS

#12 ·
There is a bridge across the southern end of the Alligator-Pungo Canal that is probably 64 ft. and does 'stop' a lot of 64-65ft. high boats, especially when there is a strong northerly component wind that brings a lot of wind tide. Ive 'brushed' (antenna, etc.) this bridge with a 63+ high rig when the wind tide was high.

#13 ·
There are a few bridges that boats with tall enough masts should concern themselves with...

The Wilkerson bridge which is a the south end of the Carolina cut the aligator river being at the north end...

We took a friends boat under this one; where all the instruments where cleaned off... Tide dependent except there are claims that there are no tides there.. 1 knot south bound - I went under it with my own boat - height marker read 65' So with this one you need to practice taking your stuff off the top or tilting the mast to get under it; apparently 63' working height.

I don't know this but reported to me that the bridge at the north end of Moorhead City is of concern

The first bridge at south end of Moorhead City - tide dependence - somewhat concerned at the time

Bunch of new bridges built lately.. and lots of other pitfalls depending on when you show up.. after the spots have been dredged or not..

Florida is shallow..

Glenn

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.