Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2014

cranki is on a distinguished road
Storage Unit?

Looking for some advice here, trying to clarify my thinking. I moved aboard less than 2 years ago and am staying put in CT for the next 4 or 5 years. Am divorced and have a bunch of stuff still at my ex house I need to deal with. Furniture, tools, camping and skiing gear, TV and stereo gear, artwork, books, etc.

I can rent a storage unit for approximately $100 per month. This doesn't sound too bad on a monthly or yearly basis but when I think long term I would be shelling out 6k for 5 years.

I plan to retire and cruise around in 5 years, but I would like to keep my stuff as I will likely purchase a small condo in the mountains and I like the furniture I have. A lot of it is antiques I refinished myself, and while nothing is extremely valuable, it is good stuff and there is sentimental value as well.

I already know the correct answer which is just get rid of everything but am having a hard time coming to grips with that.

Any help? Compromise solutions?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-06-2014

FourthCoast is on a distinguished road
Re: Storage Unit?

I can hold on to the tools, TV and stereo for the next five years if you want

Scott.
Old 03-06-2014
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranki View Post
I would like to keep my stuff as I will likely purchase a small condo in the mountains and I like the furniture I have. A lot of it is antiques I refinished myself, and while nothing is extremely valuable, it is good stuff and there is sentimental value as well.
That means keep it if you can afford to. You have concrete plans to use it again and it has enough value to you to make the cost worth it. Store it. Maybe shop around for a cheaper storage shed (look in small towns in the boonies).
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Port Aransas, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-06-2014

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

How much stuff??A garage full? A room-full? A large-ish closet?
A lot depends on volume needed and location. Possibilities include; but not limited to buying an enclosed trailer, a used const..office trailer and a CONEX box. All those under 2500$. Possibly have friend with property stow it for you out behind or in thegarage or rent a piece of ground. Exterior storage seems to be a bit cheaperthat the row-stows.
Crate or pack the small stuff. Wrap the furniture in used shrink-wrap, if ya can find it. Get rid of everythingnthat has no intrinsic value or personal memento value.

I am selling off the house and prepping to live a aboard. I had a hard time parting with anything.. I have found that starting with a "Key" piece , making the rest of that set irrellavent. Getting shed of that makes disposing of the rest a lot easier. Consider what you would do if you had to.be your own Executor and close out your estate Another way to look at it is to figger what you'd leave for your heirs and friends and dispose of the rest.

A few mementos go a long way! Always new mementos to gather

HTH
jimgo likes this.
Old 03-06-2014

Delta-T is on a distinguished road

PODS...they will bring container to you, pick it up, store it and deliver it anywhere you want. I'm sure they also offer conditioned storage as well. Self Storage Containers and Portable Storage Units | PODS

Your boat yard may let you keep a storage unit on site. http://outbackstoragecontainers.com/...FewRMwodqRUAeA

Last edited by Delta-T; 03-06-2014 at 12:05 PM.
Old 03-06-2014

Torch is on a distinguished road

"Furniture, tools, camping and skiing gear, TV and stereo gear, artwork, books, etc."

You made a good case for the furniture but does any of this other stuff have sentimental value? I'd get rid of anything not sentimental. The TV and stereo gear might be obsolete in 5 years anyway. The tools can always be purchased later as can the TV, books, etc.

Another option would be to loan it to somebody you trust that may actually need it. Have you got grown children that you can leave it with? Everything but the furniture can be stored in an attic or closet and not really get in the way.
RainDog and fred1diver like this.
Old 03-06-2014

cranki is on a distinguished road

If storing I want it accessible and climate controlled...let's out pods or container on someone's property. I have 2 sisters with big houses and both my brother in laws are complete pack rats: one storing the households of his deceased parents and 2 aunts, the other collects a wide assortment of architectural features from old houses, everything from doors and moldings to..well to whatever. So they don't seem to have room for my furniture.

If I store the furniture, I may as well hold onto everything else because I will be able to fit it into the size storage unit I need to fit the furniture.

Other considerations: Seasonal stuff like skiing gear - right now I keep it in my car because it is winter and I am using it. Not gonna stop skiing anytime soon so I need to hang onto it. Also seasonal clothing. Tools I will need as I am working on the boat.

Sounds like I am talking myself into the storage unit. Save me some $$ and talk me out of it!

I forgot to mention the 5 or 6 guitars. (another reason for accessable, climate controlled storage) 4 are on the boat with me, 2 are at my girlfriends small apartment. 1 or 2 are for sale but I have noticed a severe lack of a Gibson Les Paul in my small collection and may have to remedy that soon.

Last edited by cranki; 03-06-2014 at 12:45 PM.
Old 03-06-2014

Markwesti is on a distinguished road

About 5yrs. ago we were forced to make a decision . Because of our personal economy. Mrs. Westi and I decided to get rid of stuff and down size. I won't go into details but lets just say we had a lot of stuff. We got rid of every thing (but not the boat !) bought a tiny town house , no garage . We got new furniture , but we didn't need much. We still have 2 cars. . My SUV doubles as a storage bin. So my point is and I'm only saying it worked for us .It feels good to have a simpler life .
Old 03-06-2014

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

We are transitioning to full-time boat life. To store our land stuff we bought a covered storage trailer:

It will allow us to move our stuff around in the future if need be, and thanks to friends who will store it on their land, we won't have any ongoing costs.
downeast450 likes this.
Old 03-06-2014
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

I think you really need to consider how much of the stuff you'll be storing could be re-purchased for the $6K, especially if you throw in the money made from selling off the current stuff. That buys you a lot of tools and other stuff. When you're living aboard, will you still be skiing frequently? If not, sell the skis and buy newer equipment when you're ready. Hell, if you have my luck, somewhere around year 4 I'd wind up breaking my leg while aboard and doing enough damage that I can't really ski any more, and I'd have wasted the storage cost for that stuff.

Even the furniture is an issue. After 5 years in storage, it's not going to be the same, even in a good, climate-controlled unit. Bugs get in. Mice, rats, birds, etc. get in. There's a good chance that with THAT much time, your stuff isn't going to be worth a whole lot, and you'll want/need new anyway.

I'm sentimental and tend to hold onto things (my wife will tell you that that's an understatement), but if you're going to downsize, then downsize. Bite the bullet and do it. It will be painful, but in the end I think it would be worth it.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.