Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree201Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2014

outbound is on a distinguished road
Re: $3000/mo cruising budget

Brian- I for one really appreciate hearing your experience and slant on reality. You go man!!!. Still, wonder about the energy budget. I now know I can get by with no fuel use running everything including the entertainment systems without ever turning on an engine ( genset or other). I envisioned turning on the AC for 1-2h just before bed most days. Is this realistic in the Florida/Bahama/Caribe region? There's just two of us with occasional four aboard so figure water making will be limited to rarely occurring when outside U.S. waters. Don't mind slips but like not having neighbors at least most of the tme. Do you think its necessary to have more than one unit in a 40-50' boat for your region? How many BTUs of cooling make things livable?

Last edited by outbound; 02-18-2014 at 08:41 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-18-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

CD, the thing I disliked the most was going for a walk in the morning. We're early risers and like to head out for a walk, find coffee, whatever. I found it almost impossible not to stumble over beer bottles and drunks still sleeping it off on the street. Same both times I was there. Is that normal?

The night life was as you describe. Fun the first time, got old quickly the second time, no need to repeat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-18-2014

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
We have 4 aboard, not 2 as you well know. And as you well know from fb, we are sitting still in marathon because we have finally met a large group of kids and the boys love it here. Can i move on? Absolutely. Will I? Not yet. My kids love it here.

I have been very upfront about our circumstances. However, i dont agree with you on the water usage. But we will leave it at that. I gave this thread our reality which was quickly crapped on. So my newest line is that anyone who cannot cruise on $500/month has issues.
sorry about the tone, didnt come out the way I thought it would.
I still dont think a family of 4 would need a watermaker for coastal cruising. What is your tankage? We saw a half dozen kid boats anchored in Newport harbor this summer. If water access is what is keeping you tied to the dock, you need to rethink that. As I mentioned, there are plenty of town docks you can pull the boat up to and fill water tanks. In Newport they have a water float in the middle of the harbor. Free water.
Saw kid boats in the Bahamas where water is harder to come by but they were making do.

I jumped on this because you seemed to be inferring a boat with 4 people couldnt coastal cruise without suffering a water shortage. Again, between fuel stops where water is available, free town docks where water is available and an occasional stop at a marina where you can wash the boat and fill up...there is quite a bit of water accessable. If you're burning thru 50 gallons a day then you need to stay tied to the dock.

I think it is necesssry for people to differentiate between livaboard at the dock vs cruising. Big difference in lifestyles and costs
Group9 likes this.
Old 02-19-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I would pay $500 per month just to avoid having to go to Key West. Been twice. Set a margarita record of some sort at Sloppy Joe's once. Never going back. Marathon sounds nice, will have to put that on my list. I've been to Key Largo (Ocean Reef club). You'll need $500 for dinner.
That was my impression as well, when I lived and boated in Miami. I went a couple of times and despite a few nice tourist attractions, decided that what was going on there, just wasn't exactly my cup of tea. I really don't even think it's that great for boating.

Now, the rest of the Keys, are wonderful, as far as I'm concerned. On land, and on the water.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 02-19-2014
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

I love hearing about and learning from the experiences of guys who are out there doing it. For those of you posting real experience, do not think for a minute that I am critical of some detail or opinion. That pales in comparison, same thing with the quibbling. Its usually a misunderstanding. Know that I ( and I am sure many others) truly appreciate the sharing of information.

I have been to key west many times by land and I like it but my wife usualy has a melt down after a day or two because of all the tourist traffic and drunks. So we end up back at Lorelei in Islamorada. I think if we were on a boat she would get enough time for decompression. we could stay on the hook once in a while but I am thinking a marina slip would be best for her.

We will have somewhere between 3 - 4 k/ month to spend when we go. We will have to spend less then $100k for the boat. Probably closer to $50k. Cash. Depends on if we sell the house back here or keep it.

We will have free health insurance. With the boat paid for and $3k +/ month budget will I have to avoid and worry about such attractive tourist traps? If I have to get too stressed out about the money it won't be worth it.

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 02-19-2014 at 08:41 AM.
Old 02-19-2014
First String

ltgoshen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
I found a spare engine for my boat for $6000.
I put a 2GM20F in the east Coast Lady.
All together was 3,105.39
Great little engine. I did the work my self and saved a lot of money. Maintenance done by oneself saves quite a bit of crusing kitty.

Old 02-19-2014
First String

ltgoshen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post

Down here, not every boat has ac. But those that do not have a hard time in the summer. I would love to poll them against wanting ac versus not. They live without it because they have no other choice.
In 2018 2019 Deb and I are headed down south to kw. Do you think a generator will work to keep us cool in the hottest part of the day? Of is that not the efficient way to stay cool? the C&C 30 has only the basic stuff and with out a/c. So I need to way to keep her comfortable. Or is it better to stay north when its dead of summer? We will not have $3,000 a month to spend. in fact unless something changes, it looks like we will only have $1,200 to $1500 a month. so very little dock time will be in that price? I have a little Honda 2000 gen. We will keep our home in SC rented out while we are on our 5 year cruise.
LT

Last edited by ltgoshen; 02-19-2014 at 09:46 AM.
Old 02-19-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltgoshen View Post
Is 2018 2019 Deb and I are headed down south to kw. Do you think a generator will work to keep us cool in the hottest part of the day? Of is that not the efficient way to stay cool? the C&C 30 has only the basic stuff and with out a/c. So I need to way to keep her comfortable. Or is it better to stay north when its dead of summer? We will not have $3,000 a month to spend. in fact unless something changes, it looks like we will only have $1,200 to $1500 a month. so very little dock time will be in that price? I have a little Honda 2000 gen. We will keep our home in SC rented out while we are on our 5 year cruise.
LT
The best thing to keep a sailboat cool in the summer is shade. On my boat, I have awnings that cover it from the bow to the stern with a lot of overhang. I learned that back from boating in boats that didn't have generators.

I have two ACs and a 4.5 KW genset on my boat, and awnings, and I prefer the awnings. Awnings are the kind of thing you may not see on a boat on its first trip down south, but they usually will be there on the second trip (think how much nicer it is under your bimini, and then think about the whole boat being shaded). I have custom made ones now, but back in the day, I used to use those cheap blue plastic tarps (they didn't last but one season usually, but it was cheap to buy more).

I like being outdoors. I don't cruise to be shut up in a boat with the AC going all day. I can do that at home.

The big thing you have to prepare for, anywhere down south from June to September, when boating and living on the boat, is hurricanes. They don't come that often, but you don't want to be the guy with no idea of what to do, and no place to go, when one does show up. Hurricanes are really the only negative in the south in the summer for me.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 02-19-2014

Tallswede is on a distinguished road

I definately agree with the awnings! I use tarps when anchored on my boat and it really helps. Texas summers are really hot and getting in the water with some shade over you helps too. I look at those big catamarans and think to myself 'man, it would sure be nice to be floating under that bridge deck with a cool drink' at anchor. LOL

Kevin.
Old 02-22-2014
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
CD, the thing I disliked the most was going for a walk in the morning. We're early risers and like to head out for a walk, find coffee, whatever. I found it almost impossible not to stumble over beer bottles and drunks still sleeping it off on the street. Same both times I was there. Is that normal?

The night life was as you describe. Fun the first time, got old quickly the second time, no need to repeat.

Did you go by boat? Completely different. People are very friendly and helpful.

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.