$3000/mo cruising budget - Page 16 - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 


Like Tree197Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #151  
Old 02-13-2014
fryewe's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Gulf Coast.
Posts: 1,157
Thanks: 24
Thanked 45 Times in 45 Posts
Rep Power: 10
fryewe is on a distinguished road
Re: $3000/mo cruising budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
We'd save a lot of lives and property in the US by banning domestic "flame" cooking devices, too. (G)
The body count due to the Saturday and Sunday afternoon Tailgate Riots in parking lots of football stadia across the fruited plain would offset any reduction in losses in other places...
__________________
“Sailors, with their built in sense of order, service and discipline, should really be running the world.” – Nicholas Monsarrat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #152  
Old 02-14-2014
aeventyr60's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Andaman Sea
Posts: 1,574
Thanks: 6
Thanked 32 Times in 30 Posts
Rep Power: 4
aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road
Re: $3000/mo cruising budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryewe View Post
The body count due to the Saturday and Sunday afternoon Tailgate Riots in parking lots of football stadia across the fruited plain would offset any reduction in losses in other places...
Population control methods at it's finest. Now just open those stadiums for gladiatorial combat for the unwashed masses.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #153  
Old 02-17-2014
just ducky
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: NH
Posts: 884
Thanks: 4
Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts
Rep Power: 7
Don0190 is on a distinguished road
Re: $3000/mo cruising budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
My planned $3000/mo budget for 2 people breaks down to:
food - $1200
boat (mooring, maintenance, insurance) - $1000
eating out & entertainment - $500
phone - $100
misc - $200

Seems nothing kills a thread faster than a couple of really off topic posts. So getting back to the topic as I believe there are still things to be learned, the above is the budget under consideration.

If your budget is, or is planned to be, more or less what numbers get changed to make it happen?

I've been clicking around on the internet more and keep finding cruisers with blogs that post years of their real numbers. I'm starting to believe this averages out to something between $2500-4000/mo. The $2500/mo seems to hold true till some larger boat work happens and then there will be a few months of $4000-5000, followed by some months of $1500-2000 where they try to recover some.

I think the lowest average I have come across on a blog from a real cruiser (as opposed to someone just living on their boat) has been about $1500/mo. But to be honest if I had to do the life they describe in their blog I would give it up and go back to work or something.

I also haven't found much far as real life examples of people cruising the way claimed on some of the "cruising on the cheap" threads (to lots of people THIS is a cruising on the cheap thread). Either it isn't possible or is so crappy that they quit. I thought maybe it was due to "they wouldn't have computers and internet" but based on how many will post about doing it on threads that doesn't appear to be true.
xort likes this.
__________________
Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Don0190; 02-17-2014 at 11:50 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #154  
Old 02-17-2014
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: wherever
Posts: 5,262
Thanks: 8
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Rep Power: 11
xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Re: $3000/mo cruising budget

Don...+1

You pretty well nailed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #155  
Old 02-17-2014
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 150
Thanks: 17
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Rep Power: 2
CLOSECALL is on a distinguished road
Re: $3000/mo cruising budget

I think that a cruising budget would generally reflect one's regular lifestyle's budget.
Group9 and Magnolia like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #156  
Old 02-17-2014
Group9's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,542
Thanks: 19
Thanked 58 Times in 57 Posts
Rep Power: 5
Group9 is on a distinguished road
Re: $3000/mo cruising budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLOSECALL View Post
I think that a cruising budget would generally reflect one's regular lifestyle's budget.
Yep. Pretty much, I imagine. Mine did.
__________________
On the northern Gulf of Mexico.


"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #157  
Old 02-17-2014
Cruisingdad's Avatar
Best Looking MALE Mod
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Washington State
Posts: 9,904
Thanks: 3
Thanked 110 Times in 53 Posts
Rep Power: 10
Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: $3000/mo cruising budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
Seems nothing kills a thread faster than a couple of really off topic posts. So getting back to the topic as I believe there are still things to be learned, the above is the budget under consideration.

If your budget is, or is planned to be, more or less what numbers get changed to make it happen?

I've been clicking around on the internet more and keep finding cruisers with blogs that post years of their real numbers. I'm starting to believe this averages out to something between $2500-4000/mo. The $2500/mo seems to hold true till some larger boat work happens and then there will be a few months of $4000-5000, followed by some months of $1500-2000 where they try to recover some.

I think the lowest average I have come across on a blog from a real cruiser (as opposed to someone just living on their boat) has been about $1500/mo. But to be honest if I had to do the life they describe in their blog I would give it up and go back to work or something.

I also haven't found much far as real life examples of people cruising the way claimed on some of the "cruising on the cheap" threads (to lots of people THIS is a cruising on the cheap thread). Either it isn't possible or is so crappy that they quit. I thought maybe it was due to "they wouldn't have computers and internet" but based on how many will post about doing it on threads that doesn't appear to be true.

I spend about 1200 now on food for me and wife and kids. That generally includes beer and wine but not alcohol. Alcohol reduces the beer and wine budget. We do not eat out much at all. In essence, i think your food budget is too high for two adults.

However, your maintenance, mooring and insurance budget is wayyyyy too low. A slip in Marathon in season is a cool 1000 by itself, per month on a 40' boat. Key West is 2000/month plus about 240 in electric. Aren't going to stay a month? No prob, but then you are dumping a cool 150/night and in 7 marina stops/month you just hit 1k again.

