Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree193Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: $3000/mo cruising budget

Yes, a restaurant costs more. I'm certain more people understand that than they understand the systems they have aboard.

I'm a pretty good cook, but not everything is going to be possible, at least not practical, to replicate aboard. I had a lamb shank with a red wine veal demi glace the other night. Are you going to make a demi aboard? It's just a different experience.

I'm also a big fan of the concept of a Public House (ie pub). Its more than a place to nourish, its a place for social interaction. Our favorite spot is an American Bistro, whose long bar is along the entire side of the restaurant and the dining tables are essentially in the same room. It's energetic, top notch food, we always know someone there. The entire staff knows us as well. Its an American public house with 5 star food. That can't be replicated aboard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-08-2014
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
My planned $3000/mo budget for 2 people breaks down to:
food - $1200
boat (mooring, maintenance, insurance) - $1000
eating out & entertainment - $500
phone - $100
misc - $200

So we drifted off the thread and I had my part in it (except for the eating at McDonald's because that was genius talking).

The topic is the above budget for a long term cruiser (talking years) going from place to to place. Some of those months will be higher and some lower, but the location gets taken into account and you vary the time in each to make it work. The $3000/mo is in today's money and you have to be aware of inflation, you either have to spend less each year or have income increase to maintain.

If this budget seems wrong to you (high or low), why and what would you change?

Last edited by Don0190; 02-08-2014 at 12:26 PM.
Old 02-08-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Yes, a restaurant costs more. I'm certain more people understand that than they understand the systems they have aboard.

I'm a pretty good cook, but not everything is going to be possible, at least not practical, to replicate aboard. I had a lamb shank with a red wine veal demi glace the other night. Are you going to make a demi aboard? It's just a different experience.

I'm also a big fan of the concept of a Public House (ie pub). Its more than a place to nourish, its a place for social interaction. Our favorite spot is an American Bistro, whose long bar is along the entire side of the restaurant and the dining tables are essentially in the same room. It's energetic, top notch food, we always know someone there. The entire staff knows us as well. Its an American public house with 5 star food. That can't be replicated aboard.
You're right. You're definitely not ever going to make it on $500 a month.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 02-08-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
You're right. You're definitely not ever going to make it on $500 a month.
I hope not. It's far from my plan.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-08-2014
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
You are right I can not be 100% sure. There probably is someone who believes it is cheaper to eat out than cook in. In which case they HAVE to dine out to stay on budget.
I will be that person.

In some places, the locals eat all their meals out (for example: Penang, Malaysia) because it is cheaper than cooking at home (cook at home for special occasions). In India you can get a Thali for $.50. No way you could cook that at home for that price.

Again, in some places, if you eat like the locals, eating out is cheap.
aeventyr60 likes this.
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Port Aransas, Texas

Old 02-08-2014

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I'm also a big fan of the concept of a Public House (ie pub). Its more than a place to nourish, its a place for social interaction.
Yep, those sort of places are great. Restaurants are fine if you have already got friends, but not if you've just lobbed in.

Old 02-08-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I hope not. It's far from my plan.
I'm glad for you.

I should show you the list of things that have happened to me in my life that were far from my plan.
RainDog likes this.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico

Last edited by Group9; 02-08-2014 at 02:53 PM.
Old 02-08-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
......I should show you the list of things that have happened to me in my life that were far from my plan.
I've got one too. Cruising kitty isn't nearly the most important thing in life.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 02-08-2014

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Hard to quantify that. For example we ate Korean last evening and that was AUD50 before tip and alcohol. Previous evening at a local pub including drinks came to just over AUD100 half of which was booze but we only had one starter. Otoh, lunch last month for the Wombet's birthday was AUD500 but that was very much out of the ordinary .... thankfully.
Burger at the Darwin Yacht club was 25 bucks, mate.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 02-09-2014
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post
Burger at the Darwin Yacht club was 25 bucks, mate.

Now there is something I never would have probably learned. Even the chance of walking by the outside of a Yacht Club and reading a menu outside would be a reach on my budget. I'm pretty sure that in some long lost language that Yacht Club means "to suck money out well dressed boaters pockets" and was developed as a high end choice for those that would normally go to a pub.