Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2014
aka $tingy Sailor

This Old Sailboat is on a distinguished road
What guitar do you play onboard?

The existing threads here about guitars onboard are getting old and not specific to this question. Sailing and playing guitar go well together. When at anchor, I mean. But hey, if you can play and tack at the same time, let's hear about it.

For an acoustic guitar, I play mostly fingerstyle on a Taylor 812ce. But I'm thinking of getting a Taylor Baby to take on the boat since space is such a premium and I don't want to fret over the guitar getting mistreated or stolen (pun intended).

So this thread is something of a poll:

If you have a guitar onboard, what is it and what style music do you play on the water?
guitarguy56 likes this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-13-2014

CLOSECALL is on a distinguished road
Re: What guitar do you play onboard?

Seagull, what else?
Faster likes this.
Old 02-13-2014

guitarguy56 is on a distinguished road

I play classical guitar (Fernando Sor, Tarrega, Issac Ibeniz, etc) so my guitars have a Spanish flavor... here is my Cordoba C7 Cedar/Indian rosewood guitar.... great sound and the guitar I use on the boat.

This guitar is my Garcia 1972 1A which is the same as a Jose Ramirez 1A guitar... same sound, woods, build construction. I use this one for more concert playing since it projects quite loud...

I have 1/2 a dozen more guitars of various grades I've collected including a Modesto Borreguero guitar and a Concert Vincente Tatay guitar from the 1970's... beautiful guitar!
CalebD likes this.
Old 02-14-2014
aka $tingy Sailor

This Old Sailboat is on a distinguished road

CloseCall,
Doh! Of course. Don't let its namesake give you a signature on it.

GuitarGuy56,
Very cool. I've been tempted to get a nylon string for my next guitar. For certain styles, nothing else emotes quite like them.
Old 02-14-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by This Old Sailboat View Post
GuitarGuy56,
Very cool. I've been tempted to get a nylon string for my next guitar. For certain styles, nothing else emotes quite like them.
I've had several steel string guitars and sold them for the nylon guitars... truly love the mellow Spanish tones when playing Cavatina, or Romanza, or one of Issac Ibeniz Spanish Suites.
Old 02-14-2014

capecodda is on a distinguished road

This one:

Blackbird Guitars | Rider Steel String | Carbon Fiber Steel String Travel Guitar
Old 02-14-2014

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

I keep a Martin LXM on-board... Stays in tune, virtually unaffected by high humidity and sounds somewhat decent for a small guitar... Had a Baby Taylor first but it was very thin sounding and it hated the marine environment/high humidity...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 02-14-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
I keep a Martin LXM on-board... Stays in tune, virtually unaffected by high humidity and sounds somewhat decent for a small guitar... Had a Baby Taylor first but it was very thin sounding and it hated the marine environment/high humidity...
What do you play on your Martin...Folk, Blues, Pop, instrumental...? Picture of the guitar would be nice...
Old 02-14-2014

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

My plain vanilla Fender CD-100 (laminate top) resides onboard all season. I picked thru nearly 20 of them 'till I foundthenright one . THAT exercise was to have a 6 that "rang" like my 12. Result was a guitar thatt has good resonation and plays well. $179 @discounted sale nprice and I don;lt n need to worry about it.
It ain't all that purty; but, neither am I
I tend to '60s folk/pop w/some ventures into later stuff. CSN+/-Y, Lightfoot, etc.. Even penned our own signature boat ditty; "Piracy" that's quite a bit of fun!
guitarguy56 likes this.
Old 02-14-2014

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy56 View Post
What do you play on your Martin...Folk, Blues, Pop, instrumental...? Picture of the guitar would be nice...

I mostly play folk, bluegrass and anything that suits my mood.. I am just a flat picker..

I used to have a really nice collection of acoustic guitars, Martin (D-18GE & 000), Santa Cruz (Tony Rice Pro and an OM (flamed Koa and German Spruce top), Larivee (OM), Collings (slope shoulder D mahogany & German Spruce), but living on the coast was wreaking havoc on them....

I now play a customized Blueridge D-18 style (Mahogany & Adirondack). And a rosewood/Englemann dreadnaught built by a friend who is a Luthier. I also have my LXM for the boat.

The one I really hated to part with was my Martin D-18GE or (Golden Era) pre-war replica but I was doing my nice guitars no justice by keeping them in such a volatile environment.... The D-18GE sounded simply amazing, like it had just popped out of 1935....! The nice thing about nice guitars is I sold every one of them for more than I paid....
guitarguy56 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.