Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2014

Pearson796 is on a distinguished road
Yup, The Harbor Froze AGAIN!

The last couple of nights have been horrible for sleep. Two nights ago I woke up to ice hitting the hull and when I climbed out of the V-berth to use the head, the weight in the boat shifted and I huge cracking of ice was heard as the boat settled.

From about 3a into the rest of the morning, I could not sleep as I heard cracking and banging on the hull.

Last night there was bumping most of the night from the ice.

Well, today we woke up to relatively warm temps and no condensation on the Vberth windows are frost/ice on them.

Today I ended up getting a D-Icer. That means no more ice building up around the hull! Yay... I'm so happy. Maybe I'll be able to sleep better on those bitter cold nights when the harbor starts to freeze.

It was an awesome day today with temps hitting the mid 40's. Tomorrow it's supposed to hit 50. Unfortunately we have another arctic front moving through and single digits are supposed to happen a couple of days this week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-25-2014
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road
Re: Yup, The Harbor Froze AGAIN!

this is Lakes Bay behind Atlantic City. I have not seen the back bays this frozen in decades. That little bit of green in the middle bottom is the -only- free water as far as the eye can see. The guys who redrive all the dock pilings are going to have a good spring

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-25-2014
Banned

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Except for on day in early December, we haven't seen any sea ice here in BC .Its been one of the warmest, driest winters on record.
A big high and the movement east of the jet stream has meant warm air from Hawaii here, while the east side of the high has sent the arctic air south , east of the Rockies. One possible benefit in Florida may mean the Pythons may go extinct there. They are not evolved for long cold periods.
Old 01-25-2014

rbyham is on a distinguished road

Doubt the cold will bother the pythons... they will just go indoors. :-)
utchuckd likes this.
Old 01-25-2014
Daniel - Norsea 27

Rhapsody-NS27 is on a distinguished road

When I was looking for a marina to put my boat, I asked a lady about whether boats were hauled out in winter time. She said "we don't freeze here" and this morning, I looked at their web cam and saw the whole bay was frozen. Funny how things work out. I'm sure it's been a long time since that happened.

A guy from work said he's been in this area for 7 winters and this is the strangest winter ever. He said that while it does get cold, what we're seeing now is much colder than in the past.

Quote:
Aside from what it teaches you, there is simply the indescribable degree of peace that can be achieved on a sailing vessel at sea. I guess a combination of hard work and the seemingly infinite expanse of the sea - the profound solitude - that does it for me. - Billy Campbell
Old 01-25-2014

Pearson796 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody-NS27 View Post
When I was looking for a marina to put my boat, I asked a lady about whether boats were hauled out in winter time. She said "we don't freeze here" and this morning, I looked at their web cam and saw the whole bay was frozen. Funny how things work out. I'm sure it's been a long time since that happened.

A guy from work said he's been in this area for 7 winters and this is the strangest winter ever. He said that while it does get cold, what we're seeing now is much colder than in the past.
That's what they are saying here, this is highly unusual. When we first got here, the guys were saying there were a couple of cold weeks in January but things started to warm up by Feb.

We even looked up the weather history for this area and saw that it rarely had hard freezes.

But what do we get? We get a whole lot of teens and several days of single digits.

I wish the heck it would start to warm up so I could complain about the heat!
Rhapsody-NS27 likes this.
Old 01-25-2014
'81 H22 & '86 Legend 37

CruisingCouple is on a distinguished road

It's all caused by global warming. Somebody sent me a link to some blog for a government scientist at the whitehouse, but now I can't find it. Anyway, this dude said the cold weather is "more than likely" caused by global warming. Yep, it's true.

Seems the "polar vortex", that they just invented last week to describe how winter works, normally stays trapped at the north pole. But global warming has weakened the "barrier" that's supposed to keep it there and the "polar vortex" got out. Yep, it's true.

It all made perfect sense to me
Old 01-26-2014
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingCouple View Post
Seems the "polar vortex", that they just invented last week to describe how winter works, normally stays trapped at the north pole.
Yeah, "they just invented" it.

Sorry to break it to you, but the "Polar Vortex", the new weather buzzwords that have been sweeping social media, isn't a newly discovered weather phenomenon at all, or even rare.

The Polar Vortex: Filtering The Science Through The Hype

The polar vortex was first described as early as 1853. The phenomenon's sudden stratospheric warming (SSW) appears during the wintertime in the Northern Hemisphere and was discovered in 1952 with radiosonde observations at altitudes higher than 20 km.

As for the dreaded "polar vortex," which is responsible for the cold sweeping through much of the country? It's there every winter but moves around -- sometimes it's nearer Canada and the United States, other times closer to Asia and Europe...

Polar Vortex Chill Fails to Make History - Scientific American

Polar vortexes, though, are nothing new. They occur seasonally at the North Pole...

Here's What The 'Polar Vortex' That's Hitting The US Actually Is - Yahoo Finance

The polar vortex forms every year to the north...

Polar Vortex Blasts Tri-State With Arctic Winds, Dangerous Cold; Central Park Breaks 118-Year Low | NBC New York

This is not a new phenomenon. Meteorologists have studied the polar vortex for decades.

What is the polar vortex? - New York News

Just because you never heard of it before doesn't mean it was "just invented."
Lubrdink and Minnesail like this.

Last edited by Fstbttms; 01-26-2014 at 12:28 AM.
Old 01-26-2014

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road

Only two places you should find solid water, iced tea and scotch on the rocks, anything else is simply unnatural.
Old 01-26-2014
'81 H22 & '86 Legend 37

CruisingCouple is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstbttms View Post
Just because you never heard of it before doesn't mean it was "just invented."
Oh. Where I come from, for thousands of years, it's just been called "winter". We always figured it was caused by the sun going on vacation down in the Bahamas for a few months every year.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.