Not a Member? 

Like Tree197Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2014

fryewe is on a distinguished road
Re: $3000/mo cruising budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
We'd save a lot of lives and property in the US by banning domestic "flame" cooking devices, too. (G)
The body count due to the Saturday and Sunday afternoon Tailgate Riots in parking lots of football stadia across the fruited plain would offset any reduction in losses in other places...
Old 02-14-2014

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryewe View Post
The body count due to the Saturday and Sunday afternoon Tailgate Riots in parking lots of football stadia across the fruited plain would offset any reduction in losses in other places...
Population control methods at it's finest. Now just open those stadiums for gladiatorial combat for the unwashed masses.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-2014
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
My planned $3000/mo budget for 2 people breaks down to:
food - $1200
boat (mooring, maintenance, insurance) - $1000
eating out & entertainment - $500
phone - $100
misc - $200

Seems nothing kills a thread faster than a couple of really off topic posts. So getting back to the topic as I believe there are still things to be learned, the above is the budget under consideration.

If your budget is, or is planned to be, more or less what numbers get changed to make it happen?

I've been clicking around on the internet more and keep finding cruisers with blogs that post years of their real numbers. I'm starting to believe this averages out to something between $2500-4000/mo. The $2500/mo seems to hold true till some larger boat work happens and then there will be a few months of $4000-5000, followed by some months of $1500-2000 where they try to recover some.

I think the lowest average I have come across on a blog from a real cruiser (as opposed to someone just living on their boat) has been about $1500/mo. But to be honest if I had to do the life they describe in their blog I would give it up and go back to work or something.

I also haven't found much far as real life examples of people cruising the way claimed on some of the "cruising on the cheap" threads (to lots of people THIS is a cruising on the cheap thread). Either it isn't possible or is so crappy that they quit. I thought maybe it was due to "they wouldn't have computers and internet" but based on how many will post about doing it on threads that doesn't appear to be true.
xort likes this.

Last edited by Don0190; 02-17-2014 at 11:50 AM.
Old 02-17-2014

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about

Don...+1

You pretty well nailed it.
Old 02-17-2014

CLOSECALL is on a distinguished road

I think that a cruising budget would generally reflect one's regular lifestyle's budget.
Group9 and Magnolia like this.
Old 02-17-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLOSECALL View Post
I think that a cruising budget would generally reflect one's regular lifestyle's budget.
Yep. Pretty much, I imagine. Mine did.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 02-17-2014
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
Seems nothing kills a thread faster than a couple of really off topic posts. So getting back to the topic as I believe there are still things to be learned, the above is the budget under consideration.

If your budget is, or is planned to be, more or less what numbers get changed to make it happen?

I've been clicking around on the internet more and keep finding cruisers with blogs that post years of their real numbers. I'm starting to believe this averages out to something between $2500-4000/mo. The $2500/mo seems to hold true till some larger boat work happens and then there will be a few months of $4000-5000, followed by some months of $1500-2000 where they try to recover some.

I think the lowest average I have come across on a blog from a real cruiser (as opposed to someone just living on their boat) has been about $1500/mo. But to be honest if I had to do the life they describe in their blog I would give it up and go back to work or something.

I also haven't found much far as real life examples of people cruising the way claimed on some of the "cruising on the cheap" threads (to lots of people THIS is a cruising on the cheap thread). Either it isn't possible or is so crappy that they quit. I thought maybe it was due to "they wouldn't have computers and internet" but based on how many will post about doing it on threads that doesn't appear to be true.

I spend about 1200 now on food for me and wife and kids. That generally includes beer and wine but not alcohol. Alcohol reduces the beer and wine budget. We do not eat out much at all. In essence, i think your food budget is too high for two adults.

However, your maintenance, mooring and insurance budget is wayyyyy too low. A slip in Marathon in season is a cool 1000 by itself, per month on a 40' boat. Key West is 2000/month plus about 240 in electric. Aren't going to stay a month? No prob, but then you are dumping a cool 150/night and in 7 marina stops/month you just hit 1k again.

