Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree136Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2014
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: $3000/mo cruising budget

Oh yeah, I should have mentioned that the Tayana blew its engine last summer. Cost? Just under $25,000 to replace. How do we factor that into our cruising budget?

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-18-2014
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Or do we just take that out as an anomaly?

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 02-18-2014

guitarguy56 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
KW Is a cool place. We like it, but we have kids and is not very kid friendly after dark. If we didnt have kids, we would spend more time there.
Yes it is... my parent in-laws have a condo at Pelican Key... so this was our honeymoon destination for a month... the Keys were my first taste of potato skins, conch fritters, and other delights, even though I lived in West Palm Beach for over 15 years at that time... I think the Keys have changed since the last time we have gone there (1978-1988) so much has changed not just there but all up the coast... we drove down last year to meet my parent in-laws as they live in Palm Beach Point so all the way it was a concrete jungle with few spots open... we drove A1A all the way down so we can go to Ron Jons' and visit friends on the Space Coast.
Old 02-18-2014

Quote:
Just so ya know, a macerator is the pump which empties your black water holding tank. It has NOTHING to do with a electric head.

No air conditioning eh? Spoken like someone who has never spent a month down here in the summer. You telling me I should not have air conditioning is like me telling you that you don't need a heater in winter... Right? Just put on a pair of socks and a jacket to keep warm. It is the same comparison. The heat down here is lethal and takes lives every year. As i said above, the winds are light and the humidity is hovering around 100%. It is very, very uncomfortable. Can you get used to it? Sure. But you will have many nights where you sleep soaking wet in sweat and are chewed up with mosquitos or noseeums.

Very, very few people down here go without ac. Those that do are pretty tough and have acclimated to it. Have you acclimated to it and can you as a cruiser?
It's tough to take in Savannah with the gnats (no seeums/mosquitos) not to mention the high humidity/high temps during the summer months... it's tough without air conditioning for sure much more further south...
Old 02-18-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Oh yeah, I should have mentioned that the Tayana blew its engine last summer. Cost? Just under $25,000 to replace. How do we factor that into our cruising budget?
I found a spare engine for my boat for $6000.

What's in that Tayana? Something like these?

Pair Yanmar 6LP 6LPA Ste STP 315HP Marine Diesel Engine Rebuilt Repower | eBay

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 02-18-2014
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Are you a fulltime cruiser and you never stayed at a slip in 6 years? Have you ever spent any time on those balls in Key West? They SUCK in the winter as they are wide open to the north, and in the summer, when our winds are light and the lows (LOWS) hit about 85, they are miserable. And have i mentioned the no-seeums that can fit through your screens? The typical screens do not stop No-seeums and while you can get the screens that do, they are so tight they shut down the air flow. If you sleep out in the cockpit as many try, you will wake up the next morning looking like you have measles and will be a piny low of blood. You will wake up soaking wet with sweat.

If that is ok with you, as it is with some, no problem. But I am curious how long that will last?
I have this wild plan of when I don't like my location due to weather or whatever and it goes on long enough, I move to somewhere else. Key West has always seemed to me to be a place to visit, then to leave.

I do have air conditioning on the boat. One of these days I'm going to find out if it works.

But CD if you really want to have some fun with your posts go over to the $500/mo thread and try to tell them how it can not done as they will go crazy on you.
Sal Paradise and robodd like this.

Last edited by Don0190; 02-18-2014 at 02:28 PM.
Old 02-18-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad
Just so ya know, a macerator is the pump which empties your black water holding tank. It has NOTHING to do with a electric head.
Well, there you go. We obviously have differently designed systems. My electric head has a built in macerator. I also have a macerator on the pump out for the holding tank, as well as for the pump out for the holding tank of the aft manual head (which does not have an integral macerator).

Once you take a few of these things apart, you learn that kind of thing.

And, I grew up in Mississippi and we're probably a little more heat and humidity tolerant that people from farther up north. I've got an air conditioner, and I've had them on other boats, too, but the boat I have now, is the first boat I ever had with one I could run anywhere but at the dock.

Believe me, if you don't have AC you learn pretty quick how to anchor to get the breeze and to avoid the no-see-ums.
guitarguy56 likes this.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico

Last edited by Group9; 02-18-2014 at 02:12 PM.
Old 02-18-2014

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about

Brian
most cruisers cruise. You might try getting out once in a while.

we do not use a watermaker. When we stop for fuel, the fuel docks always provide free water. In most of the harbors up north there is free access to a town dock with free water. We carry about 110 gallons of water and never come close to running out. We always shower aboard every 2 to 3 days.
Plenty of electricity from engine alternator, solar panels, wind gen and honda 2k when necessary. And we run a very large refrig.
we never use our aircon, no need to up north at anchor.
Old 02-18-2014

Huh? Many people in the Keys and southern parts of the South along with many Caribbean islands have no air conditioning... many have survived and are thriving to the dismay of those of us living in our little air conditioned/sit on our rear end watching TV worlds... they don't even think about it... I'm sure many before air conditioning was invented lived and cruised just fine and they continue to do so today... for those that have it great... for those that don't it's just one less worry...
MikeOReilly likes this.
Old 02-18-2014
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
I have this wild plan of when I don't like my location due to weather or whatever and it goes on long enough, I move to somewhere else. Key West has always seemed to me to be a place to visit, then to leave.

So do I. I move when i want. I dont want to so i make it work. That is cruising to me. We south floridians love it when you guys who are opposed to air conditioning sail north. The summer is the absolute best time down here but we generally keep that secret to ourselves. In summer, everything is green, you can dive or snorkel without a wet suit, the water clears up... But wait, I shouldn't have told you that, right? Because Maine is calling. Please ignore this post.
guitarguy56 likes this.

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook: