Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree135Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2014
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road
Re: $3000/mo cruising budget

why post a health care rant on this thread, I believe everyone understands the health issue
tdw likes this.
Old 02-06-2014
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
why post a health care rant on this thread, I believe everyone understands the health issue
Would have been better if he had posted the financial s however the cost for quality care is a major concern for most budgets to keep in mind.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-06-2014

outbound is on a distinguished road

end of day- cruising expenses including health care for me and my bride are budgeted at~50k/yr. That includes 4 airplane tickets from Caribe, annual haulout and us doing zincs/bottom/oilchanges/heads and other routine maintenance. Also expect need for another 5-10k/yr into pit fund for unexpected expenses and expected replacements/major services. In year one which has been part time. Have spoken with owners of sisterships and other cruisers with similar plans/boats so believe this is realistic but we shall see.
Sorry about the rant- I really liked helping people its just a shame folks don't realize for insurance companies there are three groups
healthy-paying premium- profit
sick getting services-paying premium- less or no profit
dead not paying premium, not using services -revenue neutral . Everything flows from that for them. End of rant
Old 02-06-2014
just ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
end of day- cruising expenses including health care for me and my bride are budgeted at~50k/yr.
I agree it is a major issue, it just is that we could sidetrack almost any cruising discussion on it.
Old 02-06-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I agree it is a major issue, it just is that we could sidetrack almost any cruising discussion on it.
And, there are several different ways of dealing with that expense. Some are right for some people and different ones are right for others.

Hard to find a one size fits all budget for medical.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 02-06-2014

outbound is on a distinguished road

Other thing I wonder about is boat insurance. Any advise about how to lower this expense would be greatly appreciated. Shop this periodically but a bit of a catch 22. Experience and credentialing may bring it down but can't really get experience without doing it. I want to sail across the Atlantic. I would prefer to not have paid crew ( way too expensive-budget buster for me), or sail with folks I don't know. Sailing friends have their own boats and doing their own thing. Starting to do passages as mom and pop and so far so good. Would want four on boat for transit but others interested are in same boat as me as regards experience or less. Have thousands of miles offshore but mostly Bermuda and back. Question ends up self insure or just suck it up.
Related issue is credentialing- How much is worth it? What's the pay back? Understand in EU some is required. Seems silly to sit in some of these courses but others will definitely fill the vast areas of my lack of knowledge. Often have learned more messing with a fellow cruiser fixing their or my boat or playing with the SSB or other electronic aid then in a course. So far the ones I intend to do make no difference to my insurer such as the Mack diesel course, Lee's multi day weather course or the Safety at Sea course. Getting ASA certs hold no interest. Thinking about getting a 50T but how much does this really apply to what we are doing? Input from people who have been there done that would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-06-2014

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The above was based on my current spending budget by taking out my land house expenses. I would expect that people what to live same basic quality of life when cruising that they were on land.
This is a corect premis to start a budget. And for me its pretty corect in that I enjoy my food in a similar price bracket as home, same for entertainment, booze at bars and number of times eating out.

Then some people have another two options...
A) To go cheaper than they were at home, perhaps due to go now philosophy. Yes that can be done to an extent but can create some unexpected hardships when reality sinks in, boat stuff breaks, and life happens.
B) retirement "We've been saving all our lives now lets hit the world and have fun!" By jingo, by crikey, thats gotta be the fun way! However, its easy for any budget to suddenly inflate so even those with tons of dosh to chuck about need to be quite careful, at least in the first year.

Remember too some other things throw a spanner in the works... Our currency is 20% lower than what it was 12 months ago. Spending 20% more than budgeted for can be quite a difficulty.
Old 02-06-2014
just ducky

good question to ask your insurance company because what we say doesn't mean anything

I know I get a discount for 3 days of Captain training they my insurance provider made me get a few years ago
Old 02-06-2014
Sailboat Reboot

svzephyr44 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44

Quote:
I want to sail across the Atlantic. I would prefer to not have paid crew ( way too expensive-budget buster for me), or sail with folks I don't know.
First - I soloed across the Atlantic. Nice feather in my cap. Not something I would choose to do again. It is a very tough trip. On the way back I brought on crew. I used https://www.findacrew.net/. Yes, I had to pay for the service. There are a number of other places to look for crew - I think Sailnet may even have a "crew wanted/available section." I did this because an Atlantic transit takes 3 to 5 weeks. None of my family, friends, associates etc. were willing to devote that amount of time to looking at the ocean. And frankly, there isn't much else to do. Veteran cruisers will tell you: transits stink, destinations are wonderful. The most important thing is knowing the people for a while before you set off. My objective was always at least two weeks. I have some documents I now use with potential crew - since this is off topic I will not post them here again but they are available on the links section of my web site.

Quote:
Other thing I wonder about is boat insurance. Question ends up self insure or just suck it up.
My simple answer - can you financially afford to lose the boat and all its contents? If the answer is no then you need insurance.

Quote:
So far the ones I intend to do make no difference to my insurer such as the Mack diesel course, Lee's multi day weather course or the Safety at Sea course.
I took Safety at Sea to encourage my ex-wife. It was one of the best sailing learning experiences of my lifetime. The highlight for me was when they popped open a life raft and I got to see what was actually inside that fiberglass box on my deck.

Fair winds and following seas.
outbound likes this.

Ham: W2ZDB Reboot: WDB8435
Web Site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Blog:

Last edited by svzephyr44; 02-06-2014 at 04:16 PM.
Old 02-06-2014
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road

Of all the thread hijacking I have seen over the years, arguing about the US healthcare system in a global cruising budget thread might be the lamest.
newhaul likes this.
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Port Aransas, Texas