Like Tree193Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2014
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road
Re: $3000/mo cruising budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
I know I'm not supposed to post here b/c I'm one of the unwashed masses, but I just wanted to say not all yacht clubs are created equal.
I just hate it when those people from the $500 per month thread come over here.It just ruins the whole atmosphere.

Old 02-09-2014
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road

I guess it's OK for the unwashed to come over (we would prefer a clean up first). But after all:

We got winners, we got losers
Chain smokers and boozers
And we got yuppies, we got bikers
We got thirsty hitchhikers
And the girls next boat over dress up like movie stars

Hmm, hmm, hmm I love this yacht club

We got cowboys, we got truckers
Broken-hearted fools and suckers
And we got hustlers, we got fighters
Early birds and all-nighters
And the veterans talk about their battle scars

Hmm, hmm, hmm I love this club
Group9 and Sal Paradise like this.
Old 02-09-2014

hpeer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
I know I'm not supposed to post here b/c I'm one of the unwashed masses, but I just wanted to say not all yacht clubs are created equal. I have belonged to two so far. No sailor whites and no $12 burgers. But you can use the club BBQ if you bring your own propane, and if you want your boat hauled and mast taken down, then you better pitch in and help your neighbour do the same, b/c that's the only way things get done, no matter how "successful" one is.

We have millionaires, we have people on social assistance, and we have plenty of folks in between. We work together, and we play together. Incredible, eh?
Mike,

If you make it to Newfoundland check out the Lewisporte Yacht Club. You'll feel right at home. Great place. Good to leave boat over winter.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-09-2014

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
If you make it to Newfoundland check out the Lewisporte Yacht Club. You'll feel right at home. Great place. Good to leave boat over winter.
Thanks Hpeer. It looks like a great place. I've got a few question for you, but I'll PM them. Don't want to intrude on the erudite discourse of my financial betters .
Old 02-09-2014
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by -OvO- View Post
I might put it another way: it don't take money to have class.
Judging by 99% of the multi-million dollar houses on the lake I sail on, money is certainly no guarantee of taste either. I had to sail 30 miles up the lake to find the first attractive house.
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Port Aransas, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-09-2014
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post
Burger at the Darwin Yacht club was 25 bucks, mate.
Even for Sydney that is one expensive burger. Hope it was one splendid lump of minced cow.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 02-10-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I heard it meant, place to get drunk where no one you will pick on you for having become successful.

I don't belong to one, but I often feel I need to be apologetic that I'm the first in my family to graduate from college, worked hard and can afford a few nice things now. My year end bonus had a full 50% deducted for taxes, but I'm told I don't pay enough. I totally get why private clubs exist.
I was in one here (one of the oldest clubs in the nation) for several years before I got out.

I began to notice a smaller and smaller percentage of members who actually had a boat, or cared anything about boating. The growing sentiment seemed to be that if they just get rid of all of the boaters and boating facilities, the "yacht" club would be a lot better off.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 02-13-2014
Oathkeepers member

jerryrlitton will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to jerryrlitton Send a message via MSN to jerryrlitton Send a message via Yahoo to jerryrlitton Send a message via Skype™ to jerryrlitton

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
There were a lot of days when I had fresh-grilled hot dogs for lunch. Hot dogs are dirt cheap, and really tasted great with chopped Vidalia onion, sweet pickled relish, a slice of American cheese wrapped around it and some yellow mustard. Hotdog rolls were always on sale at the grocery store. I also used the hotdog rolls for Italian sausage lunches as well.

l:

Travelinez:
Sometimes the simplest food tastes the best after a long day on the water. Enjoyed a few hot dogs at a remote anchorage in Thailand tonight. After all the fresh fruit, veggies and hot local thai food, a good ol hot dog with yellow mustard, heinz relish, onions and jalapeno pepper's sure hit the spot. Tomorrow it will be back to fresh fish and locally grown veggies...

A Kings Trade
Dewey Lamdin

Money canít buy you happiness.
But it buys you a big enough yacht to
sail you right up to it!
(Johnny Depp)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jerryrlitton; 02-13-2014 at 09:20 AM.
Old 02-13-2014
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Hot dogs, sausage, wursts, are a wide concept. Very wide price range depending on what is in them on how many health recalls the source has had.

Eating out because you can't cook at home is also not what it might seem. In many places, including India, people can't afford to buy FUEL for their primitive cookers, it isn't like the urban Old World or New where all you do is turn the knob and pay by the unit.

Ditto for yacht clubs. In the US many of them have a restaurant as a split convenience or accommodation, and the members are required to spend xx dollars per month in the restaurant, in order to help ensure it makes enough money to keep it running. Others charge stiff rates to keep out the riffraff, while a few actually just run it along with the bar as a convenience to the members, at a reasonable price.

So what is "expensive" depends a great deal on where you are and local circumstances. I'm told that in ancient Rome, plain citizens weren't allowed to cook at home--weren't allowed to, even if they could afford to. And that when "Nero fiddled while Rome burned' it may very well have been traced back to a cooking fire. We'd save a lot of lives and property in the US by banning domestic "flame" cooking devices, too. (G)
Old 02-13-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

First cruise I came back from (back in the 80s) we tore over to Pizza Hut, the second we had the lines tied off (before we even checked in with Customs).

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico