Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree136Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2014
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: $3000/mo cruising budget

Just once, and not for long. Five thousand of my new best friends were having a flash mob from the cruise ships.

What's that got to do with how and whether it has changed in the past decade? Everyplace changes. Especially when it goes from "way out there" to flash mobs.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-24-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Just once, and not for long. Five thousand of my new best friends were having a flash mob from the cruise ships.

What's that got to do with how and whether it has changed in the past decade? Everyplace changes. Especially when it goes from "way out there" to flash mobs.
How would you know if it's changed if you've only seen it one time?

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 02-24-2014
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Perhaps I have spies everywhere? And a webcam in your...Oh wait, you're not supposed to know about that one. (VBG)

I've got a long list of places that used to be open fields and now are full of tract housing. You think I need to go there to confirm there's been a change?
Old 02-24-2014
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy56 View Post
So with your $3000/month budget on your C22... that should go a long way right? It's good you stay on this thread rather than the $500/month thread since on your small yacht you'll be welcomed anywhere you go... right?
I was illustrating a point about what $3000/ month would buy on the Hudson. What is your point?

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 02-24-2014 at 08:25 PM.
Old 02-24-2014

guitarguy56 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
I was illustrating a point about what $3000/ month would buy on the Hudson. What is your point?
I was also illustrating a point as well... you quote that the guys voyaging on $500 would be met with criticism and malice anywhere they go but many are voyaging on vessels much larger and therefore taken as more a 'yacht' in the eyes of the so call CG and country bumpkin cops as you so mentioned... compared to the guys with little 20-22 foot boats talking about their plans... I merely mentioned if you have $3000/month to spend on your 22 foot boat... great! You get to enjoy the many benefits on the Hudson/local areas... but I doubt you'll be in the Keys or sailing the Caribbean/South Seas even if you did sail with $3000/month as many on the other thread plan to do.

Just sayin'...
Old 02-25-2014
Captain Obvious

I would really like to see a quote of me saying that " guys voyaging on $500 will be met with criticism and malice anywhere they go" . That doesn't sound like me. I never said that and I don't believe that. Nor do I look down on anyone, even if they have a small boat or small budget right now -- but that seems to me what you are doing. Now let's just go back to ignoring each other.

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 02-25-2014 at 10:04 AM.
Old 02-25-2014

Quote:
I would really like to see a quote of me saying that " guys voyaging on $500 will be met with criticism and malice anywhere they go" . That doesn't sound like me. I never said that and I don't believe that. Nor do I look down on anyone, even if they have a small boat or small budget right now -- but that seems to me what you are doing. Now let's just go back to ignoring each other.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise
For $500 a month, you'd probably be anchored on the river some place you could hitch hike or walk down the railroad tracks to a convenience store to get overpriced groceries and maybe a case of cheap beer. Some locals might look upon you suspiciously if you anchor too often in front of their property. In my younger days we'd anchor anywhere and I remember one little wooded beach where a homeowner had his German Sheppard chase us off. If you come ashore in one of those odd places you had better be smiling and cheerful and try to make friends. People are shallow so it would really help if you looked good in a bikini. And because you anchored out a lot, the 57 varieties of local cops plus the CG would all get to know you - one at a time, one way or another. If you were legal, most of them would be polite about it. The jokes about how your boat smelled or how you flushed your toilet would influence how you were treated. Laundry would be sketchy. Its possible at a few marinas to base your dingy cheaply and moor the boat but that might cost you more than you can afford.

Seems to me you've forgotten your own post? Ignoring each other has nothing to do with this... If you say it live up to it!
Old 02-25-2014
Captain Obvious

You left out where I wrote -"For instance, where I am on the Hudson.."

That is just a realistic description of one specific area - The Hudson River. It is based on my many years of knowledge of the Hudson. No place did I say "anywhere you go" or "malice" and I did not criticise anyone.I am 100% in support of cheap adventure.

Am I wrong - about the Hudson? Then correct me. As for my little C22 - this is't the only boat I or my family have ever owned. But you with your 25 foot boat! What is THAT like? You must have all the insight.I look forward to the benefit of your superior knowledge.

Or ignoring you.

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 02-25-2014 at 12:49 PM.
Old 02-25-2014

Quote:
You left out where I wrote -"For instance, where I am on the Hudson.."

That is just a realistic description of one specific area - The Hudson River. It is based on my many years of knowledge of the Hudson. No place did I say "anywhere you go" or "malice" and I did not criticise anyone.I am 100% in support of cheap adventure. I look forward to the benefit of your superior knowledge. Am I wrong - about the Hudson?
I guess my superior knowledge doesn't apply since I don't plan on sailing the Hudson and I imagine many others... but you seem to be the expert... I read some of your responses both here and on the chat forum... you're in no support of the $500/month thread!

Quote:
As for my little C22 - this is't the only boat I or my family have ever owned. But you with your 25 foot boat!
I don't know I guess size matters... but you probably know that right!

Let's just agree to disagree...doesn't make sense to continue ranting on this... many don't plan to travel up the Hudson on their way down to the Keys or Bahamas.

PS... I see you edit your responses while I post mine.... My experience every weekend on Puget Sound sailing all the way from Everett to Seattle, Union Bay, Lake Washington, Port Townsend, San Juan's, etc... Yeah... all great and it's done with a working marine head (you know the water flush type) something I'm sure you don't have on a C22... maybe the Hudson cops and CG need to look at your potty holding bucket... best to do as you wish!

Last edited by guitarguy56; 02-25-2014 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-26-2014

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

Would it be possible to anchor in the Hudson river, dinghy to shore and find a pastrami on Rye? Maybe catch a subway to Yankee field and watch an afternoon game? If so, then it might just be paradise.... As long as the Mariners win!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.