Senior Nappy Headed Ho

Denr is an unknown quantity at this point
And don't be a *****!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-06-2006
Banned

tommyt is on a distinguished road
Smile

This trip can be made with little problem in late April as long as you schedule by the weather window and not a calendar. Also, know that it is going to be v-e-r-y cold and dress for it.

We made a trip, including a lake crossing, the second week of June last year. To give you an idea of the changes in weather, we left Traverse City with 30 kts from the SSE and made the quickest trip we had ever done to Grand Traverse Light that morning. Then we turned for Leland and spent the entire afternoon beating into 8 footers to arrive there late in the evening. Great sailing day, and because we were sailing fairly close to shore for most of this the temps were not bad. Shore temp was 85, water temp 48, boat temp in the high 50's for the most part. One great day of sailing.
Second day to Washington Island, Wi was clear, crisp, same water temp, 5-8 kts of wind, land temp on both sides in the 80's, boat temp 56.

Third day the wind totally disapeared, temp in Wi and Mi was close to 90, water temp still the same, boat temp 58, lots of fog, motored to Northport with barely a ripple on the lake.
Fourth day Northport to Traverse City, quite morning in the 80's with 5 kts of wind, boat temp 60. Arriving in TC the wind kicked up to 20 kts, and we stayed out and sailing at the base of the bay in warm temps and great wind.

In these cases NOAA was right on every day. They were wrong on the 3rd and 4th days when we started, but they corrected their forecast for reality. Kind of like TV weathermen get it right the closer they get to the storm.

We dressed in 3 layers and were fine because we planned for the cold water temps and the sun not being able to keep us warm. If we would have packed shorts and tees because of the on shore weather we would have frozen our bottoms off.

Just looked at a temp map of the north lake and most water temps are in the low 30's. It will take until July to get to high 60's.

Bottom line, be flexible enough to go with a good days weather window and dress for downhill skiing and you will be fine. All this assumes that the boat is sound for the trip.

Have fun

Tom Mallery
Splash Dance
Old 03-07-2006

Aircooled is on a distinguished road
Great info

TommyT, thanks for the info from personal experience. I'll take it.
Old 12-27-2006
hooyasailor

hooyasailor is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to hooyasailor
Thumbs down Denr Senior member - Some sailors really are assholes!

Hey! Aircooled,
I just finished reviewing some of the past threads posted be ya good old dock mate, "Denr". He's got crude comments towards lots of folks, do ya think! I think I'm gonna code that guy on my threads to ignore list.
Just wondering, Did you guys ever get to meet? At the dock, I mean? If so, sorry that I missed it, sounds like it could have been fun. Nay! hell I bet he's too old to still be fun.
hooyasailor said it,
have fun, sail safe,
See ya around.
Old 12-30-2006
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
I moved my boat last year from Milwaukee, WI to Sturgeon Bay, WI in mid May. I can tell you the lake went from a mill pond one day to 60kts of wind and 10+ ft seas. We were holed up in Sheboygan for 24hrs to let the weather pass. For fun we sat in the boaters lounge and watched the waves break over the sea wall and spray over the top of the 60 ft. lighthouse on the end.

As already stated, don't under estimate just because it is called a "lake".
Old 12-31-2006
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
34, it's from last march.

hooya-try to find a more recent question that someone is actually interested in before you start calling names. It was Denr's attempt at humor. Stick around. Be cool. Talk sailing. Butt kicking is 3 doors down on "fight club".
Old 12-31-2006
Banned

tommyt is on a distinguished road
Sailaway,

Well said!

Tom