Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Minnewaska

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 4 Weeks Ago

dalepaulson is on a distinguished road
Bahama traffic

Hello,
I have questions about traffic I guess. How often do you actually run into people out of port? Local/Gov officals? If I do not land in the bahamas and cruise through is it mandatory to check it? I've searched and its a bit muddled to me.. If it is posted and I missed it, I apologize.
THanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road
Re: Bahama traffic

Just pay the fee. It's their country and if you pass through it you are assuming some risk and they have to deal with it if you need rescue. It is the same as in the USA, you may not like the taxes but either pay them or risk jail.
I've talked to idjit cruisers who try all kinds of BS to avoid paying but when you go pay and talk to the people they are so friendly. It is a matter of respect for them for you to pay, sure, it may be exorbitant but for now it is their law.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

http://www.noonsite.com/Countries/Ba...ties#Clearance

As long as you don't drop the anchor and are just passing through, you don't have to clear in. But, do not try to beat the system and simply hide from the authorities. You not only get in big trouble, but the rest of us end up being hassled more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
http://www.noonsite.com/Countries/Ba...ties#Clearance

As long as you don't drop the anchor and are just passing through, you don't have to clear in. But, do not try to beat the system and simply hide from the authorities. You not only get in big trouble, but the rest of us end up being hassled more.
Exactly. Do not make the mistake of thinking that the Bahamian authorities don't know you are in their waters because you they don't interdict and board you.

There is a huge task force operation called OPBAT that the U.S. Government, the Bahamian Government, and the Turks and Caicos/UK Government participate in together. Part of that is routine surveillance flights by USG aircraft with radar, whose data is provided to the Bahamian Government and used to track vessels.

http://www.thebahamasweekly.com/publ...gua27373.shtml

Not too mention that almost every helicopter you see fly over you in the Bahamas (marked or unmarked), is logging your boat name and information, and that is also fed into that database.

The one thing you don't want to do, is look like somebody who is trying to do something sneaky. (Unless you just want to see what a Nor-Tech 46 looks like up close).

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico

Last edited by Group9; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:29 AM.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

dalepaulson is on a distinguished road
Awesome. Thanks yall. I didbt want to appear to be trying to pull wool over on anyone's eyes, hsd to check. Yhanks again guys
Dale
Old 4 Weeks Ago

ebs001 is on a distinguished road

I spoke to a delivery captain this winter and he said he fuels up in the Bahamas because he is not required to clear in with customs and pay the $300. But I think it is always a foolish move to seek advice on anything relating to customs from any source other than the authorities in the country in question. You can direct your query here customs@bahamas.gov.bs
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs001 View Post
I spoke to a delivery captain this winter and he said he fuels up in the Bahamas because he is not required to clear in with customs and pay the $300. But I think it is always a foolish move to seek advice on anything relating to customs from any source other than the authorities in the country in question. You can direct your query here customs@bahamas.gov.bs
I have a feeling the delivery captain is just getting away with it and the marina pumping fuel is looking the other way too. If he delivers stinkpots, that would be a big profit. Dangerous business.

The Bahamas are not terribly corrupt, at least not the out islands, but maybe a little.

Years ago, I had to fuel an aircraft on an outisland (from 55 gal drums, btw). You carried $100 bills to pay, as these remote places had no such thing as a credit card terminal. The bill came to just over an even hundred dollar amount and the guys says he has zero change. As soon as I told him he could keep $40, the rest of the change instantly appeared.

BTW, this will burn your bacon. You can arrive and get a flight cruising permit in the Bahamas for nearly nothing. I think you pay something like ten or fifteen dollars to depart. Maybe its because they know you're going to have to spend money on hotels, food, fuel, etc. Sailboat often can spend little to nothing within their economy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

that is probably why the sub-thirty foot boats pay so much less than those over. The smaller boats are less self-sufficent

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -buddha

Tags
bahamas , customs , secluded