Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree197Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2014

outbound is on a distinguished road
Re: $3000/mo cruising budget

Are the rules the same with big difference under/over 50' true LOA now the new canal is open?
Old 03-11-2014
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by findrichard View Post
Wow, refit costs are much less than I would have thought. That is encouraging. I have always thought sails and running rigging were only good for about 5 years of constant use and standing rigging was ready for replacement every 10 years of constant use.
You don't sail around the world and then refit. You take advantage of opportunities when you see them. For example, we replaced our wire/rope main halyards in South Africa because the local rope manufacturer (Southern Ropes) had a terrific price on Dyneema.

I think from your questions you are looking for really clear, exact answers for things like budgeting. It does not work that way. We are all different and and our boats are all different. If you have an older diesel (ours is 1990 and 4000 hours) it can be working just fine one day and need a rebuild the next - or it might be fine for five more years - how do you build things like that into the budget. We travelled fairly cheaply (probably $1500 a month) but we have a good nest-egg available if we have a costly repair or want to head off for a couple of weeks in New Zealand or South Africa. Everyone's mileage will vary.
MikeOReilly and DHusk like this.
Old 03-11-2014
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

Panama answers:
We were there in 2010 so things may have changed. To be clear, there are two gets of costs: the Canal and the country.
Canal - You can check online to see the charges. What can really boost these are the extra things you can spend money on, like using an agent, hiring line handlers, lines and fenders. These can easily cost as much as what the canal charges. We did everything DIY and our total costs (including buying a cell phone and time) were about $15 beyond the canal fee.
They do measure your boat and if there is any way to get under 50 feet (counting everything that sticks out) it is well worth the effort. Our 45 footer measured 48.5 because of the anchor roller and Monitor vane (with the blade down for the measure; with it up it would have been more and very close to 50). We had friends with a 44' cat who removed their sprit. Removing davits would be a great idea if you are close.

- Country: It is not one charge, but they hit you for everything and at every opportunity. There are officials for immigration, health, port captains, biosecurity (I know I am missing some). After we did the canal we went to fuel up at the marina in Balboa and three more officials showed up. It was $30 for this and $75 for that. They all went out of their way to say how it could be more but they were being nice to you. I loved the Latin American countries we visited but the officials are a PITA.
Old 03-11-2014

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

so what was it for the boat and you and your crew?

back in 2000 it was about 150 for boat and another 100 per crew or so...

Im not talking canal...just entering panama

interested cause Im planning to go there again sometime this year

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Islander 36 refit still going on...

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-11-2014
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

That was for boat and two of us. We entered in the San Blas and then went to Colon. Went back to the office in the San Blas to check out because you have to check in and out in each district. The port captain wrote something on our entry permit and signed an stamped it - no charge. When we got to Colon we were fined for not having the proper exit permit from San Blas. Turns out the fine was less than the cost of the exit permit (fine was $25 and permit was $30). Later on we got in trouble because we did not have 'mariners' visas'. No one when we checked in in the San Blas or in Colon mentioned this but it became a big issue in Balboa. Don't know if there is a way around this, but it just goes to show that not everyone gets the same treatment in the same ports at (almost) the same time.
Old 03-11-2014

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

well thats 100 percent true

we went up the pacific from perlas...simple enough back then, in fact pretty lax as I stayed with the boat even overtsayed my visa and crew left for the states and came back a year later...we left with same boat...

it was not expensive at the time and the canal all said and done after refund of deposit was around 800 for a 30 footer

heard that went way up a few years ago too

bummer
anywhoo

Islander 36 refit still going on...

Old 03-11-2014
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
well thats 100 percent true

we went up the pacific from perlas...simple enough back then, in fact pretty lax as I stayed with the boat even overtsayed my visa and crew left for the states and came back a year later...we left with same boat...

it was not expensive at the time and the canal all said and done after refund of deposit was around 800 for a 30 footer

heard that went way up a few years ago too

bummer
anywhoo
Our cost for the canal was not much more than that. The cost increase for >50' was huge; not so bad below.but still an increase.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
Determining a cruising budget and trying to find out if it will work seems like one of the most important parts of cruising, yet is one of the hardest to find any answers on. Before I got into sailing I spent 2 years researching the cost issues and in the end kind of just gave up and placed myself on a path to cruising anyway.

The question frequently becomes all jammed up with "it depends" and "it costs whatever you can afford to spend" answers. Which are true, but of little value for planning. Planning becomes even more important for those not so young when the decision to stop working and go cruising equals an end to a career and little chance of returning to work at anywhere near the level they were when they sailed off. The goal becomes balancing leaving while young enough to get the most of of cruising, while working long enough to not run out of money.

But I'm becoming more and more job burnt out and more and more caught in the dream, so find myself looking for the answer. To do it I spend lots of time reading though blogs looking for what people are spending and comparing it to what they are doing. I read things like the "Interview with a Cruiser Project", waste my time on the various forums, and just plain taking a guess based on what it costs me to live on land and maintain my boat now and have a budget in mind.

The budget I'm currently planning for is $3000/mo, which has to cover basically everything. Now this isn't a down and dirty budget, and it isn't a live high budget. But it is expected to be a comfortable budget that allows sightseeing and not eating out of a can budget. And as an average amount is one that I could cruise on till I no longer an able (that $3000/mo, $36,000/yr budget becomes $52,500 when I'm 75 at 2% inflation).

If you are in the cruise for $500/mo group this isn't a thread for you. But if you are in a similar position for cruising on $3000/mo I would love to see comments on what you expect this to mean far as your cruising plans.

Just as poke as to what this thread was about before it went off the rails.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Group9 is on a distinguished road

This subject really is only tangentially about cruising. It's more about who a particular person is, and what their necessary lifestyle is. After reading so many of these posts, it really starts to dawn on you, that just as many people have very different opinions on what level lifestyle constitutes minimum, adequate, and luxurious on land, many people have very different opinions on what constitutes these lifestyles while cruising.

I again think about how I lived in college and when first starting out, on very little money, and then how I lived when more money became available. It's easy to get the (erroneous, in my opinion) idea that you have to have a certain level of increasing money to remain happy throughout life.

I really want to get back to the basics and what made me happy when I didn't have any money. I've taken a few cruise ship vacations, and there wasn't one single port we went to that I didn't wish I was on a sailboat, any sailboat, and anchored there, instead of cruising there in the lap of luxury.

My last cruising partner didn't see it that way, and we spent an obscene amount of money on marinas and air fare going back home to vistit, in the year we cruised that still pisses me off (we could have stayed twice or three times as long if we had spent more time on the hook, and less time flying back for unnecessary trips) My wife and I just flew to Key West a couple of months ago for a week, and I pointed out to her that for what it cost us in air fare and hotel rooms, we could have spent a couple of months there on our boat. She is like a lot of people. She wants to go, but is really scared for us to cut the lines and go, and comes up with one hurdle after another that must be jumped before we can go.

You either want the cruising lifestyle, or you don't. And, if you want it, you will find a way to make it work on the money you have. I think that has been proven over and over again by the people who have done it.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 4 Weeks Ago
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=Group9;2118961]

I really want to get back to the basics and what made me happy when I didn't have any money. /QUOTE]

So quit your job (if you have one) and give all your money and stuff away.

What is stopping you?