Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree204Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2014
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: $3000/mo cruising budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I would pay $500 per month just to avoid having to go to Key West. Been twice. Set a margarita record of some sort at Sloppy Joe's once. Never going back. Marathon sounds nice, will have to put that on my list. I've been to Key Largo (Ocean Reef club). You'll need $500 for dinner.

Marathon is more our speed too. But i do like kw for what it is. Sorry u had a bad exp.

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-22-2014
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Brian- I for one really appreciate hearing your experience and slant on reality. You go man!!!. Still, wonder about the energy budget. I now know I can get by with no fuel use running everything including the entertainment systems without ever turning on an engine ( genset or other). I envisioned turning on the AC for 1-2h just before bed most days. Is this realistic in the Florida/Bahama/Caribe region? There's just two of us with occasional four aboard so figure water making will be limited to rarely occurring when outside U.S. waters. Don't mind slips but like not having neighbors at least most of the tme. Do you think its necessary to have more than one unit in a 40-50' boat for your region? How many BTUs of cooling make things livable?

Thanks. I appreciate that.

40 foot no teak decks is 20k btu in two units with biggest in bow because that gets hottest by many fold. Awnings help cut that by 30% or better.

50 is a solid 28 btu. Plan for two separate 30 amps. One 50 would work too.

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 02-22-2014
Best Looking MALE Mod

I will reply more later.

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 02-22-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
Did you go by boat? Completely different. People are very friendly and helpful.
Well, no. We arrived by private aircraft both times.

But, I don't get it. If I went for a walk in the morning from a boat, there wouldn't be drunks and bottles lying around? It's that environment that's old.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-22-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Well, no. We arrived by private aircraft both times.

But, I don't get it. If I went for a walk in the morning from a boat, there wouldn't be drunks and bottles lying around? It's that environment that's old.
To me, any time I want the Key West Experience on the cheap, I just get in my car and drive the 50 miles to New Orleans, Same thing as Key West, in a slightly different package.

Last time I was down there on my boat, I was heading to Key West, and then remembered at the last second that we would be arriving right as Fantasy Fest started. As exciting as that would be for many people, I turned the boat around and started heading back toward Marathon.

Obviously, though, lots of people like that kind of stuff.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 02-22-2014

jerryrlitton will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to jerryrlitton Send a message via MSN to jerryrlitton Send a message via Yahoo to jerryrlitton Send a message via Skype™ to jerryrlitton

Maybe we need to define cruising again.

I have read this thread and the 500USD/month thread quite thoroughly. On this one the rule seems to be find an expensive spot (whether it is a mooring or a slip) stay a month and pay for expensive bar tabs, restaurant food, perhaps pay for the dinghy dock, pump out, pay through the nose for gas for your 2kw gensets, for their plasma tv's Then whine about it. You may as well buy an Airstream trailer, hook up to your F250 and hang out at a KOA

The other guys, may spend 2-3 days somewhere where they restock on local food, meet local people, see things close to the boat and just relax. They cruise cruise perhaps 30-50 miles and do it again. WTH is a gen set anyway? Almost no diesel used because they actually sail. May not be as fast or convenient but if the wind is not blowing they hang out a bit longer, doing those sailing chores such as whipping line, sewing sails, lugging empty water containers to the dinghy so you can refill the main tanks on the boat.

At the end of the month the 3000usd/month guys will have run gallons of fuel through the lines, may or may not have taken the sail covers off and have seen the latest movies on blue ray.

The 500usd/month guys have perhaps torn a stitch on the sails, went over the side to clean the prop, made a lot of friends on shore, and tried some new foods and beer. Not to mention better cruising/sailing stories. (its all about the stories)

Just a matter of priorities eh?

Jerry
Group9, christian.hess and trakker like this.

A Kings Trade
Dewey Lamdin

Money canít buy you happiness.
But it buys you a big enough yacht to
sail you right up to it!
(Johnny Depp)

Last edited by jerryrlitton; 02-22-2014 at 09:22 PM.
Old 02-22-2014
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road

I'm sure everyone thanks you for the insulting assumptions
jerryrlitton likes this.
Old 02-22-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
I'm sure everyone thanks you for the insulting assumptions
I find the $500 versus $3000 thread battle amusing, to be honest.

