Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree204Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2014

findrichard is on a distinguished road
Re: $3000/mo cruising budget

Faster, I thought you might do that, after all the truth has been suppressed for thousands of years. Why not start a theological thread and see if there is any interest among the sailing community?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-10-2014
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by findrichard View Post
Faster, I thought you might do that, after all the truth has been suppressed for thousands of years. Why not start a theological thread and see if there is any interest among the sailing community?
No one is suppressing anything. You can discuss religion all you want in the Off Topic forum section that was created for it.
MikeOReilly likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 03-10-2014

Thank you for moving my posts to the off-topic forum.
Old 03-10-2014
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Carry on with the big spending!!

Big spending

For the most part based on all the cruiser blogs I have read with cost info the $3k/mo is frugal spending!
Old 03-10-2014

I bet some engineer type could figure out a boat expense budget based on dollar per foot per day in use and then index it to inflation.
Old 03-10-2014
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by findrichard View Post
Thank you for moving my posts to the off-topic forum.
FR... I didn't move anything - took them out of view. If you want to start a thread/discussion on that topic feel free to take it to the PRWG section of "Off Topic".

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-10-2014

outbound is on a distinguished road

BWS did an article about satphones this month. My only experience to date is with Globalstar used briefly for gribs. Wonder if anyone has real time experience of the three main players and true expense over a year of snow birding on east coast. Also any recommendations would be appreciated. Tx.
Old 03-10-2014
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
BWS did an article about satphones this month. My only experience to date is with Globalstar used briefly for gribs. Wonder if anyone has real time experience of the three main players and true expense over a year of snow birding on east coast. Also any recommendations would be appreciated. Tx.

I would like to read the responses, but I would think you would get better response as a new thread instead of just from people following this one.
Old 03-10-2014
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
Big spending

For the most part based on all the cruiser blogs I have read with cost info the $3k/mo is frugal spending!
As has been discussed numerous times, cruising means one thing to some people and something else to someone else, but if I think of all the people we have met in the last few years from the BVI to Vanuatu, the budgets for most people, including ourselves, is substantially less than $3000 a month. If I had to pick a median I would guess more like $1800, but these are handy people rarely going near a marina unless there is no choice (most of South Africa for example) Boats are generally from 37' to 50'.
Back to Grenada in early December. Not sure I will remember how to sail. Will spend the winter and early spring in the Caribbean and then head to Bermuda and the northeast US. Still trying to decide if we will bring the boat to Canada, either in 2015 or 2016.
Old 03-11-2014

Thanks Killarney. Please correct my facts and assumptions in this calculation: A 45 foot boat with crew of two on a 3 year circumnavigation averaged about $1,800 a month.

$1,800/45 ft. = $40 per foot per year. $40/365 days = $1.33 per day per foot for a crew of 2. I am assuming this includes food costs which doesn't change with the size of the boat but that should be easy enough to extrapolate. So for example, my wife and I am planning a 3 month cruse up the east coast of the US in a 35 foot sailboat:

90 days X 35 feet X $1.33 = $4,189 add a little more for food & fun and toss the dock lines.

I am sure this idea can be refined with more information, but this is based on actual and recent costs covering all circumstances for an extended period of time. It will be interesting and helpful to know what costs will be necessary to get the boat ready for another 3 year circumnavigation (not implying you are planning such an event). It would also be helpful to know what percentage of the $1,800 per month figure was consumed by the boat and what percent by governmental requirements.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.