Like Tree204Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road
Re: $3000/mo cruising budget

[quote=Don0190;2119737]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post

I really want to get back to the basics and what made me happy when I didn't have any money. /QUOTE]

So quit your job (if you have one) and give all your money and stuff away.

What is stopping you?
Too many people who depend on me for a living right now who I don't want to hurt. I'm trying to change that.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-23-2014

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

This is not a large enough sample size, but I've been cruising the Great Lakes for 44 days now. I've have two engine problems that have demanded mechanic help and dock time. I've spent some time visiting towns and restaurants, but mostly anchored and enjoyed the life. With all this, and considering that we're passing through some of the most expensive cruising zones, I can't imagine how I would spend $3000 per month. I think $1200 is pushing it.

Why go fast, when you can go slow
DHusk likes this.
Old 08-25-2014
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road

thread killed again by a "low end" post, of course 44 days definitely isn't any real data to use as a benchmark

The real difference between the $1500/mo and the $3000/mo cruiser is that in the $3000/mo cruisers budget there isn't a bunch of "it depends","not counting", and "the budget doesn't include" items.

Last edited by Don0190; 08-25-2014 at 06:20 PM.
Old 08-25-2014

jerryrlitton will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to jerryrlitton Send a message via MSN to jerryrlitton Send a message via Yahoo to jerryrlitton Send a message via Skype™ to jerryrlitton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
thread killed again by a "low end" post, of course 44 days definitely isn't any real data to use as a benchmark

The real difference between the $1500/mo and the $3000/mo cruiser is that in the $3000/mo cruisers budget there isn't a bunch of "it depends","not counting", and "the budget doesn't include" items.
I don't think Mike was trying to be a "benchmark". He was just relating his experience concerning this thread. Between you and I there will always be people who will do just fine on 500 USD a month and others who will complain and cannot make do with 15,000. You met them, I met them, we all met them. What do you consider a proper "benchmark" anyway? It is all a matter of perspective and we all have different perspectives.

Jerry
newhaul, Group9 and paikea like this.

A Kings Trade
Dewey Lamdin

Money canít buy you happiness.
But it buys you a big enough yacht to
sail you right up to it!
(Johnny Depp)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jerryrlitton; 08-25-2014 at 06:35 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to jerryrlitton For This Useful Post:
MikeOReilly (08-26-2014)
Old 08-25-2014
just ducky

[QUOTE=jerryrlitton;2127993 What do you consider a proper "benchmark" anyway?[/QUOTE]

A couple of years worth of itemized expenses while cruising, with no money left out for "it depends", "budget doesn't include x".

The lowest once I have ever come across that meets this benchmark ended up around $1500/mo.

PS - I bet age is a factor, I bet there are less older low end cruisers. You can find lots of camping on a boat stories from people when they were in their 20s.
Old 08-26-2014

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

So Don0190, what keeps you from getting out and cruising on your 3000 a month? Your miserable in your job? Go. I don't think the 3000 will be enough for you anyway. Maybe time to walk the talk.? Plenty of folks doing it on all kinds of budgets.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 08-26-2014

jerryrlitton will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to jerryrlitton Send a message via MSN to jerryrlitton Send a message via Yahoo to jerryrlitton Send a message via Skype™ to jerryrlitton

I think both of these threads are saying pretty much the same thing. There is no magic amount of monthly income to cover all of the variables. (But of course some amounts are more magic than others) I think most of the examples of both of the threads are gentle kicks in the butt to individuals who are waiting for some magic number to aspire to, now they can tell themselves "now, I reached it, now I may go". A little shot of confidence if you will. I can relate to that. As you know I am in Nigeria, not exactly a garden spot however I can see retirement right around the corner. I want it to come. I am done. It is there, attainable but some of us are doing the howmuchwillineedtocoverthebases dance. Just a touch nervous. But if we can see him doing it (retire) her doing it, that may be all of the kick in the butt we need. I figure June of 15 I will be done with contract flying. I will be 57, nobody knows how many breaths we have left. I will keep you posted. Phuket, Krabbi, Ko Jun here I come....in the meantime a cup of coffee and time to go flying.
Jerry
Capt Len likes this.

A Kings Trade
Dewey Lamdin

Money canít buy you happiness.
But it buys you a big enough yacht to
sail you right up to it!
(Johnny Depp)

Last edited by jerryrlitton; 08-26-2014 at 02:48 AM.
Old 08-26-2014

Omatako will become famous soon enough

A cruising budget is easy to establish.

It's $300 in January - still got lots of stuff left after Xmas
It's $55 in February, that's how much fuel it took for the month's sailing to and around that island group.
It's $3000 in March - the supermarkets and diesel are really inexpensive here so we've stocked up on all our supplies.
It's $0 in April - see March above.
It's $350 in May - see March above and wife's birthday with a dinner on the town + gift.
It's $3800 in June - the genoa started falling apart, needed replacing
July, August, September - $0 - spent the time lazing around the Tuamotus fishing, diving, swimming, reading, baking, a little fixing, doing the things that cruisers do.

Oh, you're looking for an average? Sorry, can't help you there.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 08-26-2014
just ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post
So Don0190, what keeps you from getting out and cruising on your 3000 a month? Your miserable in your job? Go. I don't think the 3000 will be enough for you anyway. Maybe time to walk the talk.? Plenty of folks doing it on all kinds of budgets.
The why, because I don't have enough saved yet to make the money last! Especially if I expect my wife to agree to come along along, which unlike many I do because her thoughts and wishes count with me

The rest of your post was just useless trash talk that contributed nothing to the subject other than to be insulting, but thanks.
Old 08-26-2014

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

All can relate is my actual experience Don, not some third-party, read it off the internet, wisdom. You keep asking the same question, and getting the same answer: it costs what you spend. You can budget all you like in your nice safe armchair, but you need to get out and live the life for a while to know what YOU need. I know I can spend very little by staying away from urban money traps, but for some people, visiting urban money traps is the whole point of them going cruising. To each his own I say.

If you're a marina hopper, or your boat cannot manage to be away from shore amenities for a long time, then you will spend more. If you can stock cheaply and in bulk, and live on the hook most of the time, then you will spend much less.

The lesson in all these threads is that there is no one TRUTH about financing. Only you can answer that question grasshopper. Now, get off your duff and go!

Why go fast, when you can go slow
jerryrlitton, Group9 and paikea like this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.