Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2006

gaha_1 is on a distinguished road
Lake Erie islands

You have to stop at Put in bay.I think it is South Bass Island.Then there is Pelee Island.That,s on the canda side,Lemington.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-24-2006

ricccccc is on a distinguished road
Erie,Pa

A must see port is Erie,Pa...Great harbor, plenty of things to do and see..
Old 02-25-2006

Irwin32 is on a distinguished road
Al

Thanks for asking - no offers yet. If we don't sell I will just cruise Lake Huron this summer and leave my boat somewhere Canada for the winter in hopes to get into NY the following year. Are you interested in some rental propery in the Chicago area? Joe
Old 03-05-2006

Pogo-2 is on a distinguished road
No thanks, all I want to see this summer is Lake Erie blue. We hope to make it from Buffalo to Port Colborne, Erie , Cleveland , Put in Bay then back on the Canadian side. who knows maybe a month should do it. Let me know when you decide to come to NY.
Old 03-08-2006

jcount57 is on a distinguished road
St Ignace and Mackinaw Island are great. To anchor in Les Chenneauxs Government Bay is great. Heading east Lime Island in the St Marys river just above Detour is nice. Form there You can take the north route into the north Channel. We liked Thessalon and Gore bay. Good luck ,you will love Northern Lake Huron too bad our season is so short. Fair winds
Old 03-11-2006

jybiom is on a distinguished road
Anchor in Presque Isle Marina bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irwin32
Thanks much for the info, I added it to my cruise file.
If you get to Presque Isle, in Erie, Pa. be sure to spend a nite at anchor in the Presque Isle marina bay. It's free. There are restrooms and showers along with a gas dock and freindly folks. Visit me at Pier B slip 41.
Fair winds,
John
Old 03-16-2006

TheStorm is on a distinguished road
You can also reach Lake Ontario from Georgian Bay through the Trent-Severn Waterway, but it's 240 miles and you'll have to take your mast down. Still, it's a recreational boaters paradise and you'd have a great trip.

http://www.cruising.ca/trent/index.html
http://www.trent-severn-waterway.com/index.htm

For Lake Ontario, west of Wilson, Port Dalhousie is a good choice if you like restaurants & bars. 50-Point is in a Conservation Park so it's good if you like quiet and nature. Port Credit is a great place to stay during the Jazz Fest (www.portcredit.com) and also has great bars and restaurants within steps of both marinas, but I'd stay at the Harbour rather than the Village Marina. Toronto Island has the best view and is my favorite, but you'll have to take the ferry to get downtown ($3/each) and off the Island. Marina Four is smack in the middle of downtown and a great deal, a few minutes walk from the Skydome and CN-Towner, etc. And finally, reserve now at Ontario Place for the Air Show, which I think is usually in September.
Old 03-16-2006

Irwin32 is on a distinguished road
i really do appreciate the posts here. The house in IL is sold and closes in a couple of weeks and we close on a home in Wilson, NY in the middle of April. Housing prices are low there and we were able to find a home with L Ontario frontage for significantly less than our IL home. Its a fixer upper, but I have done that before. The house is 3 miles from either the harbor in Wilson to the west or the one in Olcott Beach to the East.

If I can have the boat ready by mid May, I will sail in tandem with a friend doing a delivery to Bayfield. (long underwear cruise) I will go as far as St Ignace, or thereabouts, and split from him. I plan to spend June poking around northern Huron and July in the N Channel. I am supposed to meet a friend at Little Current on July 1. I am debating whether to do the Trent Severen or Lake Erie. Tough choice. I think that if I do not spend a lot of time in Georgian Bay this summer, I will go the L Erie route since it will be with the prevailing winds. I would then return to Georgian a year or two later via the Trent Severen, cruise that area and return via Erie to L Ontario.

Al, I plan to get into Wilson late August, but my time fram is pretty open. I'm retired and really don't have any deadlines.

Life is full of so many choices.

I am printing this thread out tonight - thanks for the input. I will be looking some of you up this summer. If you are not on your boat, I will leave an empty beer bottle on your deck to let you know I was there.
Old 03-17-2006

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Irwin,
We meet and talked at the Stictly Sail Show in Chicago, I don't think you are old enough to be retired, you should still be working like the rest of us. Just a joke, congrats on the sale of your house and the purchase of your new home. Waterfront on Lake Ontario? Sounds wonderful, best of luck with your cruise and fair winds to everybody.
Sailor Tim
Old 03-29-2006

Pogo-2 is on a distinguished road
Joe
Glad you sold the house and are going to make the trip this summer, you have my home # give me a call when you get close to this end of the lake. I know what you mean about being retired, i can't believe I retired at 55 and I'm now 61 time just flies when your having fun. Hopefuly the admiral and I are going to make the trip to Erie and then work our way to put in bay this july. Late august is a great time to be on lake ontario, it's just a great lake to sail on. Have a good trip and keep in touch.