Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2006

LaceyKay is on a distinguished road
Crazy dream is becoming reality!!!

Thank you to all of you who replied to the earlier posts. Some of you made me realize that I am way ahead of myself, and the rest of you gave me great inspiration.

Our plan has changed a little - a little more sensible now than just wanting to sail off into the sunset. I have been doing nothing but reading for the last two weeks and i have a lot better idea of reality now.

We just a purchased an old 24' weekender for about $1500. We are enrolled in private sailing lessons for 3 days this coming weekend. After that, we will spend every moment possible on the small boat learning and practicing as much as we can. We will also begin looking for a larger boat, about a 32' or 34' around the $25,000 range to purchase in August. In September we move onto the boat. The big change in our plan is that we are going to stay at home here in southwest florida for a couple months, until we feel comfortable moving on, and at that point we will only move as far as to the Keys. A few months there, and by that point, we should know what we are doing, and if you still are enjoying ourselves, we will move on the Bahamas, and so on. So the Caribbean isn't totally out of reach, but I realized that its going to be a couple of years until i get that far. And thats OK.

Someone suggested in the other post that i stick around florida for longer, it is a beautiful learning grounds. and they couldn't be more correct. that is what i will do.

i am telling you all all of this, becuase of the inspiration that i got last time, and also becuase of the criticism i got last time. It was all so helpful, and i welcome any that you may have of my new plan.

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-20-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
No dream is ever crazy, and within a dream, we may find more than we had ever imagined. It is only when we deny the dream, and seek it, within a fantasy, that it can not come true. Take note of every reef and shoal, but be not fearful, for there is naught, to hold you back, except yourself. Regret comes only when we eschew the chance, and live a life of, only if.

Carpe diem,
John
Old 02-20-2006

Jim H is on a distinguished road
Impressive...

I just got done reading your previous posts, and your enthusiasm is wonderful.

Good move going for the 24 foot weekender-- a lot can be learned from a boat that size, especially if it has some rudimentary systems to take care of and improve. I also believe you'll develop better skills as sailors by trying to master something smaller first.

Your "as long as its fun" statement is also that of Lin and Larry Pardey, who started at about the same age as you (but Larry had some serious experience by then).

It's nice to see someone use youth the way it should be used...

Keep us informed of your progress.

Jim H
Old 02-20-2006

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
John, well said , so very well said. It is those dreams that have kept me sailing 40+ years of my 50+ years of life.

LancyKay
Old 02-20-2006

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
To LancyKay, follow your dreams and heart you will longer and happier for it
Old 02-20-2006

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Way to go!
Congratulations on the purchase of your new sailing vessel.
Your plan makes a lot of sense: we all had to learn to walk before we could run. Keep us posted with your progress.
Old 02-23-2006

henryk is on a distinguished road
Congarats!!!!
Me and my family had the same dream,we are learning sailing on the small dinghy, than bigger boats, an take some offshore curses.Then we are selling the house, going to Florida, buying the boat there. improve sailing for as long as required, and off to the Bahamas, Cuba,Carribeans, Venezuela, Costa Rica.Hope will never have to go back to the land locked life
Old 03-04-2006

decisive is on a distinguished road
Congratulation on your purchase......
It's great to see your Dreams plans moving forward.....I think you have made some great decisions as to how to move forward.....My wife and are moving on-board our boat this May (in SW FL) with very similar plans over the next couple of years.....good luck and keep us posted.....
Old 03-04-2006

Baublesailor is on a distinguished road
Dreams

What is life without a dream to urge one forward?
Old 03-09-2006

Fitguy51 is on a distinguished road
Smile A dream

Now I dont feel like I am really that crazy. I am just starting the process of building to that dream. Just starting to look for a boat now. Traveling to Fla. in May on business and going down 2 days early to look. I have to admit that I have no idea what I am looking for but will know it when I see it. I want to make my boat my retirement home. This dream has several year to go so I am going to take my time. But it is always nice to have a DREAM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.