Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2014
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: What guitar do you play onboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip View Post
They're just Gotoh 510s. 18:1 gear ratio. You can put them on anything you want for like $70.

STEWMAC.COM : Gotoh Midsize 510 Tuners with Metal Knobs

I'm not a huge fan, because the teeth on the gears are tiny and are more easily stripped, although I've never actually seen it happen with Gotohs (I have with 18:1 Grovers). Musicians are generally used to making small adjustments, so I don't feel like the difference between 14:1 or even 12:1 is a big deal, but if you like them it's an easy change.

Taylor makes good stuff. The kits that they have for luthiers to do neck jobs are ridiculously convenient. The closest thing to interchangeable parts in the acoustic guitar world.

Arent they also gold tuners? I cannot remember so this is straight memory. They certainly are not the same metal as the 814. I do remember looking a bit lime an idiot trying to tune it at first.

I may pm you about changing out the tuners. I was really impressed with them. I wont do it. It will go to the L. But i would be interested in it. However, the inlays on the neck of that 914 are beautiful. Just a gorgeous guitar.

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-16-2014
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Cool. Neither the Little Martins nor the Baby Tayors sound anything like their big brothers to me...there are just too many compromises. But they're a good size for small boats.

The one I'm building now will be Formica back and sides, but with an Alaskan Yellow Cedar top, which should be pretty durable, sound better than my 000 sized Formica one, and take up less space on my boat.

There are some incredibly gifted folks on this forum and you are one.
guitarguy56 likes this.

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 02-16-2014
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Dad: I sold my boat so guitar size is not now and has never been an issue with me. I'm a sound guy.

As for tuners:
My GuildD-50 I bought in 1965 had Grovers and today they are as smooth as silk. I'm not a techno guy. I just play. But I think those old Grovers are as good as they get.
I don't know what I have on the JS-200. I think I'll go check.

We should quit all this BS and get togeher and play sometime. If I get drunk I might sing for you. Fair warning.

Truth is, when there are two or more other guitar players I play bass. That is my true comfort zone. But you can't sit in the cokpit on a quiet night playing bass. Maybe Jacco could but I can't.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 02-16-2014

guitarguy56 is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: What guitar do you play onboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post

Truth is, when there are two or more other guitar players I play bass. That is my true comfort zone. But you can't sit in the cokpit on a quiet night playing bass. Maybe Jacco could but I can't.
Sailnet jamboree...
Old 02-17-2014
Fortuitous

chip is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
Arent they also gold tuners? I cannot remember so this is straight memory. They certainly are not the same metal as the 814. I do remember looking a bit lime an idiot trying to tune it at first.

I may pm you about changing out the tuners. I was really impressed with them. I wont do it. It will go to the L. But i would be interested in it. However, the inlays on the neck of that 914 are beautiful. Just a gorgeous guitar.
Yeah, I was also going from memory. I checked it out, and it looks like they're an even more upscale version of the Gotoh 510 with a 21:1 ratio and a higher pricetag than what I linked to previously. They come in several colors, including gold.

The current 814 has "Taylor" tuners, which are probably rebranded Pings or something.
Old 02-17-2014
Fortuitous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
There are some incredibly gifted folks on this forum and you are one.
Thanks man. I'm just a hobbyist and there are a lot of people making way better stuff than mine (check out mimf.com some time if you want to see some awesome homemade instruments) but it keeps me sane[ish] when my boat is hidden in a snow bank.
Old 02-17-2014

Quote:
Thanks man. I'm just a hobbyist and there are a lot of people making way better stuff than mine (check out mimf.com some time if you want to see some awesome homemade instruments) but it keeps me sane[ish] when my boat is hidden in a snow bank.
Chip... looks like you are an amateur luthier... do you devote yourself to any luthier forums so we can see some of your other work? Have you ever posted your work on the DelCamp classical guitar forums? I admire the craftsmanship you guys put into making pieces of wood into fine instruments... I like to work with wood but more cabinets, some small furniture items, and wood crafts.

Last edited by guitarguy56; 02-17-2014 at 10:13 AM.
Old 02-17-2014
Fortuitous

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy56 View Post
Chip... looks like you are an amateur luthier... do you devote yourself to any luthier forums so we can see some of your other work? Have you ever posted your work on the DelCamp classical guitar forums? I admire the craftsmanship you guys put into making pieces of wood into fine instruments... I like to work with wood but more cabinets, some small furniture items, and wood crafts.
No, not really. I used to be on mimf.com a lot, but I never showed much stuff there. I also don't do classical guitars at all. Classical builders are a slightly different brand of crazy from steel string and electric builders.

The closest I ever got a classical was my solid body nylon string with a fake "sound hole" that goes all the way through. I affectionately call it the Less Paul.

There are more pics of the build process here:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...53991194485585
guitarguy56 likes this.
Old 02-18-2014

cranki is on a distinguished road

Since I live aboard I have most of my guitars on board. My Guild G-37 is built like a brick you know what and it has been very stable. It does have a laminated arched back. I also used to live right on the beach in California and it does have a slight bit of pitting in the tuners that started a long time ago.

I play lead in a few bands and do some semi regular electric jamming as well so I have a Shecter Strat and an Epiphone Sorento on board as well. No worries with the Schecter: solid body, bolt on neck. The Sorento is a hollow body with a set neck and is a bit more delicate.

Just picked up a brand new Guild F412 last fall and she spends most of her time at my girlfriends house as I am low on room for more guitars and don't want to take any chances with what is by far my most expensive guitar.
Old 02-18-2014

Quote:
No, not really. I used to be on mimf.com a lot, but I never showed much stuff there. I also don't do classical guitars at all. Classical builders are a slightly different brand of crazy from steel string and electric builders.

The closest I ever got a classical was my solid body nylon string with a fake "sound hole" that goes all the way through. I affectionately call it the Less Paul.

There are more pics of the build process here:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...53991194485585
Nice... so how does this solid body sound like? Is there a pickup somewhere?
Interesting design... so you've been building for some time I imagine.

Agree the classical's are another breed altogether and they sure are a passionate bunch those luthiers on that forum.