Not a Member? 

Like Tree197Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2014

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road
Re: $3000/mo cruising budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
Now there is something I never would have probably learned. Even the chance of walking by the outside of a Yacht Club and reading a menu outside would be a reach on my budget. I'm pretty sure that in some long lost language that Yacht Club means "to suck money out well dressed boaters pockets" and was developed as a high end choice for those that would normally go to a pub.

Well, you just need to get out a bit more. A far better burger is available a the Phucket Cruising Yacht Club with fries for 4 bucks. Cruising yachties from all over the globe seem to manage at least one and a few $1.45 Singha Beers.

The owners wife threw a B day party 2 nights ago with free food for all. Talk about a good time. Still recovering from the fun and fellowship with sailiors from all over the world on all types of budgets. The smallest boat and the guy with the biggest heart and the most friends and the loveliest gal was on a vancouver 27.

Make sure you explore the little, tiny yacht clubs catering to the cruisers who ply the worlds water, you'll never ever meet a more generous and sincere group of folks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-09-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
.....in some long lost language that Yacht Club means "to suck money out well dressed boaters pockets"......
I heard it meant, place to get drunk where no one you will pick on you for having become successful.

I don't belong to one, but I often feel I need to be apologetic that I'm the first in my family to graduate from college, worked hard and can afford a few nice things now. My year end bonus had a full 50% deducted for taxes, but I'm told I don't pay enough. I totally get why private clubs exist.
aeventyr60 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-09-2014
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I heard it meant, place to get drunk where no one you will pick on you for having become successful.

I don't belong to one, but I often feel I need to be apologetic that I'm the first in my family to graduate from college, worked hard and can afford a few nice things now. My year end bonus had a full 50% deducted for taxes, but I'm told I don't pay enough. I totally get why private clubs exist.
I understand and get the same feeling on some of the other threads. But I've never been to a Yacht Club in my 6 years of sailing (I've never even stayed in a slip) so can not really judge. My wife and I have decided that we are OK with being white trash with money and even though we used to go to fancy places 25 years ago when younger now prefer places like brew pubs.

I would think that doing Yacht Clubs would make it pretty challenging to cruise on $3000/mo for long.

Last edited by Don0190; 02-11-2014 at 09:06 AM.
Old 02-09-2014
Owl

-OvO- is on a distinguished road

Yacht Clubs and "gentlemen's clubs" used to provide valuable opportunities for the brasher youth of the gentry to learn about comportment, decorum, and noblesse oblige. Meaning, at the least, that it was considered unbecoming to bemoan the burdens of one's good fortune. Regrettably, American culture has been so broadened by the mass popular media, that too many young riches nouveau and ancienne are only distinguishable from the common lout by the scale of their coarseness, but not its character.
Old 02-09-2014

outbound is on a distinguished road

Was a yacht club member for twenty years.
Cheap launch service.
Acted as buyers club so cheaper supplies and services like winter sticks done right and for a good price.
Got reciprocality when cruising.
Had a great sailing program.in fact produced some girls who won the Olympics .
Easy to pick up crew.
Fun to race against boats you knew.
Now have owners of sisterships for advice and companionship scattered all over and slip mates. Serve the same kind of functions.
Guess I'm a lout. Can't stand pretentiousness. Didn't see much at our pretty down to earth yacht club.
MikeOReilly, aeventyr60 and Lou452 like this.
Old 02-09-2014

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

I know I'm not supposed to post here b/c I'm one of the unwashed masses, but I just wanted to say not all yacht clubs are created equal. I have belonged to two so far. No sailor whites and no $12 burgers. But you can use the club BBQ if you bring your own propane, and if you want your boat hauled and mast taken down, then you better pitch in and help your neighbour do the same, b/c that's the only way things get done, no matter how "successful" one is.

We have millionaires, we have people on social assistance, and we have plenty of folks in between. We work together, and we play together. Incredible, eh?
Old 02-09-2014

outbound is on a distinguished road

Mike. +1 on your post. Had opportunity to join yacht club in town I was living in or town I work in. Snots v. Sailors. Many clubs are sailors and we are all equal before the sea.
Old 02-09-2014
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road

I think of the "all members help or do volunteer work at the club" as Boat Clubs. Most (there are always exceptions) Yacht Clubs have full restaurants and facilities and Boat Clubs have a patio (with a tent over it at the nicer ones) with a gas grill that you can use and a couple of showers. Yacht Clubs have paid staff workers and Boat Clubs have members doing those things mostly

May come down to whether you think of your boat as a "yacht" or a "boat".

There is a place for both and I don't have anything against "yachties".

Last edited by Don0190; 02-09-2014 at 01:48 PM.
Old 02-09-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by -OvO- View Post
....opportunities for the brasher youth of the gentry to learn about comportment, decorum, and noblesse oblige......
Good approach in the days of the Rockefellers and Vanderbilts, when their fortunes were made at the cost of human lives to build their oil wells and rail roads. Make no mistake that their noble oblige was as much a pay off.

I sit on three charitable boards, because I choose to. Not because I feel the need to provide recompense for what I've done to anyone.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-09-2014
Owl

-OvO- is on a distinguished road

I might put it another way: it don't take money to have class.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.