LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 4 Weeks Ago
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road
Re: $3000/mo cruising budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
A cruising budget is easy to establish.

It's $3000 in March - the supermarkets and diesel are really inexpensive here so we've stocked up on all our supplies.
It's $0 in April - see March above.
So in April you just anchored and either sat on the boat or dinghied in and walked around, and you only ate or drank what you had bought the month before? No meals out, movies, bought a book, paid for internet, did any landry ashore, went to a museum, or anything.

Sounds fun Then you repeated for July, August, and Sept.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
just ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
. You keep asking the same question, and getting the same answer: it costs what you spend.
Of course it costs what you spend. What a helpful budgeting statement.

I wonder what is going to work out better for a cruiser: spending $2000/mo when they had a $3000/mo budget, or spending $1000/mo when they had budgeted $500/mo.

BTW - when I say "cruising" budget I mean "living" budget. It has to cover everything!
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
So in April you just anchored and either sat on the boat or dinghied in and walked around, and you only ate or drank what you had bought the month before? No meals out, movies, bought a book, paid for internet, did any landry ashore, went to a museum, or anything.

Sounds fun Then you repeated for July, August, and Sept.
Don, you are continually putting down the experience of people who are actually doing what you say you want to do. Has it occurred to you that there are places where it is impossible (or nearly so) to actually spend money? There are no restaurants, movie theatres, book stores (and if there are, the books won't be in English - you use free book exchanges or load up an iPad before you go), there is no Internet, you do your own laundry rather than hiring a local woman to wash it by bashing it on a rock, there are no museums - basically there is no anything that requires money. Then you go somewhere else where you cannot avoid spending a lot.

Couple of examples. We spent several weeks in Suvarov in the Cook Islands. The only money you can spent there is the entry fee to the country ($50?). If you were coming from another island in the country you could not spend a penny. Add on the passage to and from Suvarov, (no museums and movie theatres in the middle of the Pacific) and you spend zippo for most of a couple of months. When you arrive in South Africa you have no choice but to spend money on marinas - there are no anchorages at all along the eastern part of the country. Food, wine and beer are all cheap, both for eating out and provisioning. You want to go see lions and elephants - for us it was a two week trip with car rental, hotels, etc. It was relatively cheap and terrific touring, but it still adds up.

What do you drink? Are you flexible? In some places you drink rum because it is cheap. In other places wine is the bargain beverage, while in others it is beer. If you insist on your favourite Scotch you will be shocked at how expensive it will be in some places (if you can get it at all). French Polynesia and Australia come to mind. If you are paying $80 a fifth for hooch that would be less than $20 in the US it can add up pretty quick. We found it made more sense to drink the $2 a litre Chilean wines and $8 a litre excellent rum we stocked up on in Panama, where we spent $1200 at the local version of Costco one day. The rum went really well with the limes we bought in Ecudador 70 for $1.

I haven't cruised the coast of Spain, France, and Italy in the Med, but I hear it is incredibly expensive. Almost no anchorages and marinas that are over $100 a night. Great food and great restaurants, but not cheap.

You tell me where you want to cruise, what kind of boat (size and complexity), and what your lifestyle is and I can make a broad guess as to the cost. Without that kind of information it is useless to say that you can do it on $500 a month, $3000 a month or any other amount.
John Casey (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago
just ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
Don, you are continually putting down the experience of people who are actually doing what you say you want to do.

I don't feel I'm putting down anyone. I'm trying to explore real numbers, which is why I ask what they are doing and what is included in their "budgets". If people can't or don't what to share this info then they are only reading this thread for internet forum entertainment.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
I don't feel I'm putting down anyone. I'm trying to explore real numbers, which is why I ask what they are doing and what is included in their "budgets". If people can't or don't what to share this info then they are only reading this thread for internet forum entertainment.
You sound like you need a high degree of certainty about what is going to happen when cruising and what it is going to cost. All I can tell you from my previous cruising experience, is that that financial certainty can be found in a lot of lifestyles, but I'm not sure cruising is one of them.

Most cruisers deal with that uncertainty, by:

1. Accepting it.
2. Being very self sufficient.
3. Learning as much as they can, especially from people who have already done what they are trying to do, on how to cope with that uncertainty.

If you think the costs of cruising can be hard to pin down, wait until you see how uncertain the weather can be while cruising.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 4 Weeks Ago

outbound is on a distinguished road

One thing Killarney says that strikes home is expense depends on locale. Over this summer have wandered around North east U.S. A major expense has been moorings when either no anchorage or no room in anchorage. Often have no choice- either pay for mooring or turn around and head out again which may be unsafe as both wife/myself are sleep deprived from sail getting to new harbor. So far have been able to avoid slips but this has required not going certain places where only slips are available. Other highly variable expense has been fuel. If no wind engine is on. If no wind or sun generator needs to be run even when on anchor. Image this will continue to vary after beginning of November and we head for BVI.
Good, cheap food seems to require local knowledge and often a cab ride. Have taken to looking at sterns and noting homeport boats. If anyone in cockpit dinghy over and politely ask they share knowledge.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Of course Killarney is quite right. But also, of course, OF COURSE the internet takes over a forum thread and the only person who doesnt realise it is the person most interested.

This thread would be attended to lots of people in that budget range of the subject box if they were allowed to. But they are not. One must learn and understand the internet and how it works.

You can't talk budget on this forum unless you are talking low budget. Thats why the $500 per month threads, and ridiculous as they are, work.

I was reading a trawler for big expensive motor boats and it was exaclty the same. Everyone deriding anyone who has a better budget than the bare minimum. Even the typical political slagging off saying anyone who spends more that the most miserly budget is some fascist. Except the most miserly budget there was $60,000 per year

A few have the guts to toss their expenses sheets out for all to critisize... and the interesting thing is that all the budgets are quite close no matter if you have a living off the hook budget or cruise around in sailing style or the superyacht/trawler budget.

You can only eat so much and, yes, thats often regulated by your location.

The budget variations come from free food (caught, and very few boats catch more than a meal a week), supermarkets, how much food boght before their cruise.
Then theirs maintenance and what needs to be put aside for the 3rd, 5th and 12th years maintenance. If you include maintenance for a full decade it will be different to one year. Sorry, but thats true. Obviously it depends on your boat too.

Now, then theres the variables in budgets and this is what changes a low budget to a higher one:
Restaurants
Travel home
Insurances
Marinas
Travel off the boat.

And they are mostly discretionary.

if you are from the USA and fly home from the Caribbean is costs tuppence compared to flying home from Suvarov in the Cook Islands. So most don't till they can afford the flight.

One friends boat was on the exact same pittance of a budget as mine except for an extra $10,000 per year because he could not be in any port in the world without a rent a car every day! Why the hell do you need a rent a car EVERY day????????? But for he and his wife they liked making sandwitches on board and taking them on their daily trips.
If I had that extra money I would still go by bus, but I would be drunk 24/7!

If I did have some serious dollars to spend my own luxury would be to hire a helicopter in each country. I love the way you see terrain by helicopter.

So everyone's budget is basically the same its only our parameters individually that differ. But these threads will not allow discussion of those parameters and thats very sad.

Mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Mark, you don't need money to be drunk 24/7. Surely, you can find a way to turn potatoes, rice, or grain into moonshine? No tovarich to tech you how to make wodka?! You've missed out on a basic sailing skill.(G)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Mine is a better quality moonshine... but the recipe says it needs to be aged 12 years...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
just ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Mine is a better quality moonshine... but the recipe says it needs to be aged 12 years...
good reason to be in the Caribbean since good rum is less expensive than "other" stuff

See I think of ways to cut the budget