Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree204Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2014
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: $3000/mo cruising budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
I found a spare engine for my boat for $6000.

What's in that Tayana? Something like these?

Pair Yanmar 6LP 6LPA Ste STP 315HP Marine Diesel Engine Rebuilt Repower | eBay

The engine was circa 16k, it was the new 4jh4e. However, you have to redo the exhaust, intakes, mounts, you have cranes, pro installers, new prop alignments, and a month or two of yard time. 25 k. You want a receipt???

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-18-2014
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
. We south floridians love it when you guys who are opposed to air conditioning sail north.
Please show me where I said I was opposed to air conditioning? I grew up in the desert where it would be 110 and 90% humidly, sometimes the wind would blow and that just made it dusty out. Lighten up some.

If you weren't talking about me please quote someone else when doing your posts.
Old 02-18-2014
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Well, there you go. We obviously have differently designed systems. My electric head has a built in macerator. I also have a macerator on the pump out for the holding tank, as well as for the pump out for the holding tank of the aft manual head (which does not have an integral macerator).

Once you take a few of these things apart, you learn that kind of thing.

And, I grew up in Mississippi and we're probably a little more heat and humidity tolerant that people from farther up north. I've got an air conditioner, and I've had them on other boats, too, but the boat I have now, is the first boat I ever had with one I could run anywhere but at the dock.

Believe me, if you don't have AC you learn pretty quick how to anchor to get the breeze and to avoid the no-see-ums.

Yeah right. For some reason, I thought this thread was about reality instead of theory. Brother, boating and cruising is all i have done my adult life and had kids aboard damn near birth over thirteen years ago!

When a boater mentions a macerator pump, it is generally assumed the pump which dumps the crap out of your holding tank. My electric heads also have a macerator, but not all electric heads do (or did you know that???). It was the macerator on the black water tank which failed. The seal between the motor and the pump broke and was leaking crap water into the boat. That is an immediate break-fix unless you don't mind your boat smelling like an outhouse. If you are ok with that, fine.

I grew up in East Texas where 90 plus days over 100 were common and the asphalt melts and throws up on your car. I understand heat too. But i have zero interest in surviving on my boat. This is supposed to be fun, right? So when it is not fun we find a way and place to fix it. Even the die-hards down here that grew up down here have a problem with the heat. You want to come down here and sleep in your sweat and anchored out to save a buck... Fine. Maybe you should consider going back to the 500 thread? This is supposed to be about reality and fun. Come spend a decade down here anchored out and then you or anyone else can lecture me about not needing ac. I am 14 years cruising this coast and running and giving you guys reality instead of bs. You want BS, go read another thread.

I would also love to hear your wives comments about sleeping in your sweat for time on end. Lets see how that works out for ya. And my kids probably have more time offshore and cruising on a boat than everyone on the thread added up.

I thought this thread was about reality???? I have been up front that what i do and the costs and that may not be what everyone does, that is fine. I have no problem with that. But if you would rather me blow smoke and give you the party-line from the magazines, brokers, or those whose cruising has been in summed into months versus years, i can do that too. My point was to give you real costs and instead of a shred of appreciation, i get crap about not knowing what the hell i am doing when my kids know more about boating than probably everyone on this thread.

In fact, the more i think about it, all you rich guys cruising on more than $500 a month are unrealistic and need to read my newest fiction novel. It is called, "rich guys suck and you can cruise the world like a king on $500 if you know how to anchor out in the wind."

Best seller that. May not get a lot of buyers for the second edition though.
Sal Paradise likes this.

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 02-18-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
So do I. I move when i want. I dont want to so i make it work. That is cruising to me. We south floridians love it when you guys who are opposed to air conditioning sail north. The summer is the absolute best time down here but we generally keep that secret to ourselves. In summer, everything is green, you can dive or snorkel without a wet suit, the water clears up... But wait, I shouldn't have told you that, right? Because Maine is calling. Please ignore this post.
Wait a minute. I thought you were the one that said you had to have air conditioning?

I'm not opposed to A/C. Just don't tell me I can't live without it on the hook, because some people can't.

