LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2014

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road
Re: $3000/mo cruising budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
found another actual costs from cruisers who keep track of them

Expenses
Thanks Don. Interesting. An overall monthly average of $2,767, with a low of $957 and a high of $8,893. Looks like they a healthy middle-aged couple who cruised the Caribbean for about seven years on an older, fairly traditional, 44 foot boat. Good to know.

Of course, this is just one data point. To make this truly useful (statistically significant) you need to know how many similar cruisers with similar boat size and type, similar crew compliment, similar cruising grounds, similar lifestyles, etc... were cruising at that time. You'd then need to collect similar datasets. Only then can you start to draw any general conclusions.

... but interesting none the less. Thanks.

Actually, since you're so driven for hard data, why don't you make this your mission? I, for one, would value a statistically valid analysis.
guitarguy56 likes this.

Last edited by MikeOReilly; 02-28-2014 at 04:29 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-28-2014

guitarguy56 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
Thanks Don. Interesting. An overall monthly average of $2,767, with a low of $957 and a high of $8,893. Looks like they a healthy middle-aged couple who cruised the Caribbean for about seven years on an older, fairly traditional, 44 foot boat. Good to know.

Of course, this is just one data point. To make this truly useful (statistically significant) you need to know how many similar cruisers with similar boat size and type, similar crew compliment, similar cruising grounds, similar lifestyles, etc... were cruising at that time. You'd then need to collect similar datasets. Only then can you start to draw any general conclusions.

... but interesting none the less. Thanks.

Actually, since you're so driven for hard data, why don't you make this tour mission? I, for one, would value a statistically valid analysis.
Correct Mike... each boat size and requirements would have different cruising budgets...

Here is another one Retirees Sail the Caribbean for 8 Years On a $1,000-Per-Month Budget
Old 02-28-2014
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy56 View Post

Yes. Now go find one with a cost breakdown like the ones I've posted (more than just one) so we can see what is included in the dollar amount because as we have seen what people include in their reported costs varies greatly.

I would love to be able to believe that the budget amount I had in mind 6 years ago works.
Old 02-28-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
Yes. Now go find one with a cost breakdown like the ones I've posted (more than just one) so we can see what is included in the dollar amount because as we have seen what people include in their reported costs varies greatly.

I would love to be able to believe that the budget amount I had in mind 6 years ago works.
Don I agree... I tried getting into the budget they used but it's a link that wants to have you register on their site and I didn't have time to do that but it would be interesting how they're doing it.

Regarding this budget you posted I could see where someone with a smaller boat and an outboard would not need the huge fuel bill which incidentally drops part of the maintenance cost, having a smaller boat from 44 foot to 25-30 foot would drop significantly the slip/mooring cost per month, if you have medical that is sponsored by Medicare, VA , or other plan that would drop from that budget, other than what I see it's save a little there or spend a little more there... so as I mentioned in the above post it depends on the size of the vessel and how each plans to spend the money. Another thought is on the food costs are they including beer/alcohol in that because for those of us that do not have a need for beer/alcohol I could see that dropped by $50/week or $200/month?

We actually need someone with a vessel of the size I mentioned to do an actual budget while cruising... it's the only way to get better numbers.
MikeOReilly likes this.
Old 02-28-2014

Just for giggles here... I took the May budget and put in my numbers as I have currently... the dock fee costs are what they are for me now... it may be different during a future voyage... the medical is what my wife and I pay currently a month as the rest is sponsored. So you can see that by having a smaller boat you have less costs and they are the same style living as the person whose budget they posted... compare to the April budget which is theirs.

The Following User Says Thank You to guitarguy56 For This Useful Post:
MikeOReilly (02-28-2014)
Old 02-28-2014

bpgoll is on a distinguished road

I own my boat, too and our medical is only $440 a month with boat insurance around $150 per month. I think we would have done fine on $3000 a month if we just spent more time on the hook and didn't fly home so much.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-03-2014

outbound is on a distinguished road

This remains a very productive thread. In catching up on posts and due to recent experiences I note one of the key variables is how you cruise. Even in the sub set of east coast snow birders there seems to be further subsets.
Some go up and down from George town
Some go up and down from N.E. or mid Atlantic to eastern Caribe.
Some bring the boat down and use a mooring with management contract and fly up and down keeping a residence on land or pay for land storage and use a northern land rental up north during hurricane season.
With each land costs go up and boat costs go down or vice a versa.
With each boat costs vary depending on miles traveled.
The thread title included the word cruising. To me cruising means traveling not stationary live aboard in a different place. It would be helpful in understanding people's posts if they defined miles traveled and cruising ground.
Yofy and MarkofSeaLife like this.

Last edited by outbound; 03-03-2014 at 11:17 AM.
Old 03-03-2014
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
To me cruising means traveling not stationary live aboard in a different place. It would be helpful in understanding people's posts if they defined miles traveled and cruising ground.
Maybe the title ought to be "Cruising on $1,500/month and $1/mile".

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing, anchors, batteries, rode length, fridge-or-not, freezer-or-not, and guns-on-board. I don't know why. It's a mystery!
Old 03-04-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
The thread title included the word cruising. To me cruising means traveling not stationary live aboard in a different place. It would be helpful in understanding people's posts if they defined miles traveled and cruising ground.
Agree completely, and that's the primary reason why I found some of the stuff in the "Voyaging on $500/month" thread at least verging on the semi-delusional... :-)

Going places, actually using the boat full-time, costs money... In my observation, one of the biggest factors that people embarking on full time "voyaging" for the first time tend to underestimate, is the greatly increased wear and tear on a boat suddenly being used all the time, and the amount of time (and consequently, money) spent "fixing their boats in exotic locations"... I think many people grossly underestimate the costs of maintenance, or tend to attempt to defer them as long as possible. (Which of course can lead to bigger problems, and wind up costing more, in the long run) It can wear a lot of folks down pretty quickly, and I think it's definitely one of the primary reason why many quit the fulltime cruising life sooner, rather than later... Also, one of the most compelling arguments for avoiding complexity, and keeping things as simple as possible - within reason, of course...

Pretty good post from SAILFEED, regarding the maintenance costs on a couple out there on a Stevens 47... To someone sailing a modest boat like mine, these numbers certainly give pause to the notion of 'stepping up' to a comparable boat, to say the least... :-)

Cruising costs, routine maintenance, and the 10% (15%, 20%) rule | Sailfeed

The cost of cruising: Totem?s maintenance list | Sailfeed
copacabana and Don0190 like this.

Last edited by JonEisberg; 03-04-2014 at 01:12 AM.
Old 03-04-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpgoll View Post
I own my boat, too and our medical is only $440 a month with boat insurance around $150 per month. I think we would have done fine on $3000 a month if we just spent more time on the hook and didn't fly home so much.
My medical is almost exactly the same and I had the take on my cruise. Marinas and airlines at least doubled our spending. We averaged a $1000 a month, just on airfare.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico