Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2006

LaceyKay is on a distinguished road
Question sailing with cats??

I have two cats, Turks and Caicos, who are almost a year old. I am possibly leaving for the Caribbean in about a year for a 8-12 month cruise.

I couldn't stand to leave them, but they are enough of a pain in the house, much less a tiny boat. I have no idea what to do. Any stories, advice, or comments on taking the little ones along???

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-14-2006
Catalina 38 Avantura

duffer1960 is on a distinguished road
Make sure your litter box (if you use one) has high sides on it. Also make sure it is in a secure location and won't move when heeded. For more info, look at the living aboard section; there was a pretty extensive thread in there about cats on board.
Catalina 38, Hull #112
"AVANTURA"
Lake Erie
Grosse Ile, Michigan
Old 02-21-2006
Senior Nappy Headed Ho

Denr is an unknown quantity at this point
If you run out of food or your refrigeration gives up the ghost you could eat the little rascals too! Cats stir fried are hard to beat mmmmmmm!
Old 02-21-2006

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
I love Denr's posts.
If you are ever bored, just search Denr's post and you will be entertained for hours.
Old 02-21-2006
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
The interesting part about Mr. Denr (well, actually there are too many to list) is that he's a cat lover -- and I don't mean for the dinner table, either.

Yes, his posts are entertaining -- even when he's calling me a trouble maker!

Denr -- Henry says hi!!!
Old 02-23-2006
Senior Nappy Headed Ho

Denr is an unknown quantity at this point
Are you bring Hank on our trip this summer? mmmmmmmmmmmmm!
Old 02-23-2006

Kenshu is on a distinguished road
We have lived aboard with our cat Oedipus for the past 4 years. She was about 10 years old when we moved aboard. She adopted very easily to the boat. We did buy a covered litter box and it works fine. She has only fallen overboard once. We were dockside and she was outraged but okay. She moves freely around the boat underway, no seasickness. All cruising has been in the USA so don't know about entering foreign ports (she speaks no foreign language to my knowledge). She knows no fear. We have to watch her carefully as she often likes to go out to the very end of the bowsprit. She's been no more of a pain than when house bound.
Old 02-23-2006

locrian13 is on a distinguished road
One of our mods once the boat is back in the water (I have a funny feeling we'll be finishing up all the other winter projects until the eleventh hour) is to screen in the hatches and the companionway. Have you had trouble with your cat 'escaping' when you're in port? I have one that I don't think would try it (I'm not sure she's going to take to this sailing bit too well), and one that I'm sure would be off exploring his first chance.
Also--have you done anything different to regulate the temperature down below? I'm worried it may be too hot for them...although, if Denr stops by for a visit, the fricassee will be halfway done, I guess.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-23-2006
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Locrian,

To see some hatch screens that will bring tears to your eyes (not to mention your pocket book), sail that beautiful P-35 down to Waukegan and humbly beseech Captain Denr for a tour of his mega-yacht. He has some teak screens made by Glebe Creek that are works of art. And if you ask nicely, he might share some of his favorite pet recipes with you as well.

Denr -- Henry will not be joining our sailfest this summer. He has never been on the boat and I don't think he would care for the experience. He's a homebody. Besides, he's pretty small and wouldn't be worth cooking up. God, I sure hope you-know-who doesn't find out I said that!
Old 02-24-2006

Kenshu is on a distinguished road
AWOL Cat

For the first 3 years, our cat never left the boat. She would stay on deck whether we were around or not. Last year, however, she suddenly developed wanderlust and we couldn't keep her on board. In fact, we were going on a weekend cruise and the cat jumped ship just as we started to cast off. I grabbed her and put her back on board. Off we went. After we got the sails up and trimmed, my wife said, "Where's Oedipus?" A quick search, no cat on board. Fortunately, she jumped onto a friends boat who kept her for the weekend.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.