My insurance is 250/month and i have very cheap insurance because i am grandfathered in. Those with less experience and equally priced boats might double that. If you go to the carrib, you will likely double that (my rate did).

My maintenance is anywhere from 40-500/month. My generator parts are very expensive and I shudder every time something breaks. I do ALL of my own work for many reasons, money being one of them but not the biggest.

In all fairness, most places north of here get less expensive, but places south and east get more expensive.

For those cruising on 500/month, i have no idea how. The numbers dont add up to me... On this coast. Prices are cheaper in the pnw, as i shared, but that is not a place i enjoyed outside of summer. But just my food, FOOD!, is nearly three times that. Add in alcohol and it is 3 times that. My maintenance could easily hit 500 on some months, and possibly more on a really bad month. For example, my tach went out and a new one is just over 250. My macerator went out last week and that was 200. My head treatment is 40/month by itself. So if nothing else goes wrong this month, i am at 500 with me doing everything myself. Balance in a air conditioner failure or major equipment failure and those numbers go out the door to many thousands. And, those things WILL go out with 24/7 use.
guitarguy56 likes this.

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 02-17-2014

guitarguy56 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
I spend about 1200 now on food for me and wife and kids. That generally includes beer and wine but not alcohol. Alcohol reduces the beer and wine budget. We do not eat out much at all. In essence, i think your food budget is too high for two adults.

However, your maintenance, mooring and insurance budget is wayyyyy too low. A slip in Marathon in season is a cool 1000 by itself, per month on a 40' boat. Key West is 2000/month plus about 240 in electric. Aren't going to stay a month? No prob, but then you are dumping a cool 150/night and in 7 marina stops/month you just hit 1k again.

My insurance is 250/month and i have very cheap insurance because i am grandfathered in. Those with less experience and equally priced boats might double that. If you go to the carrib, you will likely double that (my rate did).

My maintenance is anywhere from 40-500/month. My generator parts are very expensive and I shudder every time something breaks. I do ALL of my own work for many reasons, money being one of them but not the biggest.

In all fairness, most places north of here get less expensive, but places south and east get more expensive.

For those cruising on 500/month, i have no idea how. The numbers dont add up to me... On this coast. Prices are cheaper in the pnw, as i shared, but that is not a place i enjoyed outside of summer. But just my food, FOOD!, is nearly three times that. Add in alcohol and it is 3 times that. My maintenance could easily hit 500 on some months, and possibly more on a really bad month. For example, my tach went out and a new one is just over 250. My macerator went out last week and that was 200. My head treatment is 40/month by itself. So if nothing else goes wrong this month, i am at 500 with me doing everything myself. Balance in a air conditioner failure or major equipment failure and those numbers go out the door to many thousands. And, those things WILL go out with 24/7 use.
So CD... if you tallied up your costs for one month say in Key West or Key Biscayne... are you in the $4500-5000 a month club (more costs in the Caribbean) more or less and reduces as you come back up the east coast?

I'm curious as that is what my wife and I would like to do albeit on a smaller craft (32-35 ft), your numbers seem more realistic than some others here and I trust it as you've cruised it already.
Old 02-17-2014

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLOSECALL View Post
Yep. Pretty much, I imagine. Mine did.
This is why these threads rarely result in good answers. There is no general answer b/c it depends on each person's lifestyle, their boat, their choices, and what they consider needs vs wants.

It's the same as asking how much it costs to live on land -- it depends. It depends on where you live, the kind of house you have, your lifestyle choices, what your needs are, etc.

To answer the "how much does it cost" question I think you need to specify the general boat size, the location you're cruising in, the size of crew, their lifestyle needs, and likely a bunch more parameters I'm not thinking of right now. To borrow from fine literature, you need to know the ultimate question before you can understand the ultimate answer.
Old 02-17-2014

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about

Are we talking livaboard...at the dock...or cruising?
Brian, first thing you mentioned is marina fees. Most of us out cruising spend little time at marinas. Less than 15 days per year is quite easy most of the time for most of us. Mostly.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.