Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree197Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2014
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Re: $3000/mo cruising budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
I am still trying to figure out what word he means by "lose", and even more so, how I could possibly formulate that as a question.

"When you say lose do you mean lose or loose? If you mean lose then how do you say loose? If you mean loose, how is your lose?"

Clear as mud.
I've noticed that many Americans spell 'lose' as in not to win as 'loose' which to me means not tight. To an Anglo English speaker (of sorts) that really jars.

Otoh ... Australians probably should not be throwing stones. Oz english btw is known as Strine. The country of course is known as Straya or if you prefer Girt.

Thanks for the reply Minne. Sometimes the anti American jibes are taken seriously when in most cases it is just joshing.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 02-08-2014 at 09:31 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-07-2014
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Whoa ... sorry but this must stop. My apologies to Don for the hijack.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 02-07-2014
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
I've noticed that many Americans spell 'lose' as in not to win as 'loose' which to me means no tight. To an Anglo English speaker (of sorts) that really jars.
To an American that really jars too. That just means they can't spell, since they are always different words in American english too.
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Kemah, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-07-2014
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
To an American that really jars too. That just means they can't spell, since they are always different words in American english too.
That is good to hear. Maybe there is hope for you lot after all.

Old 02-07-2014
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
I've noticed that many Americans spell 'lose' as in not to win as 'loose' which to me means no tight..
I can drift some with it.

The Americans you are referring to to are special and what they are doing is referring to their self as being a loose loser. These are the one's trying to cruise on $200/mo plus a welfare check with their best "special" friend who is also their first cousin and the smarter one, having made it though the sixth grade.

I hope I have cleared up it mate. (did I do that right?)

BTW - what's the expected cost of a causal type dinner for 2 in Oz in a cruiser hangout?
Old 02-07-2014
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
I can drift some with it.

The Americans you are referring to to are special and what they are doing is referring to their self as being a loose loser. These are the one's trying to cruise on $200/mo plus a welfare check with their best "special" friend who is also their first cousin and the smarter one, having made it though the sixth grade.

I hope I have cleared up it mate. (did I do that right?)

BTW - what's the expected cost of a causal type dinner for 2 in Oz in a cruiser hangout?
Hard to quantify that. For example we ate Korean last evening and that was AUD50 before tip and alcohol. Previous evening at a local pub including drinks came to just over AUD100 half of which was booze but we only had one starter. Otoh, lunch last month for the Wombet's birthday was AUD500 but that was very much out of the ordinary .... thankfully.

Old 02-08-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Go watch one of those restaurant rehab shows. They all say that the ingredients in a restaurant meal shouldn't cost more than 1/3 of the price charged for it. And, that doesn't even include the tip.

In other words, take the best restaurant meal you ever had, and know you should have been able to cook it yourself for 1/3 of what you paid.

Anybody here who drinks wine knows what the markup on that is at a restaurant. It can be anywhere from 200 to 500 per cent mark up. Does it taste better when you pay that much more for it?

Buying it yourself and making your meal on your boat, instead of eating out at the Tiki bar, doesn't mean you're a bum.

Neither does finding a place you can drop the hook instead of staying at a marina or on a mooring.

Knowing what I know now, I plan on spending a lot less on my next cruise.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 02-08-2014
just ducky

Was there a point other that it costs more to eat/drink out than it does at home/boat? I believe everyone knows this it should be included as a separate thing in you budget.
Old 02-08-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
Was there a point other that it costs more to eat/drink out than it does at home/boat? I believe everyone knows this it should be included as a separate thing in you budget.
Everyone? You sure about that?

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 02-08-2014
just ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Everyone? You sure about that?

You are right I can not be 100% sure. There probably is someone who believes it is cheaper to eat out than cook in. In which case they HAVE to dine out to stay on budget.

In fact I'm 99% positive that eating out can be less expense:

It occurred to me the other day that if you eat out at McDonald's off the $1 menu and drank a glass of V8 juice that you could get all your daily needs for about $4. Which seems like a better deal than what some of the cheap cruisers eat for the same budget.

Last edited by Don0190; 02-08-2014 at 10:11 AM.