And, like many people here, I imagine, I've had $500 months when cruising, and $3000 (and worse) months when cruising.
MikeOReilly and guitarguy56 like this.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 02-22-2014
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

Enjoying the thread. Some musing to share...

We are on the boat all summer, but it's much farther north. We have a 12v fan over each berth, which does the trick. As everyone knows, when on a hook, the boat is always pointed into the wind. There is nothing like a cool breese from a hatch that's open 45 degrees, deflecting the clean fresh wind onto your face. I have a cord going up to the hatch to pull it closed if it rains. Just got a stick for re-opening it, but haven't used it yet. Now that's good sleeping.

If I get A/C, it will be to keep the boat dryer and the humidity lower. No need to be much cooler here. And I'll take the big air space over the headliner boards and put some "next generation" insulation up there. I'm a huge believer in insulation. Insulation gives you options.

I do wonder if there's a way to do A/C on the hook. Maybe that big wonderful awning (as mentioned above) could be a big flexible solar panel. Then just run the A/C during the day. I'm pretty sure cycling the batteries every night to run an A/C would quickly turn them into bricks. I just bought a household de-humidifier for the boat, that runs at about 268 watts. With 500 watts of solar, I could run that for a while each day.

One of the major costs of our "fine dining" is aluminum foil. It's amazing how much you use when cooking for family and friends over the coals of a beach fire. For potatos, wrap them like a tootsie-roll. First wrap one end then put a handful of clean seawater in, then close the other side. They end up perfectly salted.

Burgers are easy. Open the foil to add cheese, but watch for igniting the bit of captured grease. We call these burgers "Falcon burgers" since we started doing it when we met up with Falcon Riley (of "Education of a Falcon" fame). It is (and he is) everyone's favorite.

Not sure we could get away with these cookouts at an anchorage down in the keys, on those skinny beaches. I'm thinking it's one of the reasons why it costs more to anchor where there are a lot of people, where others park their cars. ...and that cruising on a bigger budget lets you be closer to 1st world civilization, with A/C, hospitals, stores, professional entertainment.

It's winter. Can't wait 'til summer.

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing. I don't know why. It's a mystery!

Last edited by Bene505; 02-22-2014 at 10:56 PM.
Old 02-23-2014
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

This thread is sort of inching towards a point I wanted to make;

Rather than ask " How much does it cost to cruise?" Ask-

What does $3000/ month look like where I want to go? What does this budget get me?

Then a local or someone with experience could fill you in. For instance, where I am on the Hudson we get a lot of cruising boats, almost all of them well off middle class to super rich.

For $3000/month in the summer you could stay in a marina with showers, a pool, restaurant --a true full service country club with picnic tables... ect..plus you could eat out twice a week, and take the train into NYC once or twice a month for sight seeing and have money left over for beer. You would find friendly people barbecuing and drinking in the evenings and bands playing. And a laundry right there for you. You could sail in the "bays" which are the wider parts of the river, about 1-2 miles across. There are usually racing clubs you could probably crew with. You could rent a car to get up into the mountains to hike or just see the countryside and shop for cheap food and supplies. There are lots of farm stands . But you'd spend every penny of that $3k doing it.

For $500 a month, you'd probably be anchored on the river some place you could hitch hike or walk down the railroad tracks to a convenience store to get overpriced groceries and maybe a case of cheap beer. Some locals might look upon you suspiciously if you anchor too often in front of their property. In my younger days we'd anchor anywhere and I remember one little wooded beach where a homeowner had his German Sheppard chase us off. If you come ashore in one of those odd places you had better be smiling and cheerful and try to make friends. People are shallow so it would really help if you looked good in a bikini. And because you anchored out a lot, the 57 varieties of local cops plus the CG would all get to know you - one at a time, one way or another. If you were legal, most of them would be polite about it. The jokes about how your boat smelled or how you flushed your toilet would influence how you were treated. Laundry would be sketchy. Its possible at a few marinas to base your dingy cheaply and moor the boat but that might cost you more than you can afford.

Did I paint you two different pictures of the same place? Which one feels like your thing?

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 02-23-2014 at 09:47 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sal Paradise For This Useful Post:
The Smokester (03-10-2014)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.