Not a Member? 

Like Tree197Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 3 Weeks Ago

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road
Re: $3000/mo cruising budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
Aren't you just a judgemental ahole type looking for ways to be insulting. I don't understand why you keep reading and posting on this thread since all you are interested in is attacking me. What a valuable source of info you are!
Nope, wrong again. You want black and white answers when there are not any. You ask about reality while living in fantasy. Not having any kind of "cruising plan" must surely add to your angst. Why not answer the simple questions I posed? If you read the "Cruising Finances" thread you would know that the majority of folks have a PLAN and can articulate what it may be.. So again, whats your plan? Long term offshore cruising? Coastal? What's your ideal "cruising lifestyle". How are YOU going to make it happen?

Again I don't think you will be able to do it on $3000 a month, especially without being able to answer the questions above. If that rufffles your feathers now, what are you going to do when the **** hits the fan offshore?
jerryrlitton and newhaul like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthoops View Post
I wasn't trying to make a distinction between a cruising budget and a retirement liveaboard budget. For us, retirement will mean full time cruising but we'll return to land when we're ready, not because we've run out of money. At the risk of stating the obvious, if a person can be in a position where their cruising budget comes from steady sources of income (e.g. a pension, earnings from investments) and they don't touch the principal, then it's not necessary to rely on the funds from selling the boat.

All I was trying to say was that if people are willing to look outside the box, they may find that they don't need as much money as they thought to go cruising.
I agree with your point, but was trying to add a distinction that I thought was relevant to the current query. When you return to shore, you'll need somewhere to live. If you rent, you'll need that increase in cash flow to cover it. Maybe its an offset to one's boat costs, but that depends. If you buy a house or condo, you'll need that capital. For most, its pretty unlikely that the boat value is a swap. Finally, your medical or long term nursing care needs will need to be met as well, understanding a reasonable number of cruisers that go without medical insurance in younger years.

If one is cruising for a few years in their 40s or 50s with the understanding they will return to work, this is less relevant. If one's plan is to spend every moment until they can no longer be aboard, it's very relevant.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Instant noodles.

Ask any university student.
I've never been so poor I couldn't live off Ramen noodles.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post
Nope, wrong again. You want black and white answers when there are not any. You ask about reality while living in fantasy. Not having any kind of "cruising plan" must surely add to your angst. Why not answer the simple questions I posed? If you read the "Cruising Finances" thread you would know that the majority of folks have a PLAN and can articulate what it may be.. So again, whats your plan? Long term offshore cruising? Coastal? What's your ideal "cruising lifestyle". How are YOU going to make it happen?

Again I don't think you will be able to do it on $3000 a month, especially without being able to answer the questions above. If that rufffles your feathers now, what are you going to do when the **** hits the fan offshore?
I agree. It's like asking people, "What does it cost to build a house?" without knowing where you want to build it, or how big you want it to be.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 2 Weeks Ago
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road

was a lot more useful thread before it turned to just really be bashing

just where would internet forums be without bashers looking for a "cause"
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:

We're all trying to tell you the same thing, but because it's not the answer you want to hear, you think we are bashing you.

Old 2 Weeks Ago
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Quote:

We're all trying to tell you the same thing, but because it's not the answer you want to hear, you think we are bashing you.
i

You aren't telling me anything as the thread isn't about me. There isn't any answer I want to heard . I already know the answer for me

Last edited by Don0190; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:56 PM.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
i

You telling me anything as the thread isn't about me. There isn't any answer I want to heard . I already know the answer for me
Okey Dokey.
newhaul and Capt Len like this.