Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2014

Pearson796 is on a distinguished road
Slow Motion Cruising

We really love the freedom that our sailboat affords us.

When we started doing The Loop in November 2013, we would have bet a pile of gold to a pile of beans that we would have been in the Keys by Christmas. We didn't even pack for cold weather. We were certain that we would stay in front of the cold weather. We had "this" all planned out

But a funny thing happened. We kept stopping and staying.

Now here we are on Kentucky Lake and we've decided to stick around for a while, do some work on the boat, and stay for a while.

We've met someone here who has several years of sailing in their experience and are going to teach us to sail this summer.

Who knows how long we will actually stay here. All I know is we aren't on a schedule and aren't in a hurry.

I have traveled all over and have been to every state in the lower 48. But I have never seen this part of the US in this way.

I don't regret buying this boat... yet.
Lou452 and Rhapsody-NS27 like this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-18-2014

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Re: Slow Motion Cruising

One of the great cliches of sailing: If you don't have to hurry, don't. If you do have to hurry, why are you on a freakin' sailboat?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-18-2014

Delezynski is on a distinguished road

That's it!!!!

Our plans were for 3 months in Mexico, 4 YEARS later we had to return to the US just as we were heading south... GREAT TIME!!!

Greg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube page -
Old 01-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
One of the great cliches of sailing: If you don't have to hurry, don't. If you do have to hurry, why are you on a freakin' sailboat?
I'm not telling anyone how they should enjoy the loop, but when I see people doing the loop in 200+ mile days, I often wondered why they are doing the loop.

We want to see things and meet people.

I guess some people just want to hurry up and do the loop and get it over with so they can say they've done it.
Old 01-18-2014

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

My signature line isn't just aspirational, it's how we always cruise. Sounds like your approach is the same as ours.

As our friends race from anchorage to anchorage we just let our hook dig deeper and deeper. It's how we plan to travel when we go full time starting this summer.

So go on ya!
gbgreen59 likes this.
Old 01-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
My signature line isn't just aspirational, it's how we always cruise. Sounds like your approach is the same as ours.

As our friends race from anchorage to anchorage we just let our hook dig deeper and deeper. It's how we plan to travel when we go full time starting this summer.

So go on ya!
I will have to admit that one of the biggest reasons we are staying where we are now is because this marina is dirt cheap and the treat us so well.

Since November, when we launched at Kenosha, WI, we discovered there were things we'd like to have for the boat and some work we wanted to do. There will not be another Marina this cheap anytime soon on our route so we decided to stay here for a while. I even got my vehicle out of storage, threw Kentucky No-fault insurance on it and brought here.

It's been good for us because we acquired a Dinghy here. I don't care what anyone tells you, if you have a slow boat with a 5' keel, you need a dinghy.

SO FAR, I really like this life.
Old 01-18-2014

Hey all, I just wanted to clarify that I'm not bashing on people who are on tight time constraints and need to get the loop done and have to hurry through it.

I just wanted to express that we love that we are in a position that we don't have to be rushed on our journey.

I'm not, in any way, shape, or form, telling anyone that they are doing the loop wrong. I'm just saying that our way works well for us because it is what we want for us.
Old 01-18-2014
Life is a wild ride!

Dean101 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearson796 View Post
I will have to admit that one of the biggest reasons we are staying where we are now is because this marina is dirt cheap and the treat us so well.

Since November, when we launched at Kenosha, WI, we discovered there were things we'd like to have for the boat and some work we wanted to do. There will not be another Marina this cheap anytime soon on our route so we decided to stay here for a while. I even got my vehicle out of storage, threw Kentucky No-fault insurance on it and brought here.

It's been good for us because we acquired a Dinghy here. I don't care what anyone tells you, if you have a slow boat with a 5' keel, you need a dinghy.

SO FAR, I really like this life.
There are several good marinas on Kentucky Lake. When I had my boat I kept her in Sugar Creek Bay marina. It's on Blood River. If you don't mind my asking, which marina are you at? When I go kayaking over to LBL (Land Between the Lakes) I usually put in at the ramp at Kenlake Marina and cross the lake at the bridge. I really hope you enjoy the area! Lot's of good fishing if you're into it.
Old 01-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean101 View Post
There are several good marinas on Kentucky Lake. When I had my boat I kept her in Sugar Creek Bay marina. It's on Blood River. If you don't mind my asking, which marina are you at? When I go kayaking over to LBL (Land Between the Lakes) I usually put in at the ramp at Kenlake Marina and cross the lake at the bridge. I really hope you enjoy the area! Lot's of good fishing if you're into it.
We are at Kenlake Marina. Ben and Scott here are awesome. Mike, the previous owner, died expectantly a few months ago and his exwife has taken the place over.

The marina is pretty full and the Slip Renter's parking area gets a little full on the weekends.

As for fishing, I have little interest in fresh water fish and I don't see myself fishing until I hit saltwater.... I really like flounder.
Old 01-18-2014
Life is a wild ride!

Dean101 is on a distinguished road

That's great! Kenlake is a really nice park. I hope all the bridge construction isn't too annoying. I never met the owners there but the people in the store are always nice!