SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   info,experience and maps needed for trip from florida to michigan (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/12483-info-experience-maps-needed-trip-florida-michigan.html)

flys66 02-16-2006 04:18 PM

info,experience and maps needed for trip from florida to michigan

i have a 70' gaff rigged schooner i purchased and would like to bring to michigan myself. i have never experienced or made this kind of trip and would love to here from anyone with experience,knowledge,maps ect. of the trip from south to north. i understand that there are 2 desired and main routes recommended. also looking for crew that would like to make the trip. no date for trip set as of yet. thanks for any support you can give. :)

sailingfool 02-16-2006 06:39 PM

Maps and things

Actuallly maps are more useful for auto driving you will want to get some charts for a trip in a boat. There must be an interesting story behind your ownership of a 70' schooner - you might let readers, and possible shipmates in on how you became master of such a hefty craft. What can you tell interested parties about the ride...

I think your question promises an excellent thread for the board!

PBzeer 02-16-2006 07:27 PM

One thing I can tell you. You're probably going to have to go all the way up to the St. Lawrence River, or you'll have to drop all your masts. On a 70 footer, I"m guessing you have 3. So that's a significant cost. You might want to look into having it trucked as well, just for perspective.

Good luck, sounds like it could be an interesting trip.
John

Dick Pluta 02-25-2006 01:28 AM

I did this exact trip from Michigan to the Bahamas spread over a couple of years. I sailed for many years out of Holland, on Lake Michigan. I had the boat trucked to Monroe, in the southeast corner of the state. From Monroe, I crossed Lake Erie and then into the Erie Canal. Then down the Hudson to New Jersey, where we spent a couple of years sailing out of Morgan, on Raritan Bay. After that I took an outside run to Norfolk, where the ICW begins. From there we went inside all the way to Fort Lauderdale, our jumping off spot for the crossing to Nassau, where we are now.

There are a couple of limitations that your 70 footer will impose. The overhead clearance on the ICW, which is what I took for a major part of the trip, is 60 feet. Controlling depth is supposed to be 12 feet but I had some close moments with my 5 foot draft. You'll have similar issues with the Erie Canal if you choose that route. I don't recall the controlling depth, but it ain't much. Masts down is a given. Length won't be a problem. I saw a cruise ship during my passage. It was specifically designed for the canal and does a circumnavigation of the eastern half of the US on a regular basis. I can give you a lot of particulars if that route is of any interest.

It was a great adventure. We're thinking about getting a bigger boat and my wife, who is a novice cruiser and not a brave soul, did the Maryland to Florida legs with me and says she would love to do it again.