Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2005

pjfsail is on a distinguished road
On demand propane hot water heaters

Do any of you cruisers have any experience with, On demand propane hot water heaters? I would appreciate listening to your experience and what brand you are using. Thanks, Peter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-20-2005

Thermal is on a distinguished road

I have one of these, though not on my boat. I would think that it would not be practical on a boat since they use quite a bit of propane, those little 20# bottles would not last very long. They also aren''t that good in cold climates since the water can freeze in there when it''s not in use, and it''s difficult to drain completely. the one I have is made by Bosch and seems to be well made.
Old 06-21-2005
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough

My Nauticat has a Junkers (German) on-demand propane hw heater. During the pre-purchase inspections-trials, I thought I would replace it with a conventional engine heated/electric tank, such as we have had on former boats. However, after MUCH use for several weeks at dock & two-night overnighters, I have grown to prefer it.

I have two 11 lb. aluminum cylinders, each in dedicated propane lockers located within the side decks and have not had to refill yet. The prior owner claimed one tank lasted him all season, although I''m not certain how often he used the boat. Our upcoming two-week cruise will be a great test, coupled with a 140 gal water tank, I don''t anticipate problems.

The greatest advantage is instant, unlimited hot water, any time. We cannot open the tap to full hot when showering. The water gets scalding hot . . . a great luxury for cruising sailors. The only negative side is the pilot flame. I will not leave it lit when we''re not on the boat, just too risky for my comfort. It is easy to relight though, just open the valve & press the ignitor button. As far as winterizing goes, no problem at all. Simply open the brass **** on the unit''s bottom and all water is drained.

My boat''s installation is original and very well done. Whenever our boat-experienced guests see and use the system, they are very impressed. If installing one as aftermarket, for safety concerns, I highly recommend a professional. I would also highly endorse the system for people who do a lot of cruising. If plugged into shorepower most of the time, a tank heater is the way to go.

Steve
Old 06-21-2005

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

I am not familiar with the Junkers. Do they have an exhaust flue and intake air vent. I have considered using one of these on demand systems on my boat. There is a serious hazzard with the unvented type with regards to carbon monoxide poisoning and oxygen depletion problems.

Jeff
Old 06-21-2005
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough

Jeff,
That was exactly my earlier concern as well. However, upon close inspection, I came to realize how safe the system is. This installation incorporates a stainless steel hood (not unlike a Viking gas range) secured independantly over the top of the bulkhead-mounted heater. The fume extractor is side-vented through the galley teak interior paneling and exterior FRP by way of an exterior-pitched metal sleeve, fitted with a circular metal damper at the outlet. The damper can be screwed in (inside/outside control) when sailing in foul weather, or out when in use.

I was very impressed by the quality of installation . . . I design high-end buildings, like you, and have grown accustomed to quality craft & materials.

My propane oven/cooktop is vented via an operable hatch just overhead and as previously mentioned, the regulated cylinders are on the exterior, in vented lockers. As you know, propane sinks and could present hazards in faulty installations.

Edit: I forgot to mention that Junkers was bought by Bosch who continues to use the Junkers name on some of their high-end products.

Steve
Old 06-22-2005

Steve, I appreciate so much you reporting your experience. I used Google to do a search and found there are several different models of Bosch On Demand Hot Water Heaters. Can you tell me which model you have? Thanks again, Peter
Old 06-24-2005

The web site, http://www.houseneeds.com/shop/specials/specialitems1.htm, offers a number of Bosch Aquastar On Demand Propane Fired Hot Water Heaters for sale. They have pilot light heaters along with battery sparked, and even a hydrospark unit. I would be interested in the battery sparked, model # 125X. Anyone else have any experience with On Demand Propane Fired Hot Water Heaters?
Thanks, Peter
Old 06-29-2005

sneuman is on a distinguished road

I can only speak of on-demand water heaters in general. They are common in households in Asia. Work wonderfully - unlimited hot water instantly; they are also very efficient, heating only when needed, not wasting gas/electricity to keep a pot boiling (or near boiling). I have been living in Asia for several years now and cannot understand why this idea hasn''t caught on in the states. Just makes too much sense. But, like many other things, the USA is WAY behind vis-a-vis the rest of the world.
Old 07-01-2005

JeffC_ is on a distinguished road

Sneuman, I believe that has much to do with North Americans'' having, historically speaking, abundant natural resources, so see no need to husband those resources. Much of America''s approach to energy use, IMHO, simply has to do with the lack of incentive to be efficient.

I''m not a pessimist, just a keen student of human nature. Until folks actually feel a hit in their wallets, lifestyles or national prestige (remember the Space Race?), efficient ways to produce/store/use energy will remain undeveloped or under-utilized, and those who go outside the mainstream will be regarded as a bit kooky.

The implications for the sailing fraternity are self-evident.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.