Heat and humidity are definitely something you can get used to (if that wasn't true, I would have missed out on one of the best jobs I ever had). If you couldn't I would have dropped dead working summers doing construction when in college. To me, the absolute worst thing you can do is go back and forth from air conditioning to outside heat. That's knowing that from living in a lot of hot places, including Miami.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 02-18-2014
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
Brian
most cruisers cruise. You might try getting out once in a while.

we do not use a watermaker. When we stop for fuel, the fuel docks always provide free water. In most of the harbors up north there is free access to a town dock with free water. We carry about 110 gallons of water and never come close to running out. We always shower aboard every 2 to 3 days.
Plenty of electricity from engine alternator, solar panels, wind gen and honda 2k when necessary. And we run a very large refrig.
we never use our aircon, no need to up north at anchor.

We have 4 aboard, not 2 as you well know. And as you well know from fb, we are sitting still in marathon because we have finally met a large group of kids and the boys love it here. Can i move on? Absolutely. Will I? Not yet. My kids love it here.

I have been very upfront about our circumstances. However, i dont agree with you on the water usage. But we will leave it at that. I gave this thread our reality which was quickly crapped on. So my newest line is that anyone who cannot cruise on $500/month has issues.

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 02-18-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
We have 4 aboard, not 2 as you well know. And as you well know from fb, we are sitting still in marathon because we have finally met a large group of kids and the boys love it here. Can i move on? Absolutely. Will I? Not yet. My kids love it here.

I have been very upfront about our circumstances. However, i dont agree with you on the water usage. But we will leave it at that. I gave this thread our reality which was quickly crapped on. So my newest line is that anyone who cannot cruise on $500/month has issues.
I have to admit that at this point, I am completely lost on whether you and I agree or disagree.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 02-18-2014
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road

Isn't this the $3000/mo thread? That is what it says at the top of my screen.
Old 02-18-2014
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:
Another point is listening to someone talk about how much air conditioning, or a macerator, can costs to repair, like every sailboat out there has air conditioning and electric heads.

This was the post i was referring to. If this was a tongue-in-cheek then please accept my apologies. I have not followed the 500 thread because it is absurd.

Down here, not every boat has ac. But those that do not have a hard time in the summer. I would love to poll them against wanting ac versus not. They live without it because they have no other choice.

If i offended you i apologize. I just saw this thread as a great opportunity to discuss how people cruise and reality versus some bs by those who have never done it or have not done it long. Jaysus, this is our lives. I am giving our real-world numbers. Suddenly i feel like all eyes are criticizing me and i feel like you guys are thinking we are rich. I have seen rich in my previous life. That ain't us. We are just a middle class family which has committed itself boating from the beginning. Not everyone will agree with us. Not everyone will do it as we have or should. But there are some things which we hold strong to from experience that I wish others would at least take into consideration versus dismissing out of hand.

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 02-18-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I would pay $500 per month just to avoid having to go to Key West. Been twice. Set a margarita record of some sort at Sloppy Joe's once. Never going back. Marathon sounds nice, will have to put that on my list. I've been to Key Largo (Ocean Reef club). You'll need $500 for dinner.
Sal Paradise likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-18-2014
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I would pay $500 per month just to avoid having to go to Key West. Been twice. Set a margarita record of some sort at Sloppy Joe's once. Never going back. Marathon sounds nice, will have to put that on my list. I've been to Key Largo (Ocean Reef club). You'll need $500 for dinner.

Hey Minne,

I love kw. The butterfly consortium is fabulous. I could walk the fort for hours. Incredible history (but not as good as the Tortugas). Hemingway, a stroll down the historic distric, and quite frankly, we have met some of tje nicest and most traveled cruisers in our life there. However, kw has a night life not conducive to kids. So it is not for us. If the schools didnt suck, we would buy a house there and base there. But... They are not great and we would have to private which we might anyways.

Kw by boat is a completely different experience. Hope you at least try it one day. A lot of fun. When you do, let me know. I will but the first round at Kevins.

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.