Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2006

options is on a distinguished road
Crusing the Virgin & Leeward islands

My wife and I are planning a six month trip to the Virgin & Leeward Islands, from Dec 06, to May 07. We are thinking to ship our Catalina 350, with either Dockwise or Seven Star round trip, from Ft. Lauderdale. Since Seven Star is alot cheaper, we would like to know if anyone has had experience with this company. We would also appreciate any advise and suggestions, on what not to miss places, and what are the best routes for this time of year.

Mark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-21-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Mark..we had our boat shipped by Dockwise from Martinique to Ft. Lauderdale after damage by Ivan. The took great care of us and the boat. Suggest you get the Doyle guides for the area as they really cover the highlights and not to miss spots well.
Old 03-22-2006

Camaraderie,
Thank you for your reply. I already got the Doyle's Book, and it is very useful. I know that Dockwise is really good, but I got a price quote from Seven Star that was 20% less than Dockwise. Being that I need to ship the boat round trip, this would end up being a big difference.
Thanks again.
Mark
Old 03-22-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Mark...Suggest you SAIL back up through the Bahamas with the wind at your back and save even more! This is an easy trip with lots of neat places to stop along the way and NO long ocean passages and BENIGN wieather in May. Getting TO the BVI's & Leewards is TOUGH but going home is easy.
As to dockwise...we were told you could get a 20% discount by booking early so you might want to check this. Have heard mixed reviews on 7 star...you may want to ask the question on the SSCA bulletin board or do a search over there to get some other opinions. (www.ssca.org)
Old 03-23-2006

BobRivard is on a distinguished road
Wink Only mad dogs and englishmen sail to weather!

I bought a boat in St. Thomas and covered PR to Martinique. A lot of folks start a cruise in St. Thomas and make it only to St. John before drowning in the rum. I would suggest that you're better off shipping to Trinidad and sailing up from there all the way to Fla. There are excellent nets and publications all along the way that can help you avoid bad spots and keep you in the loop concerning safety. This past January I made the Anagada passage to St. Martin and it was incredibly wet and wild. Coming back in early March was much more pleasant. If the two of you have limited offshore experience, take the easy direction. You can always backtrack to revisit special spots after you experience the big picture.
Old 03-25-2006

Thank you all for your replies. I have decided to ship with Dockwise to Martinique and sail north as suggested, probably all the way to Ft. Lauderdale. I hope the 6 months will be enough, although it is a major compromise for my wife who is somewhat hesitant about the trip. We are also planning to travel with our small dog, who made a trip with us last year to the Abacos. Are there any special regulations cocerning travel there with pets?
Mark
Old 03-25-2006
moderate?

Leave the dog! Check out the BVI quarantine regulations here...
http://www.bvivacations.com/Pets.html

Good choice on Martinique w. Dockwise. Le Marin is a great place to start your trip...hot baguettes and cheap French wine!
Old 06-25-2007
Beneteau 440

gilsurf is on a distinguished road
What about cats that will not be taken ashore? Anguilla, St. Martin, St. Barts? Are these regs just for taking them ashore? Do the customs people really need to know about a cat deep in a locker?
Old 07-06-2007

Swaggie is on a distinguished road
i was dissappointed to read the bit about hiding a cat deep in a locker. the regulations are to protect all animals from horific diseases and you would not only risk your own cat but on your return all other cats. i am not a cat lover but . . . . . .
Old 07-06-2007
Beneteau 440

gilsurf is on a distinguished road
I guess that sounded a bit horrific. The cats are in the locker by choice... anti-social and a wee bit neurotic. The cats came with the ring, so no choice there.

As to subjecting other cats to possible disease, our cats rarely make it to the cockpit and are all st by the vet. So, not much worry there.

It seems that the regs are there for animals to be taken ashore, correct?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.