My insurance is 250/month and i have very cheap insurance because i am grandfathered in. Those with less experience and equally priced boats might double that. If you go to the carrib, you will likely double that (my rate did).

My maintenance is anywhere from 40-500/month. My generator parts are very expensive and I shudder every time something breaks. I do ALL of my own work for many reasons, money being one of them but not the biggest.

In all fairness, most places north of here get less expensive, but places south and east get more expensive.

For those cruising on 500/month, i have no idea how. The numbers dont add up to me... On this coast. Prices are cheaper in the pnw, as i shared, but that is not a place i enjoyed outside of summer. But just my food, FOOD!, is nearly three times that. Add in alcohol and it is 3 times that. My maintenance could easily hit 500 on some months, and possibly more on a really bad month. For example, my tach went out and a new one is just over 250. My macerator went out last week and that was 200. My head treatment is 40/month by itself. So if nothing else goes wrong this month, i am at 500 with me doing everything myself. Balance in a air conditioner failure or major equipment failure and those numbers go out the door to many thousands. And, those things WILL go out with 24/7 use.
guitarguy56 likes this.
__________________
Sailnet Moderator



1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Follow me on Facebook:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #158  
Old 02-17-2014
guitarguy56's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 522
Thanks: 6
Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts
Rep Power: 3
guitarguy56 is on a distinguished road
Re: $3000/mo cruising budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
I spend about 1200 now on food for me and wife and kids. That generally includes beer and wine but not alcohol. Alcohol reduces the beer and wine budget. We do not eat out much at all. In essence, i think your food budget is too high for two adults.

However, your maintenance, mooring and insurance budget is wayyyyy too low. A slip in Marathon in season is a cool 1000 by itself, per month on a 40' boat. Key West is 2000/month plus about 240 in electric. Aren't going to stay a month? No prob, but then you are dumping a cool 150/night and in 7 marina stops/month you just hit 1k again.

My insurance is 250/month and i have very cheap insurance because i am grandfathered in. Those with less experience and equally priced boats might double that. If you go to the carrib, you will likely double that (my rate did).

My maintenance is anywhere from 40-500/month. My generator parts are very expensive and I shudder every time something breaks. I do ALL of my own work for many reasons, money being one of them but not the biggest.

In all fairness, most places north of here get less expensive, but places south and east get more expensive.

For those cruising on 500/month, i have no idea how. The numbers dont add up to me... On this coast. Prices are cheaper in the pnw, as i shared, but that is not a place i enjoyed outside of summer. But just my food, FOOD!, is nearly three times that. Add in alcohol and it is 3 times that. My maintenance could easily hit 500 on some months, and possibly more on a really bad month. For example, my tach went out and a new one is just over 250. My macerator went out last week and that was 200. My head treatment is 40/month by itself. So if nothing else goes wrong this month, i am at 500 with me doing everything myself. Balance in a air conditioner failure or major equipment failure and those numbers go out the door to many thousands. And, those things WILL go out with 24/7 use.
So CD... if you tallied up your costs for one month say in Key West or Key Biscayne... are you in the $4500-5000 a month club (more costs in the Caribbean) more or less and reduces as you come back up the east coast?

I'm curious as that is what my wife and I would like to do albeit on a smaller craft (32-35 ft), your numbers seem more realistic than some others here and I trust it as you've cruised it already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #159  
Old 02-17-2014
MikeOReilly's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario
Posts: 1,137
Thanks: 104
Thanked 52 Times in 46 Posts
Rep Power: 5
MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road
Re: $3000/mo cruising budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLOSECALL View Post
I think that a cruising budget would generally reflect one's regular lifestyle's budget.
Yep. Pretty much, I imagine. Mine did.
This is why these threads rarely result in good answers. There is no general answer b/c it depends on each person's lifestyle, their boat, their choices, and what they consider needs vs wants.

It's the same as asking how much it costs to live on land -- it depends. It depends on where you live, the kind of house you have, your lifestyle choices, what your needs are, etc.

To answer the "how much does it cost" question I think you need to specify the general boat size, the location you're cruising in, the size of crew, their lifestyle needs, and likely a bunch more parameters I'm not thinking of right now. To borrow from fine literature, you need to know the ultimate question before you can understand the ultimate answer.
__________________
Why go fast, when you can go slow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #160  
Old 02-17-2014
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: wherever
Posts: 5,262
Thanks: 8
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Rep Power: 11
xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Re: $3000/mo cruising budget

Are we talking livaboard...at the dock...or cruising?
Brian, first thing you mentioned is marina fees. Most of us out cruising spend little time at marinas. Less than 15 days per year is quite easy most of the time for most of us. Mostly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tartan 3000, is the Hull cored? And .. how is she for Cruising jasper Boat Review and Purchase Forum 4 02-26-2009 12:41 PM
Budget Cruising/Bluewater Cruising Cruisingdad Cruising & Liveaboard Forum 102 03-14-2008 08:51 AM
Cruising Budget? PilotMike Cruising & Liveaboard Forum 24 08-09-2007 12:05 AM
Cruising budget???? bugged Cruising & Liveaboard Forum 10 03-17-2002 07:55 PM
CRUISING BUDGET TOMWILLOW Cruising & Liveaboard Forum 2 02-11-2001 01:22 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:53 AM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

The SailNet.com store is owned and operated by a company independent of the SailNet.com forum. You are now leaving the SailNet forum. Click OK to continue or Cancel to return to the SailNet forum.