$3000/mo cruising budget - Page 15 - SailNet Community
 245Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #141 of 462 Old 02-09-2014
Captain Obvious

Re: $3000/mo cruising budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
I know I'm not supposed to post here b/c I'm one of the unwashed masses, but I just wanted to say not all yacht clubs are created equal.
I just hate it when those people from the $500 per month thread come over here.It just ruins the whole atmosphere.

Sal Paradise

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #142 of 462 Old 02-09-2014 Thread Starter
just ducky

I guess it's OK for the unwashed to come over (we would prefer a clean up first). But after all:

We got winners, we got losers
Chain smokers and boozers
And we got yuppies, we got bikers
We got thirsty hitchhikers
And the girls next boat over dress up like movie stars

Hmm, hmm, hmm I love this yacht club

We got cowboys, we got truckers
Broken-hearted fools and suckers
And we got hustlers, we got fighters
Early birds and all-nighters
And the veterans talk about their battle scars

Hmm, hmm, hmm I love this club
Group9 and Sal Paradise like this.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #143 of 462 Old 02-09-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
I know I'm not supposed to post here b/c I'm one of the unwashed masses, but I just wanted to say not all yacht clubs are created equal. I have belonged to two so far. No sailor whites and no $12 burgers. But you can use the club BBQ if you bring your own propane, and if you want your boat hauled and mast taken down, then you better pitch in and help your neighbour do the same, b/c that's the only way things get done, no matter how "successful" one is.

We have millionaires, we have people on social assistance, and we have plenty of folks in between. We work together, and we play together. Incredible, eh?
Mike,

If you make it to Newfoundland check out the Lewisporte Yacht Club. You'll feel right at home. Great place. Good to leave boat over winter.
post #144 of 462 Old 02-09-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
If you make it to Newfoundland check out the Lewisporte Yacht Club. You'll feel right at home. Great place. Good to leave boat over winter.
Thanks Hpeer. It looks like a great place. I've got a few question for you, but I'll PM them. Don't want to intrude on the erudite discourse of my financial betters .

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
post #145 of 462 Old 02-09-2014
Not Finished Yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by -OvO- View Post
I might put it another way: it don't take money to have class.
Judging by 99% of the multi-million dollar houses on the lake I sail on, money is certainly no guarantee of taste either. I had to sail 30 miles up the lake to find the first attractive house.

Pacific Seacraft 34 #142

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #146 of 462 Old 02-09-2014
tdw
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post
Burger at the Darwin Yacht club was 25 bucks, mate.
Even for Sydney that is one expensive burger. Hope it was one splendid lump of minced cow.

Andrew B

“Life is a trick, and you get one chance to learn it.”
― Terry Pratchett, Nation

Malo 39 Classic
post #147 of 462 Old 02-10-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I heard it meant, place to get drunk where no one you will pick on you for having become successful.

I don't belong to one, but I often feel I need to be apologetic that I'm the first in my family to graduate from college, worked hard and can afford a few nice things now. My year end bonus had a full 50% deducted for taxes, but I'm told I don't pay enough. I totally get why private clubs exist.
I was in one here (one of the oldest clubs in the nation) for several years before I got out.

I began to notice a smaller and smaller percentage of members who actually had a boat, or cared anything about boating. The growing sentiment seemed to be that if they just get rid of all of the boaters and boating facilities, the "yacht" club would be a lot better off.

On the northern Gulf of Mexico.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
post #148 of 462 Old 02-13-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
There were a lot of days when I had fresh-grilled hot dogs for lunch. Hot dogs are dirt cheap, and really tasted great with chopped Vidalia onion, sweet pickled relish, a slice of American cheese wrapped around it and some yellow mustard. Hotdog rolls were always on sale at the grocery store. I also used the hotdog rolls for Italian sausage lunches as well.

l:

Travelinez:
Sometimes the simplest food tastes the best after a long day on the water. Enjoyed a few hot dogs at a remote anchorage in Thailand tonight. After all the fresh fruit, veggies and hot local thai food, a good ol hot dog with yellow mustard, heinz relish, onions and jalapeno pepper's sure hit the spot. Tomorrow it will be back to fresh fish and locally grown veggies...

"Let there be light!" said God, and there was light! "Let there be blood!" says man, and there's a sea!
Lord Byron, Don Juan

S/V Temptation
Islander 44
(Very non-production)

Last edited by jerryrlitton; 02-13-2014 at 09:20 AM.
post #149 of 462 Old 02-13-2014
Reward for lost Kraken!

Hot dogs, sausage, wursts, are a wide concept. Very wide price range depending on what is in them on how many health recalls the source has had.

Eating out because you can't cook at home is also not what it might seem. In many places, including India, people can't afford to buy FUEL for their primitive cookers, it isn't like the urban Old World or New where all you do is turn the knob and pay by the unit.

Ditto for yacht clubs. In the US many of them have a restaurant as a split convenience or accommodation, and the members are required to spend xx dollars per month in the restaurant, in order to help ensure it makes enough money to keep it running. Others charge stiff rates to keep out the riffraff, while a few actually just run it along with the bar as a convenience to the members, at a reasonable price.

So what is "expensive" depends a great deal on where you are and local circumstances. I'm told that in ancient Rome, plain citizens weren't allowed to cook at home--weren't allowed to, even if they could afford to. And that when "Nero fiddled while Rome burned' it may very well have been traced back to a cooking fire. We'd save a lot of lives and property in the US by banning domestic "flame" cooking devices, too. (G)
post #150 of 462 Old 02-13-2014

First cruise I came back from (back in the 80s) we tore over to Pizza Hut, the second we had the lines tied off (before we even checked in with Customs).

On the northern Gulf of Mexico.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.