Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2006

hamiam is on a distinguished road
can boatus help?

perhaps boatus would take up this cause; they lobby for boaters as part of their service package.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-01-2006

jared is on a distinguished road
"The strange thing about anyone putting up a fight is that you never hear of Hunter, Catalina and all the manufacturers sounding off."
Why is that strange? Do GM and Ford demand free indoor parking for your car? Of course not.
Just because boaters are ignorant of property rights, doesn't mean boaters have the right to confiscate private property. If you want to do that, you get the local government to take it by eminent domain, and then declare it to be a free municipal anchorage.
Oh, wait a minute, that's right...it ain't gonna be free unless you LIVE THERE. Might as well campaign for free room and board anytime you want to travel with your car. You'll get that sooner.
Old 06-01-2006
Captain

paulthober is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jared
Just because boaters are ignorant of property rights, doesn't mean boaters have the right to confiscate private property.
Huh? I thought this thread was about anchoring. Last I heard the sea is not private property.

Reminds me of a friend in ME who anchored in a nice cove for the night and soon afterward a homeowner on shore hailed him and told him he couldn't anchor there. Where do people get the idea that they own the water?

Paul
Old 06-01-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by jared
"The strange thing about anyone putting up a fight is that you never hear of Hunter, Catalina and all the manufacturers sounding off."
Why is that strange? Do GM and Ford demand free indoor parking for your car? Of course not.
Just because boaters are ignorant of property rights, doesn't mean boaters have the right to confiscate private property. If you want to do that, you get the local government to take it by eminent domain, and then declare it to be a free municipal anchorage.
Oh, wait a minute, that's right...it ain't gonna be free unless you LIVE THERE. Might as well campaign for free room and board anytime you want to travel with your car. You'll get that sooner.
I hate to break it to you Jared, but the water past the low-tide line is generally considered public lands in most cases. Navigation is governed federally, not by individual states, and water on navigable bodies below the low-water mark is considered navigable...and generally under federal jurisdiction.

Indoor parking for cars is totally different, as the land that the parking lot is on is generally owned by a private person or company. The ocean is not owned by anyone.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-02-2006

Mkfcdl is on a distinguished road
Parking for free

Regarding parking...if I'm traveling cross-country by car and need to pull in some place for the night to park and sleep in my car, I can pull into an interstate rest area for free. It certainly doesn't have the security of a motel (mooring) or the amenities of a hotel (marina), but it's free at my own risk.

Why should anchoring in federal waters be any different?

(And I should add that I usually pick the expensive marinas for the wife's sake but ability to pay for luxury shouldn't diminish the rights of others.)

Last edited by Mkfcdl; 06-02-2006 at 02:00 AM.
Old 06-02-2006
Administrator

administrator has disabled reputation
I paid $20/night for an anchorage at John Pennenkamp state park in the keys last year - well worth it... beautiful place.
Old 06-02-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Anchoring in a state park is often a different matter. The anchoring fees there go to maintain the park. Driving within the park often requires that you pay a fee to enter the park, so I don't really have a problem with that.

What irks me is the cities/towns/states that charge you to anchor in otherwise open bays, harbors and rivers, that are freely navigable.

Some towns have taken a different approach and have instituted landing fees. This is far less objectionable, as it is only charged to those who go ashore, usually as a fee to use a dinghy dock.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-03-2006

chuck5499 is on a distinguished road
Like sailnaway i live in Florida and it is very unfriendly to boaters if your boat is less that a million - i live in miami and have seen my dock fees double in two years and we are losing marinas to high rise condos -the city and county are taking control of the waterways and making it almost impossible to anchor - in miami beach they will actually tow your boat out of their waters if you stay more than a few days (i forget the actual) as they claim cruisers are riff raft and they really don't wnat them - soon the only people who will have boats are those that can tow them and take them home at night and the million dollar boats as the rest will be chased out. i can't wait to see how soon the entire marine industry in south fla goes through a depression when all of a sudden the only thing to work on is 20-25' boats on trailers.
as for me as soon as i can sell my house i'm outa here.
chuck and soulmates
Old 06-13-2006
Banned

Rickm505 is on a distinguished road
There is an active thread on the Cruisers Forum on this subject. I guess it's not surprising as it's a subject that is near and dear to us all.

I had posted this .....

The right of navigation never had an anchoring time limit of any kind attached to it. What actually happened is that in 1953 Congress past the "Submerged Land Act.", which essentially handed over rights to waterways (out to the three mile limit) to the individual States, removing the US Federal Government from the discussion. This law was upheld in 1977 by the US Supreme Court.

When it becomes a State issue rather than a Federal issue, it's now 100% local politics.

He who has the most money wins or.... might makes 'right'. Or... Damn the public, 'full speed ahead"

Rick in Florida
Old 06-18-2006

chuck711 is on a distinguished road
We have ruined it for all..........

If you've ever anchored in St. Augustine you would understand why cities are forced to put in moorings and forbid anchoring. Because of the warm weather and ability to live outside year round, the over crowded anchorage is filled with squatters. "Boats" that have no motors and that have not moved in years inhabited by in most cases homeless people that rowed out and found a abandened boat that they broken into to live on. We cruisers have ruined it for everyone! By nature we spend very little money. Why would a city want us there? Even St. Mary's in Georgia. They love boaters, yet there is a period of time you can stay there,past that you get fined. Sadly we need these restrictions in place to keep a city's
waterfront not an eyesore. It only takes a few bad apples to ruin it for everyone.........