SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   Snow Birds? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/122882-snow-birds.html)

Pearson796 02-13-2014 10:24 PM

Snow Birds?
 
When we RV'd full time we were snowbirds. We spent our winters down in the Southern California desert, our summers in the Eastern Sierras. While it was too hot to stay in the desert and too cold to be up in the mountains, twice a year we would stay at some in between place.

Obviously, on the east coast of the United States, snowbirds spend their winters in Florida or the Bahamas.

Where do snowbirds spend their summers safe from the Hurricane season?

Seaduction 02-14-2014 06:44 AM

Re: Snow Birds?
 
They migrate back north.

Pearson796 02-14-2014 08:59 AM

Re: Snow Birds?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seaduction (Post 1417153)
They migrate back north.


Yup, it was that way our first year as "snow birds"... No one would give up their northern spots.

So.. when they migrate back north, do they just go to Jacksonville, FL or do they go further north to Greenland?

Group9 02-14-2014 09:01 AM

Re: Snow Birds?
 
My sister in law's parents would go back and forth from south Florida and the Bahamas in the winter, and spend the summers on Kent Island in Maryland.

I've lived in all of those places, and that's not a bad way to do it.

zeehag 02-14-2014 09:32 AM

Re: Snow Birds?
 
never been a snowbird,never hope to be one. i just slowly relocated until i am not cold in night time. lol.
snow??
is for someone else.
i left that stuff in 1971.
not gonna ever go back.
isnt healthy for some of us to be in coldville.
there are many places where snow is never seen except in pictures or on distant mountain tops, far far far away....those are my favorite places.

Seaduction 02-17-2014 04:13 PM

Re: Snow Birds?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pearson796 (Post 1417449)
Yup, it was that way our first year as "snow birds"... No one would give up their northern spots.

So.. when they migrate back north, do they just go to Jacksonville, FL or do they go further north to Greenland?

If you're talking about the snowbirds in boats, then I would venture to say that they go back to their home ports in the north.;)

Pearson796 02-17-2014 06:57 PM

Re: Snow Birds?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seaduction (Post 1429754)
If you're talking about the snowbirds in boats, then I would venture to say that they go back to their home ports in the north.;)

Home ports in the north? Greenland? North Pole? Iceland?

Markwesti 02-17-2014 07:05 PM

Re: Snow Birds?
 
I'm not really sure I know what you mean by hurricane season , because we don't have one . I got to know a guy a few years back , he was from Co. Every winter and some times in the summer he would get the slip right next to me (that's Long Beach Ca.) I don't think he had any hurricanes out in Co. to escape . He did say it got a little chilly. So to answer your question Long Beach Ca. We do get what are called the Santa Anna's . It's a hot wind that blows off shore , usually starts the end of Oct . It can freshen to 40 kts .

xort 02-17-2014 07:38 PM

Re: Snow Birds?
 
As many options as there are boats.
There is a large contingent that stores their boat in various yards in Fl and Ga over summer and drive home north.
There are many who cruise north to marinas or homes from the Carolinas to Maine for the summer.
There are also full time cruisers who head north to various places from the Carinas to Maine.
There are also some cruisers doing the Great Loop heading north to the Great Lakes via the Hudson River and Erie Canal.

Thousands of options.

Pearson796 02-17-2014 07:40 PM

Re: Snow Birds?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Markwesti (Post 1430506)
I'm not really sure I know what you mean by hurricane season , because we don't have one . I got to know a guy a few years back , he was from Co. Every winter and some times in the summer he would get the slip right next to me (that's Long Beach Ca.) I don't think he had any hurricanes out in Co. to escape . He did say it got a little chilly. So to answer your question Long Beach Ca. We do get what are called the Santa Anna's . It's a hot wind that blows off shore , usually starts the end of Oct . It can freshen to 40 kts .

In this neck of the woods it is all but guaranteed that we will have a hurricane at least once a year.

I've been through a couple in my lifetime living in N. Myrtle Beach, SC. I was in Charlotte, NC the year that HUGO came so far inland and left a path of destruction far from shore.

So when I say hurricane season, I mean to say that I don't want to be in the Gulf of Mexico, The Keys, or anywhere south of Virginia between June and November. Not to say Hurricanes can't hit north of Virgina, but I'd feel safer further north.

Our plan is to try and spend the summer of 2015 in Maine, but I'm still researching the plausibility.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012