Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2014

dave6330 is on a distinguished road
Re: WiFi Connectivity On-Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaten View Post
dave6330;

Check yer guigs there. Mebbe run15 min. just ta see.I got nearer 100 meg/hr on my Verizon acct using netflix.

regards,
paul
WILCO. Once we get connectivity we'll be monitoring our usage VERY closely. Fo now, I have no experience with any of the on-line services, hulu, netflix or what ever else is out there. If netflix really does run for (roughly) 100 meg/hr, that'll be a big plus!

"Fight the good fight, holding on to faith and a good conscience. Some have rejected these and so have shipwrecked thier faith"
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-07-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchbrown View Post

"suggest you have someone help you set things up...My point is that it will work if setup right. but there will be a learning curve.

good luck
You bet I will. I'll admit to being a digital caveman...not exactly savvy in all things electronic (yet).

"Fight the good fight, holding on to faith and a good conscience. Some have rejected these and so have shipwrecked thier faith"
Old 02-08-2014

jsaronson is on a distinguished road

If you are in a metropolitan area you can pick up TV signals to get the major networks with a cheap TV antenna.
Old 02-08-2014

theartfuldodger is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to theartfuldodger

We use a system called Bad Boy with some signals 5 miles away, very happy
Old 02-08-2014
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Anyone who is technically inclined and understands networking could assemble their own for less money than what Island Time charges. I just ordered the parts this morning (8db Antenna, Groove 52HPn high power interface, ethernet cable) for about $110 from Amazon. This is the same kit that they sell for $200.

If you aren't experienced with networking and want help making the system work then the Island Time option looks like a good one.
Old 02-08-2014

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

The main thing us you want an Ethernet device. Do nor waste your time with any system that uses USB as the drivers are very flaky and unstable. I have had very good luck with the Ubuquie (sp?) devices. I have a several year old nano that has served ne well. Shame that most signals ate encrypted now. I have set up a few bullets with various antennas successfully. Not hard at all.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk
Old 02-08-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Our marina has had a few setups and they all stink. It's not bleeding edge technology anymore, so I always attribute this to cost control and inadequate antennas. We tried to stream netflix aboard for the kids, but it just kept dropping.

I rarely bother using there wifi anymore and just use our 3G service. If I want a movie, I go out for coffee or to the diner and download them while there. Often onto my phone. Renting through iTunes is awesome. You get 30 days to watch, after you download (although 24 hr to finish once you start watching). One huge tip...... download the SD version, not the defaulted HD version. The later take 5 times longer to download.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-08-2014

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

This is what I have (well I was using an older version) but am not currently. I used it for years to share an internet connection in an apartment with another person in another building. It connected for months at a time. (the USB device I started with had to be rebooted a few times a day) It has a built in antenna, that is mostly omnidirectional, though I did find it somewhat directional. Came with a 110 volt power injector.

Amazon.com : Ubiquiti NanoStation M2 : Network Access Points : Computers & Accessories Amazon.com : Ubiquiti NanoStation M2 : Network Access Points : Computers & Accessories

If I were starting again I would go with a bullet, if range is an issue there is a High Power version and there is a "Titanium" version that is supposed to be more durable.

this would be a good set up to start with:

Amazon.com : Ubiquiti BULLET2 AP or CPE Outdoor 802.11b/g : Network Access Points : Computers & Accessories Amazon.com : Ubiquiti BULLET2 AP or CPE Outdoor 802.11b/g : Network Access Points : Computers & Accessories

for 31.99

OR

Amazon.com : Ubiquiti BULLET2-HP High Power WiFi AP or CPE Outdoor 802.11b/g : Network Access Points : Computers & Accessories Amazon.com : Ubiquiti BULLET2-HP High Power WiFi AP or CPE Outdoor 802.11b/g : Network Access Points : Computers & Accessories

for 68.99 (gives better range)
+
Amazon.com: Engenius Outdoor High Gain 8dBi Omni Antenna (EAG-2408): Electronics Amazon.com: Engenius Outdoor High Gain 8dBi Omni Antenna (EAG-2408): Electronics

for 22.50
+

for 3.89

So for under $60 or $100 depending on range. I think in a marina the standard bullet would be fine, but if you anchor out and want to see if there are any more distant signals you can grab, then the HP might be worth it. Just remember the other station will only put out so much power so it is going to be the antenna that helps receiving, therefor download speeds. Plus you will need a couple of Ethernet cables. you can run it straight to a router, or even to the Ethernet port on your laptop.

You can find cheap wireless routers on eBay or Craigslist all the time or use an old one from home if you have one. It is really easy to set up, took me like 10 min, and was connecting.
Old 02-08-2014

Capnblu is on a distinguished road

We bought a Wiri AP, Cost around $500.

I Don't Know! I Don't Know!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-08-2014

"technically inclined and understands networking".

I'm about 180 degrees out from being so inclined and understanding...